Readers’ wildlife photos

We have several contributions today. The first is from reader Patrick Tracy, who sent a prize photo. His words (and those of the other contributors) are indented:

I take a lot of photos of the local critters. Some of them come out okay, but once in a while I get a good one. I feel like this might be up to par for your wildlife photos posts. It’s a Cynomys ludovicianus, a.k.a. a black-tailed prairie dog, caught in the act of a jump-yip. The photo was take at Rothman Park in Lafayette, Colorado on March 23, 2020 (yesterday).
From Reader John Crisp:

Here is a red kite [Milvus milvus] taken near the Thames in Berkshire, UK, this afternoon, during the one daily piece of exercise we are now allowed under the new emergency rules, no hardship to those of us fortunate to live on the edge of countryside.

And from reader Reese Vaughn, whose email header was “The best wildlife photo I ever took.”

Six years ago, back when I had a real camera instead of the Iphone. Brown pelicans [Pelicanus occidentalis] in San Antonio Bay, Texas

1. Posted March 25, 2020 at 8:27 am | Permalink

👍 Were you laying down to take the prairie dog picture?

• Posted March 27, 2020 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

I use a Fuji HS20EXR which has a tilt out screen. I crouched down low on my knees and had the screen tilted up, a little like using a twin lens reflex.

2. Gary
    Posted March 25, 2020 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Those are all gems. Thanks to those who took the pix and to Jerry for posting them.

3. Debra Coplan
    Posted March 25, 2020 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Really exciting photos! Perfect timing on capturing those photos. Thanks-

4. Posted March 25, 2020 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Excellent shots.

Posted March 25, 2020 at 10:24 am | Permalink

I can imagine the brown pelican was probably traveling 40 mph. Timing is everything.

6. John CRISP
    Posted March 25, 2020 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Hi. The photograph of the red kite was taken using a Sony RX10 Mark IV camera. 1/1000 sec. f/5 219.82 mm, ISO 100. It is a JPEG photo, though I have the RAW version. It is unprocessed, except for cropping. Perfect conditions, perfect light, all I had to do was point and shoot…

7. Barbara Radcliffe
    Posted March 25, 2020 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

All great photos. I really love the pelicans! what great timing to get that!

8. Posted March 27, 2020 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

The prairie dog shot was done with a Fuji HS20EXR: RAF, f/8, 1/450, ISO 200, no filter. I suspect it was at or near full zoom. I used Silkypix Raw File Converter to process the image and export the JPEG, just a bit of contrast and color enhancement. The image is not cropped.