Billing and cooing: Wood ducks wooing at Botany Pond

A female woodie (Aix sponsa) joined Frisky in the pond this morning. It was adorable; they’re swimming together and Frisky is grooming the yet-to-be-named hen. The sexual dimorphism of the species is very evident now, but the tender way that Frisky grooms the lady is adorable! I’m entranced.

For the action, see the video at bottom:

Females have grayish bills, while even young males have pink on their bills. This is clearly a Lady Duck. What should we call her?

The sexual dimorphism is striking:

Frisky showed her considerable attention:

Sometimes I’m not sure she liked it!

A proud pair:

And a lovely video of Frisky grooming the female. I love the way he makes sure to nibble under her chin.

1. revelator60
    Posted October 20, 2020 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

“What should we call her?”

In light of her color, I suggest Jane Grey.

2. Glenda Palmer
    Posted October 20, 2020 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Delightful. Hope Frisky and lady friend stay for a while longer and then come back in spring.

What a pleasure for PCC to enjoy these close and personal views of duck life – and then post these engaging posts, images, videos.

3. Posted October 20, 2020 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Should they be billing and cooing with winter coming on?

4. Posted October 20, 2020 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous ducks

5. W.T. Effingham
    Posted October 20, 2020 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

I just vaporized a solid half hour watching Randy Rainbow videos that “somehow” popped in immediately after the duckylove clip. (I chuckled so much, I’ve got nearly visible and now.) Anyhow, make no mistake, when the Pence Administration gets word of this, that clip (particularly because of the part where she stretches her neck and turns so he can access her frontal under-chin) will get at least an R-rating, if not worse.

• W.T. Effingham
      Posted October 20, 2020 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

….nearly -visible abs now.) WordPress..guhhh!

6. Linda Calhoun
    Posted October 20, 2020 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

“What should we call her?”

Silkwood?

L

Posted October 20, 2020 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Sweet.

8. Posted October 20, 2020 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the wonderful photos, Jerry!

How about
    1) Barbara, after Barbara Woodhouse, the famous d*g trainer or
    2) Ruth, after Ruth Bader Ginsburg?

• Claudia Baker
      Posted October 20, 2020 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

I like that suggestion very much – Ruth in honour of RBG.

Posted October 20, 2020 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

What a cute pair of ducks! So happy they’re spending so much time on Botany pond.
    I can’t think of a name, but I thought it should somehow be related to Frisky. Bouncy or Perky…I’m bad at names.

10. eric
    Posted October 20, 2020 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Don’t know what to name her. While Jane Grey is fun, I actually like her beautiful blue feathers, so I’d like something that refers to that…I just can’t think of anything.

However, can I make a suggestion for Honey’s new boyfriend? Given his size, I was thinking Moby would be a good name. As in; Moby Duck.

11. Terry L Pedersen