Notes to readers

I periodically put up this reminder because some people either haven’t read the commenting rules (see those rules here) or have forgotten them. Please review them on the sidebar or here if you’re either a newbie or a regular, although most of the regulars behave well.

One thing I’d like to emphasize is Rule #9:

Try not to dominate threads, particularly in a one-on-one argument. I’ve found that those are rarely informative, and the participants never reach agreement. A good guideline is that if your comments constitute over 10% of the comments on a thread, you’re posting too much.

I’ve found that if one or two people over-dominate a thread it inhibits others from participating (or so readers have told me)

One other note to readers. I get about 300 emails per day, making it hard to keep up with correspondence, much less with other things to do. The volume of email makes it hard for me to give people personal answers, and sometimes I even lose stuff. Please do not email me every day, even if you have juicy items to tell me about: I’d prefer you save up items and send them to me every couple of days. Of course, if I make errors, typos, or the like, you’re invited to email me immediately.  Also, if there are time-sensitive matters, feel free to get in touch.

1. Randall Schenck
    Posted October 30, 2020 at 8:34 am | Permalink

No one who is retired should be getting 300 emails per day. Not even 30 a day.

• Posted October 30, 2020 at 8:44 am | Permalink

You said it! But of course having this website guarantees a lot of emails. I don’t mind a high volume, but 300 is a bit much. . .

2. Nicolaas Stempels
    Posted October 30, 2020 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Da Roolz, I found them too drastic initially, but they see to it that your site is a great site to visit. Civilised and generally informative or funny comments, rarely, well basically never, descending into the gross flame wars and insults that characterise so many comment sections.
    If ever I start a website, you can count on it I’ll shamelessly plagiarise ‘Da Roolz’.

3. Posted October 30, 2020 at 9:42 am | Permalink

I love Da Roolz, Jerry. Thank you!

4. Mark
    Posted October 30, 2020 at 10:11 am | Permalink

WAIT A MINUTE!

If Twitter can’t have rules, neither can you!

;>)

5. Posted October 30, 2020 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Sorry 😢

6. gravelinspector-Aidan
    Posted October 30, 2020 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

300 emails a day is an email from every 243rd follower of the website. A little over one per follower per year.
    It very definitely could be worse.

7. gravelinspector-Aidan
    Posted October 30, 2020 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

BTW, is anyone keeping a close enough eye on the numbers to predict when the 100,000th follower signs up? I’m thinking late 2022, but from a very rough memory of numbers.

8. jhs
    Posted October 30, 2020 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

I subscribe to this blog using Feedly, and plan to be the 99,999th or 100,000th or 100,001st follower. 🙂

9. Wayne Y Hoskisson
    Posted October 30, 2020 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Wise Roolz. The comments on WEIT are worth reading. That is not a universal experience.

• sugould
      Posted October 31, 2020 at 8:16 am | Permalink

Yes, and without the screaming or calling each other “troll!” which is what drove me from other websites. Manners are important to me. 🙂

10. eric
    Posted October 30, 2020 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Technically, this means the first 9 comments are always in violation of da roolz.

Joking, joking… 🙂

11. Posted October 30, 2020 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

No worries.
    I say for all of us we very much appreciate what you do and what you write/link.

It sure makes my insomniac 2-4am time for years now.

People of good conscience wouldn’t waste your time on trivialities.

all the best,

D.A., NYC
    and you even made my d-g famous!
    hahahaha.

12. phoffman56
    Posted October 31, 2020 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

A joke, and I waited till after #9, for an obvious reason:

“..if your comments constitute over 10% of the comments on a thread, you’re posting too much”

#1 would be 100%; if no repetition, #2 would be 50%; etc. , so many sinners here!