A creditable Cartagena lunch (without lizards)

Today’s almuerzo was at a terrific local place: La Mulata. This is my second meal there, and I recommend it most highly.  First a small bowl of soup, then a huge bowl of the famous potato-and-chicken soup, ajiaco, and a tall frosty glass of “limonada de coco,” a lemonade heavily infused with coconut and milk. There are even more tropical fruit juices here than in Bogotá.

Total damage: the equivalent of $5.  This place has classy food at bargain prices.

1. mgjinich
    Posted November 18, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Don’t forget to show us the colorful streets of Cartagena!!!!

2. Posted November 18, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Mmmm, that chicken soup looks delectable. I need to travel more. Foods of the world are just too good.

3. llewelly
    Posted November 18, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Pshaw. Who needs lizards when you can eat tasty dinosaur flesh?

4. daveau
    Posted November 18, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

So, let me get this straight: you had soup, followed by soup?

• Torbjörn Larsson, OM
      Posted November 18, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

youp.

5. Matt Bowman
    Posted November 18, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

The meals you’ve been eating look so damn good. I’d especially like to try some of those drinks.

6. Posted November 19, 2010 at 10:19 am | Permalink

What kind of soup was the small one? We want details, man!

I wonder how they mix lemonade and milk without curdling the milk. It sounds really good – a little ice cream chain in San Francisco called Uncle Gaylord’s made something called “lotus cream” that was lemon and almond and honey – in a milky base, that is, it wasn’t sherbet. It was soooooooooo good.