Photos of readers

Today’s reader is Divy Figueroa, who treats exotic animals. She also sent a picture of the family cat.

Here are a couple of photos of myself and a third of my beloved Jango for you to enjoy.

I’ve worked in the Veterinary field over 18 years, as a Vet Tech and Practice Manager. My husband (the vet) and I run a Mobile Vet service where we treat exotics and reptiles. As an animal lover I can say there is never a dull moment!

The first pic of myself is with a client’s Galapagos tortoise.

When I asked her if it was legal to own such a tortoise, she responded:

It is illegal to import them from the Galapagos, yes, but it is allowed for tortoises that were in the country already to be bred and sold, as long as owners or potential buyers have the proper permits and follow the regulations and guidelines of their state. These guys were captive-born in Florida, and the owner has all the paperwork and permits to own them. One aspect of our job is to do USDA inspections to make sure that collectors and zoos are following proper husbandry and care in their facilities. These guys have about 6 acres to wander about, grazing all day. They are slow, but magnificent animals to behold. I never tire of seeing them. But then again I am a reptile lover, tortoises in particular, so I may be a little biased.

The second photo is of my trip to Italy last year, with a view of Mt. Vesuvius from  my room.

Enduring Jango’s judging gaze, haha.

You can see Jango and his brother Boba in a previous post on this site, and some of Divy’s reptile photos (and more cat pics) here and here. And, for self-promotion, I’ll throw in this picture that I got from Divy a while back:

1. Frank Bath
    Posted September 8, 2019 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Good to see a Galapagos tortoise in good hands. I wonder if Divy knows if any US bred tortoises are re-introduced to the islands?

• Divy
      Posted September 8, 2019 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

That is a good question, but I am not aware of any breeder within the US working to re-introduce these tortoises back to the Galapagos. I’m not even sure if their government would allow this, for fear that they may introduce diseases to the native and already fragile fauna. They do, however, have several conservation groups working within the islands to help protect and restore the remaining tortoises, including farms where they hatch the tortoises and re-introduce into the wild.

2. Janet
    Posted September 8, 2019 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Divy, very interesting. Must be pretty tricky to treat those big tortoises.

3. Randall Schenck
    Posted September 8, 2019 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Some really good photos and the cats are great.

Posted September 8, 2019 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

It’s very satisfying to see people making a big difference in the welfare of animals. With a vet in the family, I’m very much aware of how animals can have terrible lives or good ones depending on the humans in their midst.

• Blue
      Posted September 8, 2019 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

+1, Mr rickflick.

Blue

Posted September 8, 2019 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

What a fascinating job you and your husband have. What was wrong with the big guy, or were you just doing a check-up? He’s probably still got many decades ahead of him.

Beautiful cats, and Jango is a great name.

Incidentally, I remember your Readers’ Wildlife photo post from a couple of years ago…many cool reptiles and turtle knick-knacks.

• Mark R.
      Posted September 8, 2019 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

I assumed the tortoise was male…sorry for the presumption.

• Jenny Haniver
      Posted September 8, 2019 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

“What a fascinating job you and your husband have.”

• Divy
      Posted September 8, 2019 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mark. This was just a general check up and facility inspection. When something is wrong, it does present a challenge for us, because although they are slow, they are very strong and heavy. And you are right, although he is in his twenties, he will be outliving us all 😊

6. phoffman56
    Posted September 8, 2019 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

That tortoise is a gorgeous animal!

I’d really like to get to Chile, Peru and Ecuador (inc. Galapagos) some day, but too old now I think.

In trying to guess where the Vesuvius pic was taken, I’d maybe bet that part of Sorrento or a nearby town is in the middle ground, though the volcano looks a bit too distant maybe. But there seems too much coastline to the right of the mountain to be taken from Capri and too much to the left for Ischia (where I’ve never been)??

• Divy
      Posted September 8, 2019 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Yes, it was Sorrento

7. yazikus
    Posted September 8, 2019 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Lovely photos! I had a long time client whose family had a generational tortoise pet – it was rescued from the desert (where it had had its shell painted and was left upside down) back in the sixties. It was passed through the family and was believed to be near 100 years old. His name was Lionel and he preferred green grapes to red. My client, who was getting up there in years, made sure to make provisions for Lionel’s care in his well. Wonderful creatures.

8. merilee
    Posted September 8, 2019 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Beautiful pics, Divy. I misread the intro and was expecting to see one third of a kitty🙀

9. Posted September 8, 2019 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing these, Divy! What an interesting career you have.

10. Barbara C. Radcliffe
    Posted September 9, 2019 at 2:29 am | Permalink

Great photos, and I love your cat Jango and his reading material!

11. allison
    Posted September 9, 2019 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Jango looks like an awesome kitty!