Here’s the copperhead!

Did you spot it? (Original tweet below.).

It wasn’t that easy! It is a very cryptic snake.

Here’s the reveal:

Original tweet:

1. BobTerrace
    Posted April 26, 2020 at 11:04 am | Permalink

I only see the lower half now.

2. CR
    Posted April 26, 2020 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Double wow: I thought I’d found it, but somehow only saw the caudal half and couldn’t see the head (although my wife was able to trace the whole thing).

And can’t resist, although not sure if I’m pasting this properly by Da Roolz:

<a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvaEJzoaYZkLinkText

• CR
      Posted April 26, 2020 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Well, that didn’t work. Last try.
      LinkText

• Ken Phelps
      Posted April 26, 2020 at 11:29 am | Permalink

A great narrative song.

3. Posted April 26, 2020 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Nope: I saw this on FB and gave up…never would have seen it.

4. Dustin
    Posted April 26, 2020 at 11:18 am | Permalink

I feel like this is not traced correctly (being very familiar with these snakes). I think the snakeā€™s head is in the middle of the trace and the upper half is just leaves and other debris.

• Posted April 26, 2020 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Correct. The upper half is pareidolia.

5. Nicolaas Stempels
    Posted April 26, 2020 at 11:56 am | Permalink

This one I’d rate as difficult. Even after the ‘reveal’, going back to the original I find it difficult to see. Perfect camouflage.

6. Posted April 26, 2020 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Still can’t see it. Probably just me.

7. Matt
    Posted April 26, 2020 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

I still don’t get it. I see a snake only in the lower half of the red tracing. Is this a joke?

8. Posted April 26, 2020 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

In fact, the drawing is incorrect, as only the lower half contains the copperhead, where you can see its head.

• Posted April 26, 2020 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Okay, I’ll fix it. Shows how good I am at this!

Thanks.

• CR
        Posted April 26, 2020 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure I agree. All I saw initially was the lower half, but I still can’t see a head there, while my wife traced the serpentine shape up to what looks like a typical viper’s head. True, much of the upper surface is leaves and debris (in a serpentine shape), but might the snake have burrowed underneath for camouflage? Would be nice to hear from the person who saw it and took the image. Meanwhile, I vote for your initial, larger outline, despite my first impression.

• Dustin
          Posted April 26, 2020 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

As a snake expert I can assure you the snake is only in the bottom half. If you canā€™t make out the head, there are a couple of other signs. One is the way the neck is coiled into a tight S configuration vs the looser winding of the body. Another is by counting the bands on the snake – at least 14 are visible so there is no way the snake spans that entire trace from the original.

9. Randy Bessinger
    Posted April 26, 2020 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

I looked but could not find it. Pretty amazing.

10. Posted April 26, 2020 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Even with the red outline, that snake is difficult to spot. Scary to think you could step on one so easily. šŸ˜¦

• Jenny Haniver
      Posted April 26, 2020 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

As my father used to say when I overlooked something right in front of me, “If it had been a snake, it would have bitten you.”

• Posted April 26, 2020 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Ouch. Yes…it’s easy to forget that being aware of our surroundings is actually a survival skill.

11. infiniteimprobabilit
    Posted April 26, 2020 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Makes me so relieved there are no snakes in NZ, since I like walking in the bush and usually don’t bother with shoes.

(I don’t dislike snakes, I wouldn’t mind a pet python, but that picture of the invisible copperhead would haunt me if I were walking in, say, the US or Oz).

cr

12. Posted April 27, 2020 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

This is well nigh impossible to spot. Now I can see the head and half of the snake, while the rest is leaf litter. Very nice.

13. Andrea Kenner
    Posted May 2, 2020 at 7:11 am | Permalink

Wow, right there, and I totally missed it! I would probably have been bitten.