Don’t forget the hummingbirds

Over at HummingbirdCam, the two Allen’s hummingbird chicks are growing rapidly and being fed often.   Don’t miss them, for they’ll fledge before we know it.  Here’s a screenshot of feeding time taken five minutes ago:

1. abadidea
    Posted March 17, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

I opened it exactly as the momma bird came back. I didn’t get a clear view of the babies!

Ever since escaping Young Earth Creationism all too recently, I’ve been getting a special thrill from modern dinosaurs 🙂

Oh! There they are! Literally two throbbing pieces of flesh. Hard to believe they grow into something so beautiful! I saw a flash of the ruby throat on the momma, dazzling 🙂

2. abadidea
    Posted March 17, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Eeeeewwwww. One of the babies just stuck its rear end out of the nest and let one rip. Do they instinctually know not to dirty the nest?

• Diane G.
      Posted March 17, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Yes. I have a great picture of a barn swallow baby doing that.

(Though parents often remove “fecal sacs” too…)

Whaddaya mean, eeww? Ever have a baby? :D.

3. Posted March 17, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Eagles, hummers… Hummers, eagles…
    Lucky they are in two time zones so I can watch each one at different times. Eagles sleeping now.

I caught the mom feeding the babies this time. I’m glad this one has sound but I think I heard a plane flying over.

I suppose those are spiderwebs holding the nest to the rose stems.

4. lamacher
    Posted March 17, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

What nature has done on its own, sans supernatural ‘nudging’, is magnificent, and in the absence of religion-sponsored mayhem, will continue.

5. Hempenstein
    Posted March 17, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

And for those interested in Peregrine Falcons, there’s… (you’ve probably already guessed) Falcon Cam! This is Last Picture Show to Wizard of Oz, and you have to suffer a cosmetic ad first, but it has the advantage of being up all night. From the Cathedral (in architecture only!) at the University of Pittsburgh: http://www.aviary.org/cons/falconcam_cl.php

• daveau
      Posted March 18, 2011 at 7:12 am | Permalink

No, no, NO! I’m already not getting any work done.