Photos of readers

The tank for this feature is still low, so do submit your entry (limit two photos, real name please, and a brief commentary). You’ll have at least five minutes of fame!

Today’s reader is ailurophile David Zimmerman, who hails from Willow Spring, North Carolina—a suburb of Raleigh. His captions are indented.

I am a software engineer for a global bank, and since we already collaborate with people in many time zones over Skype, working from home comes pretty naturally.  However, I normally have a 45 minute commute, so I find I’m months behind on my podcasts.  My wife is retired and spends a lot of time gardening, leaving me alone to concentrate on work until I announce “Hi honey, I’m home!.”  She still refuses to greet me naked at the door with a martini.

We are on staff to six cats, all rescues, and most of them adopted us by showing up on the front porch.  I have lived with cats all my life, and this the first time I’ve been around black cats (4).
Here I am pair programming with Loki, a big “fudge swirl” tabby.  He’s pretty good at spotting the bugs (as long as they wiggle). Since the quarantine, that window is often (even usually) open and all the cats go in and out of that window, although when it’s closed (it gets hot out in North Carolina) they can get quite surprised.

We go for a paddle once or twice a week mostly on lakes and inlets, and here I am looking at some Rose Mallow (Hibiscus moscheutos) which are very common.  We typically see great blue herons (in great abundance), great egrets, osprey, bald eagles, kingfisher,double-crested cormorants, vultures (black, turkey) and a variety of Little Brown Birds (I’m not so good at LBBs).

1. Posted July 14, 2020 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Cool photos, thanks! 🙂

2. Debra Coplan
    Posted July 14, 2020 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

That lake looks like such a wonderful place to be.
    Very lucky cats to have come to the right house.

Posted July 14, 2020 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

She still refuses to greet me naked at the door with a martini.

The nerve of that woman!

• Peter (Oz) Jones
      Posted July 14, 2020 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

She’s quite right
      – a naked David, no no, even with a martini!

• merilee
        Posted July 14, 2020 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

No kitties in the kayak?

• jedijan
          Posted July 16, 2020 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

That’s what I was looking for when the poster said “we.” We used to take our dog, Banjo (blue cattledog) with us on canoeing trips on the Baron and Goldsborough rivers, FNQ (Far North Queensland), Australia. Above the areas where the salties (saltwater crocodiles) hung out.

*Sorry about all the parentheses, but thought it was kind of essential. 🙂👍

• merilee
            Posted July 16, 2020 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Glad you avoided the salties! I did have a friend whose cat liked to go canoeing.

4. neilmdunn
    Posted July 14, 2020 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Great short summary of life working at home.
    Can’t imagine how his life in retirement will be any better.

5. Diana MacPherson
    Posted July 14, 2020 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

I have a wilderness systems kayak. A 14’ Cape Horn. I haven’t paddled in years though.

6. merilee
    Posted July 14, 2020 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

🐾🐾

Posted July 14, 2020 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

“He’s pretty good at spotting the bugs (as long as they wiggle).” Ha!

I had never heard of pair programming. I left the field before it became popular, I guess. Interesting idea.

8. BillyJoe
    Posted July 14, 2020 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Hi David,

You won’t believe this.

I have the exact same biscuit tin sitting beside my computer screen. I think it originally contained biscuits called “Speculaas” from Holland. I use it to store pencils and pens, and an assortment of odds and ends.

• jedijan
      Posted July 16, 2020 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Have a similar designed tin canister which also came from Holland, in the traditional blue on white, from the 70s. I think mine originally contained tea. It’s a little worse for wear these days … well 50 years old almost … much like the owner lol!

9. Posted July 14, 2020 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

HAHAHAHH!
    I know, right? I never get that naked-meet- with- Martini welcome either, pre or post covid. I think the ladies lure us in with that. And I’m including Wilma Flinstone in this conspiracy I tell you!

D.A., J.D., NYC