Man builds nut bar for squirrels

Reader Barry called my attention to this video and the article about the Nutty Bar from station KDKA in Pittsburgh. An excerpt (my emphasis):

People are going nuts for an Ohio woodworker’s latest creation: A bar that caters to neighborhood squirrels.

Michael Dutko, a 35-year-old hobbyist, has been creating art and household items from wood for most of his life, and even chronicles it on his YouTube channel Duke Harmon Woodworking. But it’s his fun twist on a squirrel feeder that’s made him Internet famous.

“The Nutty Bar,” which is attached to his backyard fence in Hilliard, looks just like a real bar, and even has a range of nuts on tap.

Dutko said he built it to help his neighbor with her bird-watching hobby.

“The whole reason I even started to make this is because my neighbor bird watches with her daughter and told me all of the squirrels keep getting in her way,” Dutko told CNN. “I didn’t even tell her what I was going to do, I just built it and put it back there and when she saw it, she just started cracking up.”

Lucky squirrels who find their way to the bar get to choose from seven different nuts named after beers: Cashew Dunkel, Peanut Pilsner, Almond Ale, Walnut Stout, Sunflower Saison, Pecan Porter and Pistachio Pale Ale.

Dutko’s favorite part of the bar is its quirky bathroom sign: “Nuts” and “No Nuts.”

The project, which measures about 25 inches wide and 16 inches tall, took him eight hours to design and build.

After posting a video on YouTube showing the build process, Dutko said he was “overwhelmed” with comments and requests to purchase the bar. He immediately applied for a design patent and is now planning to launch a business to sell The Nutty Bar for about $175 – $200.

The video!

1. Posted August 31, 2020 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Oh, my goodness, that’s funny.

• Torbjörn Larsson
      Posted August 31, 2020 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

That’s nutty.

But it’s for a good cause.

2. jezgrove
    Posted August 31, 2020 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Great dedication to the project, but the squirrel only seemed to successfully retrieve sunflower seeds – sorry, Sunflower Saison – unless I’m mistaken (which is entirely probable)?

3. Diana MacPherson
    Posted August 31, 2020 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Those are expensive nuts! He will have to keep it well stocked or the squirrels will gnaw through the wood looking for seeds.

Posted August 31, 2020 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

I’d fill them all with peanuts in the shell.

4. Diana MacPherson
    Posted August 31, 2020 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Sub

5. merilee
    Posted August 31, 2020 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Sub
    WordPress is rejecting my email so I have to go to the website😖😬

Posted August 31, 2020 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

There’s a “So a squirrel, a priest, and a rabbi walk into a nut bar …” joke to be had here somewhere.

• jezgrove
      Posted August 31, 2020 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

As long as it doesn’t involve a transsquirrel and its nuts are missing… Wouldn’t want you to be cancelled!

7. Posted August 31, 2020 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

I would go for the walnut stout and pecan porter m’self. Well, the stout and the porter, actually. 🍺

• jezgrove
      Posted August 31, 2020 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

“Stout” – to (mis)quote Lenny Henry, “Man, you’re black on the inside!”

Posted August 31, 2020 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Wow, that’s fantastic…and hilarious. I want one!

9. BJ
    Posted August 31, 2020 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

I love it.

I’ve really been wishing these last few months that I was versed in carpentry. Not only could I build awesome stuff, but chicks also dig it.

• Randall Schenck
      Posted September 1, 2020 at 9:22 am | Permalink

This guy is really in the router business with this kind of work. When he fist started it looks like he had a computer generated design operating the router. Also an air compressor to operate the nail gun or brad gun. That is almost a necessity. The type wood for this kind of work is probably pine, a softer wood, easy to work with.

• BJ
        Posted September 1, 2020 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Yeah, there are so many tools involved. I really wish it was a hobby where I could just look up Youtube videos, learn how to do things, and then practice. Unfortunately, learning carpentry would involve a huge investment in tools. Should I decide I’m not into it, that would be many thousands of dollars wasted!

10. KerissP
    Posted September 9, 2020 at 8:54 am | Permalink

As an adjunct to this great vijayo, have a look at the squirrel obstacle-course that Mark Rober, a former NASA engineer, built to safeguard _his_ bird-feeder:

(Caution: do not watch while trying to drink your breakfast tea or coffee….)