Jesus ‘n’ Mo ‘n’ context

Yes, today is Jesus and Mo Day, featuring the strip that got these posts banned in Pakistan and still accounts for some of my tweets being labeled “sensitive material” by Twitter.

Today’s strip, called “quote”, came with the email note, “If a joke’s worth telling, it’s worth telling twice!” The point, of course, is that Jesus himself is using an out-of-context quote.

1. Mike
    Posted October 7, 2020 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Idea for a new poll:

Which J&M setup do WEIT readers prefer?
    1. In bed together (shirtless)
    2. The Cock & Bull (with barmaid dialogue)
    3. Open-mic night
    4. Park bench/sofa

• Posted October 7, 2020 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Cock & Bull. The Barmaid is my favourite character.

• Ken Kukec
        Posted October 7, 2020 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Still the best pub in all of comic-land when a bloke fancies a pint.

• Steve Pollard
        Posted October 7, 2020 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Me too. But I am concerned to note that J&M are not practising social distancing. Maybe they count as a family bubble.

• gravelinspector-Aidan
          Posted October 7, 2020 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Well they’re all descended from the same amoeba. As are you and I.

Posted October 7, 2020 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Fun one.

Posted October 7, 2020 at 11:33 am | Permalink

“If a joke’s worth telling, it’s worth telling twice!”

Twice-Told Tales worked as a re-packaging of Mr. N. Hawthorne’s previously published greatest hits, so there’s no reason author shouldn’t get in on the action.

4. Posted October 7, 2020 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Some cartoonist – I forget who – once drew one of the characters (a student’s parent) literally grabbing the speech balloon on the page, as it comes out of the other character’s (teacher’s) mouth. They then tear out the bit of paper containing the words they wanted to hear, and carry it off.

That got it just perfectly. Sadly, my google-fu is not adequate to find it.

5. Jon
    Posted October 7, 2020 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

The quote-mining reminds me of posters I used to see advertising plays on in London’s West end. They always included brief mined quotes, such as “Hilarious”, “A tour de force”, “You must see it”, etc. I used to imagine damning, contemptuous reviews that included these quotes.

• jezgrove
      Posted October 7, 2020 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Yup, Private Eye used to keep expose that kind of cherry picking of reviews for use in publicity posters and book jackets.

• Matthew Jenkins
        Posted October 9, 2020 at 5:43 am | Permalink

Like when the movie ‘Sex lives of the Potato Men’, generally panned for being awful instead of funny, was described on its DVD cover as a ‘controversial’ comedy.