Finn befriends wild otter

And some heartwarming: a lovely video sent by Merilee, who saw it on PawsMyGosh. The YouTube notes say this:

An elderly man has struck up an adorable friendship with an otter. Seppo Laamanen, 65, and Iivari the otter became inseparable after he appeared at Seppo’s doorstep in 2011. Small and malnourished, Seppo fed him and worms and fish. And the adorable otter repaid his kindness by always visiting Seppo at his home in Punkaharju in eastern Finland.

I have to say that I can appreciate the man’s special bond with the otter, and the fact that it shies away from other people. This is to some extent the case with my mallards, and I sort of like the fact that I’ve won their trust.

But can’t he thaw the fish?

1. merilee
    Posted April 18, 2020 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

I though5 that perhaps the fish were dried, not frozen?

• Posted April 18, 2020 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Maybe they are. I don’t know from fish.

• JezGrove
        Posted April 18, 2020 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

The fish are frozen. There are some otters at an aquarium we visit in Spain, and the fish they are fed are always frozen. I’ve no idea why, maybe it makes the meal more challenging / interesting? The otters certainly don’t seem to mind. If we make it there this summer (a rather big “if” right now!) I will try to remember to ask.

• JezGrove
          Posted April 18, 2020 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Crazy! I just looked at Wikipedia and the Eurasian otter article includes video of otters eating frozen fish in the very aquarium I mentioned above! https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Lutra_lutra_eating_frozen_fish_-_Gijon_Aquarium_-_2015-07-02.webm

Still no nearer to knowing why the fish are frozen, but I’ll keep searching…

• JezGrove
            Posted April 18, 2020 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Ok, so I don’t seem to be able to discover much about frozen fish in the other diet. But I was surprised to learn from the Association of Zoos and Aquariums’ “Otter (Lutrinae) Care Manual” that “Otter pups are not born knowing how to swim and may even be scared of the water. They will usually take an interest in the water at 4-8 weeks of age”. Who knew?

• JezGrove
              Posted April 18, 2020 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Grrrr! “otter diet” not “other diet”! Bl**dy autocorrect!

• Diana MacPherson
                Posted April 18, 2020 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

It could just be because they eat so much if the fish it is easier to keep it frozen to prevent it from being stinky and going bad.

I watch the Monterey Bay Aquarium Webcam feeds and saw the staff feeding the sea otters. Didn’t look frozen in this case though.

• merilee
                Posted April 18, 2020 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Sea otters are different from river otters.

• merilee
              Posted April 18, 2020 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Ok, so I don’t seem to be able to disco

This was all I saw at first😂

2. BobTerrace
    Posted April 18, 2020 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

I “resemble” the remark that the 65 year old is elderly.

In most industrialized Western nations, someone is considered a senior by the age of 65 or so. … Many people would not consider someone a senior until they’re at least over the age of 70.

By the way, I am 69.

• Diana MacPherson
      Posted April 18, 2020 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

I think I’m elderly at 50 given the way things have broken down.

• Posted April 19, 2020 at 6:22 am | Permalink

My first reaction: elderly? 65!? Rubbish.

3. Achrchno
    Posted April 18, 2020 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

You don’t like fishsicles? Otter does.

4. Achrachno
    Posted April 18, 2020 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

You don’t like fishsicles? Otter does.

5. Glenda Palmer
    Posted April 18, 2020 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Below is my suggestion for a working definition of senior. 👵🏻 The word elderly is too vague now days.

65 years – retiree
    70 years – junior senior
    80 years – intermediate senior or just plain senior
    90 years – senior senior

Keep smiling everyone.

• Posted April 19, 2020 at 1:52 am | Permalink

According to that, I can’t say I’m a senior at a spry 63. But the restaurants say I am, most of them anyway.