Photos of readers

My tank of “photos of readers” is almost empty, so if you want your mug displayed to thousands of people, and your quarantine situation depicted, by all means send photos to me. Today we have four pictures from reader Gregory James, whose words are indented. (Note: I prefer two photos at most, but made an exception since we have some scenery.)

We’ve been escaping lockdown for strolls along the Milwaukee River and Lake Michigan from time to time. The past couple of days have been sunny, and here are a few shots I took along the way. I think the lovely blue flowers are, I think, part of genus Hepatica. The white and yellow flower are Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis). But I’m not botanically well-versed and I could be wrong. The tree we’re seen fondling is a Sycamore [Platanus occidentalis], one of several in Kern Park. I don’t know how they survive this far north but they are big and wonderful.

1. GBJames
    Posted April 26, 2020 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

sub

2. Randall Schenck
    Posted April 26, 2020 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Unmask those readers.

• GBJames
      Posted April 26, 2020 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Just protecting you, Randall!

• Ken Kukec
        Posted April 26, 2020 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

We all look like highway bandits these days, Greg.

I halfway expect everyone I pass on the street to say “your money or your life” (or “plata o plomo” as the gangsters down south put it).

3. Nicolaas Stempels
    Posted April 26, 2020 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

That blue forest floor reminds me of the Hallerbos (wood of Halle) near Brussels. Floor covered with bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta)

• Karin Lindhagen
      Posted April 27, 2020 at 4:43 am | Permalink

The blue flowers do not look like Hepatica, or Anemone hepatica. Those have different leaves and not quite the same blue color. To me they picture resemble Scilla siberica, which grow in my back yard i Uppsala, Sweden, and in great abundance in the parks here this time of year.

• GBJames
        Posted April 27, 2020 at 8:28 am | Permalink

You could be right. Scilla siberica is invasive in Wisconsin and these slopes are loaded with invasive plants. The worst of them are garlic mustard and buckthorn.

• Posted April 27, 2020 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Yes, I would concur: These are blooming like crazy in our yards here (St. Paul, MN) now.

“Squills”

• Karin Lindhagen
      Posted April 27, 2020 at 4:44 am | Permalink

The blue flowers do not look like Hepatica, or Anemone hepatica. Those have different leaves and not quite the same blue color. To me they resemble Scilla siberica, which grow in my back yard i Uppsala, Sweden, and in great abundance in the parks here this time of year.

Posted April 26, 2020 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

That bark is very cool, as is the blanket of blue flowers.

It’s nice to go on walks; burn off those beer calories. 😉 I don’t wear a mask walking around here because there’s no one around. At the same time, our governor never made it mandatory; I don’t know why. I always wear one when I go to the grocery store though.

5. JezGrove
    Posted April 26, 2020 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

It’s always nice to be able to put a face to a (user)name. Right now, I suspect Gregory is more likely to be recognized in the supermarket with the mask.

Posted April 26, 2020 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Nothing like the Lake Michigan shore. Where I spent many happy hours. It’s great that you can get out and enjoy nature.

• GBJames
      Posted April 26, 2020 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

The lake is great but this time of year it keeps things chilly much longer than I’d prefer. I’ll feel differently about it come August. 😉

• Posted April 27, 2020 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Yeah, wind from the east, free air conditioning!

7. Debra Coplan
    Posted April 26, 2020 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful place to be able to walk.
    The photo with the blue flowers looks especially enticing to be in.
    Glad to see who GBJames is! I always love your comments…

8. Diana MacPherson
    Posted April 26, 2020 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

The lake looks nice and blue.

9. Posted April 27, 2020 at 12:28 am | Permalink

Sycamores can survive even cold Ontario winters.

10. Posted April 27, 2020 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Nice photos! Stay healthy!

11. Posted April 27, 2020 at 8:43 am | Permalink

We normally go for walks in our local state parks to see the early blooming forest floor flowers (e.g. bloodroot). But they are closed this year. 😦

• GBJames
      Posted April 27, 2020 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Ours were open for a while but people abused the opportunity. Apparently vandalism increased along with rubbish-dumping. Too many failed to follow social distancing. And we all lost the chance to visit state parks. 😦

• Diana MacPherson
        Posted April 27, 2020 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Yeah, they ended up closing all the trails & parks here because people from other cities were driving there to walk on them & no one was observing social distancing & many were laughing & saying they wouldn’t stop until the government stopped them. So, ruined for everyone now.

12. Paul Turpin
    Posted April 27, 2020 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Jerry, for your use if interested. Thanks for what you do.

My greyhound Rosie and I continue to walk sections of the Ice Age Trail, here we are In southern Wisconsin. The hikers are more numerous now on the trails. I’m retired, and Rosie as well as our son’s cat Apollo like it that their humans are home more now. Apollo is very social and all three of us take naps in the sun. On the coffee table is one of the Harry Potter books I am reading as an escape during this time (the beard left with the warmer weather). I am tuning out as much of the bad news as I can for my health. Lastly, a photo of Apollo the Magnificent in a cupboard above the refrigerator.

Paul Turpin