New WordPress glitch involving commenting

All of us, including me, are now subject to a new glitch on the site. When you want to leave a comment, you have to do so at the bottom of all the comments, which will show your sign-in requisites. Further, if you want to reply to a comment already on the thread, PLEASE hit “reply” below the comment to which you’re replying. The same sign-in box will appear, but your comment will be properly placed as a reply.

I don’t like this any more than you do, and I am fighting with WordPress, who says it’s an unavoidable “occurrence” with an outdated site design. I don’t believe that, as surely something can be reversed to fix it. At any rate, I ask you not to be deterred by this new glitch. I’ll try to get it fixed, but please bear with it until it is fixed (or not).

—The Management

1. BobTerrace
    Posted August 6, 2020 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Got it.

• Simon Hayward
      Posted August 6, 2020 at 8:54 am | Permalink

This is hitting the reply to Bob

2. Simon Hayward
    Posted August 6, 2020 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Testing – this was at the end of the thread

• Posted August 6, 2020 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Here I am replying. Yes, I see that while I am writing a reply to someone my spot is at the bottom of the thread. It does not bother me, really.

• Mark R.
        Posted August 6, 2020 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

It also says who you are replying to. Above Name* it says “Post a Comment to Mark Sturtevant”. So at least we can see we’re replying to the correct person.

• Posted August 7, 2020 at 3:13 am | Permalink

I noticed the fact that the comment box no longer says “replying as <word press account>” and has all my WordPress account details filled in, but I hadn’t noticed that it was repositioned at the bottom of the page.

It’s still a pain in the arse because you either have to open a second tab/window or scroll back and forth to refer to the comment to which you are replying.

3. Graham Martin-Royle
    Posted August 6, 2020 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Just about every update on every site always seems to have so many bugs. It’s really irritating.

4. GBJames
    Posted August 6, 2020 at 9:14 am | Permalink

I was wondering about this, thinking I was losing my mind just a bit.

• BobTerrace
      Posted August 6, 2020 at 9:22 am | Permalink

What, me worry?
      -Alfred E Neuman, 1952

• Posted August 6, 2020 at 9:30 am | Permalink

This is a reply to the Alfred E. Neuman observation. Or possibly not.

5. Posted August 6, 2020 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Testing this.

6. Posted August 6, 2020 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Noticed it, but hasn’t caused a problem posting comments. At least in ios.

• Steve Pollard
      Posted August 6, 2020 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Responding to this just to see if it works

7. Steve Pollard
    Posted August 6, 2020 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

It seems to!

8. Michael Waterhouse
    Posted August 7, 2020 at 12:21 am | Permalink

I did notice it and I had to open a second page to refer aback to the points I was replying too.

Otherwise it wasn’t too bad.

9. Posted August 7, 2020 at 3:09 am | Permalink

They are lying. They managed to avoid it for years when the design wasn’t considered outdated. What they’re really saying here is “yes, we broke it, but we won’t be fixing it because we’ve got this new shiny thing”.

At some point, I think you are going to have to embrace the New Way because there are just going to be more and more issues like this.

• GBJames
      Posted August 7, 2020 at 8:49 am | Permalink

I agree. This is the way with tech. It moves along and old things eventually stop working. Better to embrace the change than to rail against the whirlwind.

10. Andrea Kenner
    Posted August 9, 2020 at 7:29 am | Permalink

I haven’t had any problems with commenting, but I still can’t Like your posts. When I click Like, I see a little white box. When the box goes away, no Like shows up.