Panda noms carrot

Well, since science isn’t selling that well today, can I interest you in a Giant Panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca) nomming a carrot? (The Latin name, by the way, means “black and white cat-foot”.)

The notes just say, “The panda is charming.” Indeed it is, though I was taught not to chew with my mouth open.

1. merilee
    Posted September 25, 2020 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

But Gary Larson’s dog mothers (the ones in harlequin glasses) always teach their puppies to chew with their mouths OPEN.

Posted September 25, 2020 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

A carrot? I though a panda eats, shoots & leaves?

Or maybe that’s what a stick-up man does at a diner. Who can even tell anymore?

• Ken Kukec
      Posted September 25, 2020 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

“thought”

Posted September 25, 2020 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Notice the quick pause, and then continuing. And the round, black, ears like she’s wearing a Mousketeer hat! This must be science broadly construed.

4. Posted September 25, 2020 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Interesting that the panda, a herbivore, has such large canines.

5. Laurance
    Posted September 25, 2020 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this!! I’m in a particularly lousy mood today. Too much pandemic, too much horrible Frump stuph (and Andrew Sullivan’s post about tyrants
    https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/yes-this-is-the-face-of-a-tyrant?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoxMzMxODUyMSwicG9zdF9pZCI6MzMyOTMyMCwiXyI6IjY2T1oxIiwiaWF0IjoxNjAxMDY2NDQ1LCJleHAiOjE2MDEwNzAwNDUsImlzcyI6InB1Yi02MTM3MSIsInN1YiI6InBvc3QtcmVhY3Rpb24ifQ.i0fwxACEI3rhSUr7cDc5Z7IoA1ygwcOdxIKC5j75Co8 which I was perhaps crazy to read).

So it’s so good to see a dear animal having a snack! We need all the goodness we can get.

Posted September 25, 2020 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I’m simpathetic. Sullivan quotes Greenblatt, “the ability to lie shamelessly”, referring to Shakespear’s Richard III. Richard was a psychopath too.

6. samoffat@28gmailcom
    Posted September 25, 2020 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

dear oh dear – Long time forever atheist AND dog lover and independent. Will vote democratic of course this time (and have in years past) but unenthusiastically.
    My Whippet & Rhodesian & I LOVE JC & WEIT!!!

7. Charles Minus
    Posted September 25, 2020 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

Is that a really big carrot or a really small panda?