Leah Shutkever: A fit competitive eater

Meet Leah Shutkever, formerly a Woman of Size who lost a ton of weight, hits the gym six days a week, and, on the side, is one of the most accomplished competitive eaters in the UK. Here is her story, along with some of her Food Challenges.

1. Randall Schenck
    Posted January 18, 2020 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

I don’t get it. Is there a lot of money in what she is doing? Seems to be a contradiction, stay in shape and eat like a pig. As a type II, I would be dead in a week.

2. JezGrove
    Posted January 18, 2020 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

She’s clearly fit, burns a lot of calories through exercise, and eats healthily most of the time, but even for her eating so much in a single sitting can’t be good?

• JezGrove
      Posted January 18, 2020 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

I also worry that there might be an undisclosed bulimic element to this kind of competitive eating, which would entail further health risks.

• Liz
        Posted January 18, 2020 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

I believe there is some competitive eating rule that the person can’t throw up within 10 minutes or something like that. Many, if not most, are bulemic. There’s no sugar coating that. It’s disgusting. Men and women. I have never understood it and don’t encourage it.

3. Posted January 18, 2020 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

After seeing Fellini Satyricon as a teenager, nothing surprises me when humans shove stuff in their mouths. I lied, it surprises me it’s a sport.

4. Keith
    Posted January 18, 2020 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Competitive eating baffles me as a sport. Beyond just the “yuck” factor, it seems medically dangerous hormonally with respect to insulin spikes and potential harm to the digestive system.

• Torbj√∂rn Larsson
      Posted January 19, 2020 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Humans evolved to put on mass quickly, but I don’t think there are much studies on it.

That said, excessive mass correlate to increased mortality. Whether fat or muscles – so lots of gym training is a double edged sword. (That girl looks healthy though – aside from s problem with eating normally.)

5. mikeb
    Posted January 19, 2020 at 3:39 am | Permalink

I couldn’t finish watching. It actually makes me a little sick.

It seems to make virtue of — or at least make light of — our worst traits in the West:

repulsive foodstuffs

cavalier regard for abundance

gluttony and waste

a savage need for attention

vanity

6. Rhonda
    Posted January 19, 2020 at 5:47 am | Permalink

I’m getting constipated just watching…

7. Bob
    Posted January 19, 2020 at 7:16 am | Permalink

With so much hunger in the world, how can eating be a sport?

8. Torbjörn Larsson
    Posted January 19, 2020 at 10:03 am | Permalink

She is clearly young, so she lost a lot of mass quickly. That is not a problem for many.

The problem is to stay motivated to keep the mass low, IIRC US has statistics that show some 5 % are doing it (and I would guess that there could be ways to rise that number).

9. Vaal
    Posted January 19, 2020 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

“is one of the most accomplished competitive eaters in the UK.”

I have a hard time “swallowing” that description. I’m hard pressed to think of a more baffling and ridiculous “sport” than competitive eating. Whenever I see it my mind just fills with never-ending thought balloons “why? why? WHY?”

Especially in the USA, it seems that no matter what activity any human can engage in, someone will say “you can COMPETE in that, you know!”

10. Dominic
    Posted January 22, 2020 at 3:26 am | Permalink

I a world where people go without food…