I had a dream. . .

This is a weird one, and I remember the details (which are slowly growing hazier) only because I had it right before I awoke this morning. At the beginning, I was sitting on the grass with a girlfriend (nobody I know in my waking life), and then another girlfriend came by and sat down beside me: and this one happened to be Geena Davis (the star of Thelma and Louis), who put her arm around me. And then I immediately found myself in a courtroom with a group of friends, all of whom happened to be “professional jury people.” That is, all of us had permanent jobs as members of a jury whose job was to judge a people on trial, one after another. We were also members of a golf club, where we would repair to play golf, drink, and eat after our day on the jury.  On the day of my dream, we were going to the clubhouse to commemorate the death of one of our members who had just passed away.

It turned out that this member was known as a “Belty” for his girth.  “Belty” status was determined by everyone being issued sweaters with knitted vertical ribs in them, with the ribs very far apart: several feet, in fact.  A “Belty” was designated as someone who, when he was wearing that sweater, would show more than one vertical rib when you faced him. In other words, Belties were people of considerable girth.

That’s when the dream ended. What does it mean? The only thing I can add is that I am not amorously drawn to Geena Davis, nor do I ever think about her.

Anybody else have weird dreams last night? At least mine wasn’t about having a final exam and not having studied, or not being able to find the exam room.

1. Woof
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 6:37 am | Permalink

I just woke up from a dream involving my late sister. (It made a bit more sense than Professor Ceiling Cat’s dream, but not by a lot.) Don’t remember the last time I had one of them.

Must be chemtrails. 😉

• Woof
      Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Well here’s an extra-large DUH:

Deep thinker me couldn’t figure out why I dreamed about my late sister.

As it happens, yesterday my ex-brother-in-law died. (No, it’s not that I had the dream first, then heard about him. I knew it in more or less real time.)

Late ex-sibling-in-law triggers a late sister dream? Nah, never happens, I’m sure.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

I don’t see why it couldn’t happen. Makes sense to me. Like I said in another post, I’ve read that the people we dream about might not really make sense – sometimes they’re substitutes for someone else we know. The brain tries to work out stuff when we dream, and often it’s rubbish.

2. Andrikzen
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 6:41 am | Permalink

You might have a “Geena Davis neuron” or two acting up.

3. Joseph Stans
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 6:41 am | Permalink

May I suggest you take close look at your wardrobe.

then carefully reevaluate Gina Davis. If she shows up again, ring me.

4. NewEnglandBob
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 6:42 am | Permalink

Did you have a heavy dinner last night? Too much vino?

I wish I slept enough to dream. Went to sleep 11:30 PM, woke 3:30 AM.

5. Jonathan Smith
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 6:43 am | Permalink

One night I was dreaming that I was eating a giant marshmallow. When I woke up in the morning my pillow had vanished!!!!

6. John Crisp
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 6:49 am | Permalink

As a psychotherapist, I’m traditionally supposed to be able to interpret dreams. These days, we are not so arrogant. We usually ask “clients” to interpret their own dreams, or tell us how the dream made them feel, or some such thing, which at least has the advantage of revealing something about their felt reality.

The kind of dreams I personally find fascinating are the ones that seem to contain nothing relating to my own experience, and I do occasionally fantasise that they may have seeped into my psyche from a parallel part of the multiverse or one of Everett’s many worlds, where alternative selves are travelling very different paths…

Wild speculation about “Belties”: one cannot help noticing that the tabby bands around Hili are getting further apart!

7. Posted February 26, 2015 at 6:51 am | Permalink

I can’t stop laughing, Prof. Ceiling Cat. Your dream reminds me of this well-known cereal ad and the phrase ‘You can’t pinch an inch, you can’t pinch an inch on me!’

Well, I must flesh out my story … My sisters-in-law are all too well-endowed, but their carriage comes with much aplomb and good mirth. At a party, I overheard one SIL gleefully singing to the other, as she grabbed hold of her spare tire with both hands, “You can’t pinch a foot, you can’t pinch a foot, you can’t pinch a foot on ME!” We all cracked up in gales of laughter.

8. Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:25 am | Permalink

I had a weird one recently. I dreamt I was in a very spacious bathroom, sitting on the toilet. Then Richard Dawkins opened the door and stood there in doorway looking kind of strident. I didn’t like this at all, so I shouted at him “Richard Dawkins get out!!!”

And I really shouted too, because I woke myself up. And probably woke up the neighbors in the apartment next door too, who must be really starting to wonder about me by now.

• john
      Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:59 am | Permalink

They just think you’re a creationist….

• Alex Shuffell
      Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Do you think it was Richard Dawkins’s toilet you were using? It’s weird that you used his full name, I’m assuming you two are not close friends, and didn’t just call him Richard or something shorter that would befit the familiarity of a person who watches you on the toilet. Or he could have just been angry that you were taking you a long time.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Get the HELL out of here, Sir Richard!!

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Get the HELL out of here! Can’t you see I’m taking a Deepak?!

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Chopralite! think I’ve Coyned a new word!

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

That is brilliant. And his followers are Choprafagous.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

I’m certain it wasn’t his toilet. Of course in real life I would have addressed him as Professor Dawkins….

Come to think of it some years ago I unwittingly had a creationist in my apartment – a friend had recommended him as a computer tech. He looked at my bookshelf and saw Dawkins’s books there and said “I think the creationsists have some good ideas, personally.” And I just stared at my computer in pieces on the floor, and thought oh no…

I think that might have been where all this started!

Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Maybe Richard Dawkins represents something strident you ate. 🙂

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Yes. His nostrils were kind of flaring a bit. He looked a little indignant too. God, maybe I was in his laboratory. How embarrassing…

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Yeah, when we’re asleep, it’s easy to confuse lavatory with laboratory…. 🙂

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:50 am | Permalink

You didn’t want to share a special moment with Richard Dawkins? The pants around your ankles must have been your … wait for it … SELFISH JEANS.

• een
      Posted February 26, 2015 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

I had a dream once that a burglar-type person had opened my bedroom window and was in the process of getting in. I shouted forcefully at him to get out – but I was awake enough to hear myself. It came out as a little whispery mumble, and I felt so ridiculous that I woke up properly at that point.

9. Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:28 am | Permalink

I’ve heard that dreams may be an artifact of the brain’s nightly housekeeping, processing and tidying up to make room for more stuff.

It’s interesting you said “professional jury people” rather than “professional jurors.” It could be Philomena Cunk has gotten under your skin (“philosophy lady,” “computer man.

It’s interesting the dream featured so many good friends, including an actor who famously played a friend to the end – and then the dream ends at a funeral.

The social aspects and the judging make me think of WEIT and its fans since we do a lot of judging around here (although I think the commenters, and frequently PCC, seem more like prosecutors than they do jurors).

Belty.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Your last paragraph… I thought so too.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Prosecutors? Really? That’s uncharitable, for it implies that I (and everyone else) are single-mindedly intent on conviction regardless of the evidence (that has been my experience with prosectors). Perhaps you want to clarify what you mean, or perhaps you just meant to insult the proprietor.

Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:24 am | Permalink

I suspect MOOT means analyzing things out loud through discussion.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:46 am | Permalink

This is what happens when Charlie, the human MooT rides around in, stays up till 5AM working and tries to be clever on the Internet. He’s not aloud* to post anymore.

* – See what I did there? a MacPherson!

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Heavens to Ceiling Cat, no! What an unfortunate choice of words – juries receive the evidence and determine what constitute facts – but they are in effect mute. Not sure how I might have said it more coherently, but PCC & Co. are anything but mute: we pick and paw and debate and opinionize (which I guess is permitted in the jury room if not open court).

In short, a failure in metaphoricization, not in civility.

If anyone’s looking for me I’ll be over there in my sackcloth, chilling on those ashes …

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I didn’t take your ‘prosecutor’ thing too seriously, as I didn’t think you meant it as harshly as that. But we all are a contentious bunch here, eh …. we call a spade a spade and often step on toes. That’s part of our wonderful charm here. 🙂

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Yeah, after mulling on it I have concluded there is no courtroom metaphor for the discussion here, at least not as courts are run in the, you know, real world. This goes to Jerry’s point in the later post about the “American Sniper” case: science and reason are just another “opinion” to be chewed on in a stew of posturing and advocacy – which is not he worst thing, but science it ain’t!

Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:23 am | Permalink

I think my dreams had something to do with WEIT because of the animals in it.

I like the parts of Jerry’s dream that dealt with friends all the time. I wonder if it felt really nice.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:35 am | Permalink

No! I’ve never been on a jury (I’ve always been excluded because I was an expert witness in my earlier life), nor would I want to. And I HATE golf!

• NewEnglandBob
          Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:43 am | Permalink

So, you admit you’ve been rejuvenated from an earlier life?

Holy Deepak!

Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Bummer. I hate golf too.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:19 am | Permalink

That’s because golf is terrible.
            I’ve been playing since I was 8 and every round, somewhere between the 8th green and the 12th tee I think to myself, “how much nicer would this have been if I just went for a walk?” The saying is absolutely right, it’s a nice walk spoiled.
            And, on a serious note, golf courses are terrible for the environment they gobble up water and other resources at an alarming rate.

• Filippo
              Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:24 am | Permalink

George Carlin had some bracing comments about golf.

My first job was working as a caddy the summer after 8th grade. (Hmm, an etymological connection to “cad”?)

Posted February 26, 2015 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Not to mention all the pesticides they dump on their greens!

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

That’s the part I hate, but I do love golf. I wish there were more environmentally friendly golf courses around. There are a few. Someone could make a killing if they could genetically engineer a type of grass that would shuts out all the weeds.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

I was wondering about the golf part, PCC, as you’ve never mentioned golf before. Golf can be so much fun, for all age groups.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:42 am | Permalink

I should hope so, especially the arm around the shoulder from Geena Davis (even if he doesn’t find her as dreamy as I do).

Had she sitting with him holding his hand behind the wheel of a revving 1966 Ford Thunderbird convertible at the edge of a precipice, not so much.

10. Simon Hayward
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:30 am | Permalink

It’s a mental call to eat more ribs with judgmental people. You need to take another trip to the south, the ribs are good and people of that sort are easy to find.

My nightmare was that it had been snowing all night and I’d need to revert to snow boots to walk to work…lo and behold

• NewEnglandBob
      Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Mmmmm, ribs. Bacon too?

• Simon Hayward
        Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:52 am | Permalink

everything is better with bacon, although with ribs I’d probably go for beans and slaw (and order of deep fried corn on the cob with fried pickles on the side). Can put the bacon in the beans.

• darrelle
          Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Deep fried pork belly? Banh Mi?

I had one in a neat little place in Miami a few years ago that was dream-worthy.

Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Ha ha! That’s my nightmare too – and that my face will sting the whole way!

• Simon Hayward
        Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:34 am | Permalink

The face sting was worse earlier in the week, no real wind today. And the roads and sidewalks are mostly clear. Jerry always calls me a weenie when I make weather comments, but it’s hard to resist. I’ve been softened by 13 years in Tennessee (where school is out again today for less than an inch of snow – seventh day in the last nine) and a decade before that in California. At some point my blood will thicken (or I’ll give up and move to Florida)

11. TJR
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:33 am | Permalink

I had a dream about buying a loaf and going straight home.

• john
      Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:02 am | Permalink

As one should.

12. Roan Ridgeway
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:42 am | Permalink

I like a good mystery and the origins of my weird dreams give me the opportunity to play detective and figure out how I came to dream a strange dream. I find that something that occurred four or five days, even a week before can serve as triggers. Hearing a few notes of a jingle that resemble the notes to a song with which I’m familiar can precipitate images from my memory that become elements of a dream.

If I dreamt of Gena Davis it might be because a few days before, while switching television channels, I passed by the remake of The Fly with Jeff Goldblum and Gena Davis. Just seeing her image on the screen for a fleeting moment is sufficient to land her a role in one of my dreams a few days later. It is interesting that it doesn’t matter what I think of the actress or that I never, otherwise, think of her.

Incidentally, I actually did pass by said movie while surfing channels offered by The Dish a few days ago but no dreams that I’m aware of resulted from that happenstance.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:58 am | Permalink

I love that movie. Creepy. So was the original.

• ladyatheist
      Posted February 26, 2015 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

So a professor who studies flies dreams about the wife of a fly?

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Damn! I’m afraid, very afraid, that I should have thought of that!

/@

13. Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:45 am | Permalink

I had a weird dream (well several, actually, but I only remember one).

I was traveling in Norway and bought a weird stringed instrument impulsively, that cost $4000. In the dream the shop owner kept telling my I could bring it back if I wanted and I was puzzling over whether to keep it or not.

The place I was in was much like a modern zoo, with concrete walls and complicated passages and open courtyards full of plants and animals and pools of fish.

Flippin’ weird.

Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:26 am | Permalink

Did you play the weird stringed instrument?

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:52 am | Permalink

I did not; but I was thinking about it. I usually do play in my dreams.

Hey, you should have heard me when I was playing guitar with Bruce Cockburn in several of my dreams! (As I told my wife afterwards) I was awesome.

The phrase, “in my dreams” never seemed more appropriate! 🙂

Posted February 26, 2015 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

I once saw Bruce Cockburn in concert and he acted like a hotshot and decided to mess with his amplifier settings (I guess not trusting the experts). He messed everything up & the concert sounded awful. He even apologized at the end.

• Hempenstein
      Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Curious. A few yrs ago in conscious life I was waiting at baggage claim at Arlanda (Stockholm’s airport) and struck up a converstation with a pleasant African (forgotten which country*) musician who was coming to town. He was waiting for his instrument, name of which I’ve forgotten but it was traditional and stringed with a long neck. Perhaps he went on to Norway and sold it to your shop owner.

*When I wrote that I kinda came up with Gambia, and Googling african stringed instrument long neck, aside from a bunch of sitars and banjos, this came up, which is listed as Gambian

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Heh, heh, that’s cool!

14. john
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:49 am | Permalink

I dreamed my pet salamander refused to don his leash for our customary morning swim when he discovered I really did like peanut butter!

• Alex Shuffell
      Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:18 am | Permalink

I can sympathise with your salamander. I had an ex who didn’t like cheese. When I discovered this I didn’t want to be with her. I got over it so maybe you salamander will too.

• winewithcats
      Posted February 27, 2015 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Did you end up in a stream of invective instead?

15. Scientifik
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:50 am | Permalink

My dreams range from weird to ultra-weird. 🙂

It’s pretty amazing that I (from the dream) almost never question the reality I find myself in, no matter how weird it is.

I’d love to learn more about what dreams are; how are they produced by our brains, are they on-the-fly improvisations, or rather prepared in advance “first person movies” waiting to be played back upon falling asleep? What is their biological role?

16. Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Well, dreaming about a girlfriend or two could reveal a longing for a companion.

I’ve read that our dreams don’t mean anything, as the brain is just processing detritus from the day. It sometimes seems to be trying to make sense out of stuff. Also, when we dream of specific people (like Geena Davis), it doesn’t mean it’s literally Geena Davis. It could be just a substitute for someone else.

17. Posted February 26, 2015 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Dan Dennett often has the same dream, but I think it involves Cameron Diaz.

• Kirth Gersen
      Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:21 am | Permalink

As near as I can tell, the message of the movie Vanilla Sky is that one needs to be VERY careful about dreams involving Cameron Diaz!

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:22 am | Permalink

There was a message to Vanilla Sky?
        I mean other than, “you just wasted ten bucks and a lot of time.”

Posted February 26, 2015 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

The message was, don’t sleep with your friends.

Posted February 26, 2015 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Wake up, man!

• Filippo
      Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:18 am | Permalink

sub

18. John Dickinson
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:16 am | Permalink

Firstly, I’ll add to what the psychotherapist said. The dream is yours and it is therefore not meaningful to interpret it in the abstract. An image, word, situation, story, whatever, may have different symbolisms or meanings for different people. That said, knowing something about someone seems to lend itself to making some associations that might make a little sense. Here goes.

You’ve recently finished your second book. For you that can be symbolised as a little death. Something that your mind will be, in some sense, freed from. A book necessarily needs to have its boundaries or reach. “Belty”, and his death, could in some way symbolise the completion of the book and the freeing from that constraint. A belt is something that constrains what it is wrapping. In this case your book has two subjects: faith and science. Those two strands may be represented by the more than one visible rib. They are being held together by the need to consider them together, whilst also in contention and forcing themselves apart. There is also a sense of a “belt” being a strike at something; again a theme of your book.

Another symbolism of a “Belty” (and such symbolisms might not be mutually exclusive, but maybe reinforcing) as someone who now has more than one visible rib in the sweater. In your case you now have two books. You’re a Belty. It’s interesting to me that you chose the word “sweater”. Perhaps this would be your default word for such a garment anyway, but the dream didn’t show a shirt, vest, or some other type of clothing. A “seater” might represent the graft required in the act of creation of a book.

You really are, quite apparently, in what might be called some kind of club; the club of the like-minded folk who do rail against the perfidies and inanities of religion. This group of folk really is judging others for those perfidies and inanities, and in some respects professionally.

There appears to be more resonance of a count of two between the dream and your life. You have two books and in fact to lines of work – your writing and your academic life. That duality may be reflected in the two girlfriends in the dream. Interestingly Geena Davis has a first name which can be said to be homonymous with “Gene-er” (one who, erm, does stuff with genes). In the dream you are being embraced by Geena. Perhaps this is a representation of your re-connection with that other strand of your life now you can let go somewhat from the Faith vs Fact book.

Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:30 am | Permalink

You could even say that Jerry has two books “under his belt”. And the jury, etc. could be how Jerry questions traditional things like religions are stupid laws that favour religions.

Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:30 am | Permalink

are – or (that was all me as I’m not on my iPad, my fingers just did that)

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

This is most interesting and fascinating. Could there be layered meanings of Belty, such as a more superficial meaning, relating to the love of noms?

• John Dickinson
        Posted February 27, 2015 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Yes! I guess it all adds up and maybe Jerry has a slight worry about weight

19. Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:17 am | Permalink

I hardly ever remember my dreams, so I’m not really the one to talk with about that … but I’m pretty certain that dreams don’t *mean* anything per se. They are just random images. Actually, I think that we just remember random bits & pieces, and in the moment of awakening this gets tied together into a narrative that contains motion, colour, and sound (all of which are – afaik – absent in what the brain really produces in a dream phase).

20. Diana MacPherson
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:18 am | Permalink

OMG that’s a great dream. It must’ve been fun to hang out with your friends all day like that (even though golf is boring). I was laughing at it because it seems like my weird dreams and I had bunch last night. Reading this dream helped me remember my dreams.

Last night I had a weird dream – there were a few different ones. One was I could hear an owl “hooing”. I looked out a window and the owl was a “baby” which in my dream meant that it looked just like a regular own but really small – about 5 cm tall. I got my camera to take its picture and it was a difficult shot because of the light and the owl was positioned behind leaves of a tree (I was taking the picture from inside, which seemed like the front walled in porch of my childhood house). When I was looking through the camera, I saw a huge beak above the owl – it was a curved beak, like a parrot’s beak.

I wondered if the owl was being eaten but I looked around my camera & heard the owl “hooing”.

Then the beaked beast turned into a tiger who delicately played with the miniature owl.

I went around telling people all about how there was a tiger in my front yard playing with an owl.

I also dreamed that my dad was going to call Jill Abbott from Young and the Restless, tape the call and ask for medical advice for jokes. I thought this was a weird thing to do and stupid and told him she’d never call him back (he left a message). Even in my dream, that sounded stupid.

I had yet another dream where I was driving and there were two cars in front of me in the right lane of the 3 lane road (I was in the middle lane). Suddenly the last car (it was a red Honda – I always liked Honda’s red) got really close to the first car and the driver (a guy) and all his passengers somehow clamoured onto the car and held on. The drivers knew each other and seemed to do this all the time.

It was snowing out and I was thinking that they wouldn’t all be able to hold on as the driver took a sharp cut off. Everyone stayed on except a kid hanging off the driver’s door. He took off and ran under other cars but though i didn’t see it, he got killed. Later, the driver shows up in my Jill Abbot dream and says they’ve been mourning the kid.

There were other weird ones too which I think involved me laughing at a friend I used to work with who wanted to buy a suit in Indonesia and expense it. Her friend (they are both from Indonesia) made a smart ass remark about how those suits are not like suits here and I clandestinely told her friend how funny her remark was.

I’m sure there are even more dreams I had. I know I was dehydrated and took an electrolyte replacement when I got up in the night so maybe that’s the reason for the dreams. I’m also on new medication so who knows.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

No wonder you feel tired when you get up, Diana! 😉

21. mrclaw69
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Well, Duncan’s horses did turn and eat each other. As usual…

22. Alex Shuffell
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:24 am | Permalink

I have had a dream about you a few times. You were in Devon you visited Torquay and we went to Kents Cavern together, which was lovely. You had heard quite a lot about Devonshire cream and our great ice-creams (I thought they were not so special) and there was a lot of pressure on me to find a good place in town to get ice-cream. I didn’t know anywhere special so we just sat by the harbour in a sulky silence eating an ice-cream cone as seagulls made too much noise. The closest dream I’ve had to a nightmare since I was 12.

Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:32 am | Permalink

This made me LOL: “we just sat by the harbour in sulky silence eating an ice-cream as seagulls made too much noise.” I can really visualize it!

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

But then Basil Fawlty showed up and saved the day by doing something both idiotic and hilarious, right?

• merilee
        Posted February 26, 2015 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Not to forget Manuel…

• Woof
          Posted February 26, 2015 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

He’s from Barcelona.

• merilee
            Posted February 26, 2015 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

Where else?? And he once had a pet rat named Basil.

• Woof
              Posted February 26, 2015 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

DON’T MENTION THE WAR!

• Posted February 27, 2015 at 12:12 am | Permalink

I wouldn’t think of it:-)

Posted February 27, 2015 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Gives the ice cream a thrashing!!

23. Kurt Helf
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:26 am | Permalink

I dreamed I could breathe underwater and in my dream I visited a marvelous, sunken city made of cyclopean blocks the geometry of which was non-Euclidean…

Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:33 am | Permalink

I too have dreamed of Cyclopean masonry but I think those dreams happened mostly when I was studying the Acropolis back in my school days.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Stone blocks, each with one eye… that sounds like a dream all right!

/@

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

Cyclopean masonry?

• Posted February 27, 2015 at 2:08 am | Permalink

Yes, per Diana. But I don’t think the phrase has much currency these days.

/@

• Posted February 27, 2015 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Perhaps you and I can usher in a new order for the coming age, and bring the phrase back, providence willing!

• Posted February 27, 2015 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Well, if Rhode Islanders are happy with it, why not?

/@

Posted February 27, 2015 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Cyclopean masonary is just gigantic blocks that seem only a cyclops could have put them in place. An example is the early layers of the Acropolis (since the Acropolis was inhabited during the Greek Dark Ages onward) – you can see them today.

These Lion Gates are another example.

• Kirth Gersen
      Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Iä!

• TJR
      Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Watch out for shoggoths.

• Kirth Gersen
        Posted February 26, 2015 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

S’okay, I’ve got a piccolo…

24. ascanius
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:48 am | Permalink

If you’re interested in dreams, you should seek out an analyst in one of the Jungian/neo-Jungian schools.

Personal associations are usually needed for exploring the significance of a dream. For example what kind of person does Geena Davis seem to you to be? How is she like you? How is she different? What was the first girlfriend in the dream like? How do you feel about people “of girth?”

The first part of the dream seems fairly straightforward and typical of intellectually oriented/”thinking” individuals. Often they have trouble connecting on a deep feeling/emotional level and going with the flow of relationships. Instead they fall easily into judgmental attitudes and turn everything into a trial, where a point of view must prevail. Hence your emotional relationship with the girlfriends is interrupted by your role as a permanent juror.

I’ve been following my dreams for a couple decades. The little dramas they present offer an interesting representation of partly unconscious emotional processes which are hard to access, but revealing nonetheless. They always lead to deeper reflection.

25. natalielaberlinoise
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:53 am | Permalink

I hardly ever remember my dreams. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and had just dreamed such weird stuff that I told myself not to forget it, and possibly continue with the dream when back asleep. Unfortunately I didn’t succeed – in the morning, there was nothing left but a sense of bewilderment and an old music colleague from 20 years ago who featured in it. She was involved in some weird chemistry experiment. That’s all. Ah, the interesting lives we all live when asleep – and what a pitty we just haven’t a clue what it’s all about.

• john
      Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:22 am | Permalink

It reads like you woke up bewildered with a colleague in the morning – not that there’s anything wrong with that…..

• natalielaberlinoise
        Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Thank you, that made me laugh. I knew there was something wrong with the sentence but didn’t fix it. Yes, that would actually have been a surprise…

I guess everybody knows this nice dream scene from American Splendor, but just in case…

26. Mark Sturtevant
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:16 am | Permalink

If you have no feelings for Geena Davis I suggest you watch her in Earth Girls are Easy. If that does not cure you, I do not know what will.
    It is a very funny movie, btw.

27. Mark Reaume
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:20 am | Permalink

I’ve had two memorable dreams in my life.

The first one involved an assissantion plot against Big Bird, a friend of mine shot him while he was performing a one-bird play. I remember going up to the body and unzipping the costume and it was my brother!

The second dream was in the form of a musical which took place at a medical lab for which I worked at the time. I woke up laughing at the sight of an older lady that I worked with in the Hematology lab singing a song about Howell-Jolly bodies.

28. Kirth Gersen
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Geena Davis has long been one of my favorites — dreaming that she was one’s girlfriend doesn’t sound at all unpleasant.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:50 am | Permalink

But in which cinematic persona? Thelma & Louise? Beetlejuice? The Long Kiss Goodnight? Cutthroat Island?

/@

29. Keith Cook or more
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:55 am | Permalink

No meaning here, it’s just a short circut between winter and spring… a cuppa tea usually clears the gunk.

30. Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Reminds me of this scene from ‘Top Secret’, a classic.

I haven’t remembered dreams in like 10 years – until about a week ago. Now I’m plagued by nonsensical angst-driven bizarre garishly-colored nightmares… like trying to get off a fluorescent train, hanging off the back, flapping in the wind, zipping around up and over unconcerned peoples’ tables while they have relaxed dinners. Stuff like that. I wouldn’t mind at all if the dreams ceased for another ten years.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

They sell weed in Colorado Springs eh??? 🙂

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

I wish. City Council, douchebags that they are, went against the wishes of the citizens of the more civilized parts of the state (like where you hail from). I think there’s a little dispensary in an unincorporated part of town on the westside. I’ve been too busy to bother with it. Too expensive to buy it legally, anyway.

• Posted February 26, 2015 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

I guess that is no surprise, given some of the demographics of COS. And in our neck of the woods, it is business as usual in the Planet – smoke what you want, but you certainly cannot smoke anything on any public property, public spaces in businesses or anywhere in or close to the main business district. This is of course quite all right with most of us 🙂

31. Posted February 26, 2015 at 10:25 am | Permalink

I had a dream the other night that I was playing basketball in a super important game. One of my teammates was my sister and she refused to pass me the ball.
    I don’t think that one is all that hard to interpret, that’s pretty standard older sister stuff where I come from.

32. Posted February 26, 2015 at 11:03 am | Permalink

My wife often dreams that she can fly. Just like Neo in the Matrix movies.

The best I can do is pretty lame. I used to have occasional dreams where I had a “magic skateboard” thing that I could sit on and fly it (very low above the ground — never as high as even waist-high) around at will by mental command.

I also a few times dreamed of being in an inflatable rubber dingy thing with a good friend of mine and we could make it fly in a similar manner by mental command.

My wife still sometimes teases me about my magic skateboard. 🙂

I also regularly dream about taking really nasty drops in a whitewater kayak. I always survive them, somehow. But it’s terrifying (and yet, fun at the same time — just like real WW kayaking).

But I don’t dream about backcountry mountain skiing or rock/ice climbing and mountaineering, all of which I also did in the past at a fairly intense level. I was more terrified by WW kayaking (at first) so maybe that’s why.

I found that by about age 35, I had gotten over my desire for adrenalin sports. Probably a very good thing.

• Mark Sturtevant
      Posted February 26, 2015 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Flying dreams are the best. Then you wake up, and…. ‘damn’!.

33. Posted February 26, 2015 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Sub

34. elizabeth3hersh
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 11:38 am | Permalink

I dreamt I got Steve Wynn (Las Vegas) to 1) pose blowing me a kiss and 2) puckering up so I could capture it on camera for a photo contest. I KNEW I was going to win that contest.

Your dream was just as delicious.

35. Bob
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 11:40 am | Permalink

RE: “At least mine wasn’t about having a final exam and not having studied, or not being able to find the exam room.”

Boy, I’ve had plenty of those dreams, as well as some other very weird ones presumably arising from a stressful, pressure-paced work environment.

36. Posted February 26, 2015 at 11:46 am | Permalink

I very often have weird dreams, but for many years now I am always *intellectually* aware that I am dreaming; not so emotionally, which is odd.

• infiniteimprobabilit
      Posted February 27, 2015 at 12:20 am | Permalink

Yes I find that. If something unusually scary is happening, I somehow know in the back of my mind that it’s just a dream. I have even on occasion thought “I don’t much like the way this is going” and steered my dream into a more acceptable course. Weird.

37. Posted February 26, 2015 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Don’t want to worry you, Gerry, but this is a weird one. Take care. (It was a dream I had last week)
    “Dreams : weird one last night. I was in another country (USA?) and was discussing racism with a black girl. “It would be like if you were in that” (indicated giant building which may have been a bank or university) “with all those magicians”. Which I took to be a reference to another racial minority. I had a task to to which involved going to this place but before I could set off, I received a message on my ‘phone with a photo of a well known scientist, dead in pine box. Although he wasn’t the object of our exercise, my heart sank because I realised that we had failed. Blimey, that’s one i could have done without!”

38. ladyatheist
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Could the 2nd part be a dissertation defense or comprehensive exams? Or maybe tenure review? Then the committee leaves and has a good time together. You have to “pay your dues” to be a member of a golf club or an academic department’s faculty. The belt is the academic prayer shawl (I can’t remember what those sashes people wear at convocations are called)

… and Geena Davis wants you to break free of it all!

Or maybe it means you should lay off the spicy foods during the week.

39. ladyatheist
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

My dreams are all weird, and almost all of them take place in a big city, like New York, DC, or London. In one dream I wound up on a wrong train and wound up off the end of Long Island on an island that doesn’t exist IRL and couldn’t get back due to the weather. Other times I’ve taken the wrong train in New York and wound up on the wrong side of the park.

I almost never see in color and almost never hear anything useful, but I do smell random things. In one dream that had nothing to do with food I suddenly smelled banana.

40. Posted February 26, 2015 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

I’ve can remember a couple of dreams that were just completely surreal, almost to the point of defying description.

My go-to funny dream, because it’s easy to describe, involved Ton Koopman, a Dutch organist, conductor and early music specialist, playing Bach’s A major Harpsichord concerto on a typewriter, dressed in a rainbow clown wig and an ill-fitting A-shirt (revealing a hairy and slightly blubbery midriff). The location was an organ practice room at the Eastman School of Music, where I attended.

• natalielaberlinoise
      Posted February 27, 2015 at 2:20 am | Permalink

Brilliant. That wasn’t a dream. Except for the bit about the location.
      😉

41. Posted February 26, 2015 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

/@

42. Another Tom
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

The weirdest dream I’ve had recently was about a month ago. I dreamed that I had insomnia. My dreamed involved me waking up at around 2AM and not being able to fall back asleep for hours. Then my alarm clock woke me up for work. The primary reason I could tell it was a dream is that the alarm clock in the dream was different than my clock.

I felt rather tired that day.

43. Yiam Cross
    Posted February 26, 2015 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

No one famous ever turns up in my dreams. You celebrities have all the luck.

44. Posted February 26, 2015 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe no one has seen the obvious answer yet. As reductive materialists, this quantum dream makes no sense. But given our infinite multiverse and spooky action at a distance, a couple of particles likely made their way over from the 8th dimension, interacted with dark matter and resulted in Jerry dreaming what happened to him in reality about 10^126 light years away in a parallel Universe. Why 126? Higgs, of course.

45. Posted February 26, 2015 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

I often dream about animals. Not last night though — can’t remember any recent dreams, except for cats. I’ve been worried about the big feral cat in our neighbourhood, since it’s been so cold. He’s untrappable, so I leave out food for him. Weeks passed without sight of him, and then I dreamed about him, being on top of the shed which is quite tall and he never goes up there. (Anyway, he did show himself this week which was a relief.)

This past summer I dreamed that a dozen kittens were clambering all over me. It was wonderful!

46. Posted February 26, 2015 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Geena Davis has a genius IQ level. I’m wondering if you subconsciously feel you’ve sacrificed a primary lifetime relationship for the sake of your work.

47. Starr
    Posted February 27, 2015 at 11:17 am | Permalink

I had a really weird dream a year or so ago, involving some people I work with. The only reason I remember it is that I woke up straight out of it, and immediately recorded it so I could tell the story accurately to the people involved. Here was the dream, word for word (with names changed), for context “Meg” and I are software developers, and “Sandy” is in QA:

—-
    Dream
    Meg/Sandy/Sandy’s Dog are inside somewhere, I am outside thinking about a bug in Sandy’s Dog.

Sandy brings the dog outside, and is going through a test case, selected the dog, and selecting the ‘Go to Person’ or ‘Go to Location’ command. When there are lines of shadow covering the only path the the target, the dog walks across the shadow fine when choosing ‘Go to Location’, but fails to find a path when choosing ‘Go to Person’.

I begin discussing with Meg the severity o the bug in the dog’s pathfinding, and whether we should bother to make it a high priority to fix, or allow the dog to go into production with the bug in place.
    —-

The weirdest thing to me about the dream, was that it was clearly about programming, but there were no computers involved at all. The dog was a real dog. The “interface” for controlling it was just pointing with your finger.