Epic win in Sedalia

The Sedalia High School evolution tee-shirt poll is apparently still open, though it was reportedly closed earlier today.  As of a few minutes ago (2:50 pm Monday), a big YAY:

Sedalia pollFig. 1.  The militant Darwinian horde has spoken

Vote here (bottom of right-hand column), and undo the damage that Richard Dawkins has wrought in Missouri.

1. Posted August 31, 2009 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Link?

Glen Davidson

2. Anders
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

I know these polls are a complete waste of time either way, but it still annoys me how they completely miss the point. They are not “Overreacting”, they are ignorants and they are wrong.

3. hempenstein
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Still, voter turnout could be described as moderate. At last look, with 6800 votes, this means that 2/3 of Sedalians have yet to vote. Also for ref, 6800 is about half the SD’s circulation.

• Wes
      Posted August 31, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

It’s not people in Sedalia. The poll was Pharyngulated.

• Hempenstein
        Posted August 31, 2009 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

I know; that was tongue-in-cheek. I got curious what the chances they’ve ever had a poll with that many votes. Or so lopsided a vote.

4. Kyle
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

PZ Myers and the Pharyngulites are to thank for that

• whyevolutionistrue
      Posted August 31, 2009 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Indeed! I sure didn’t think that this website was responsible! I am a man without a horde . . .

5. SoreLoser
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

I thought that would be increasing the damage that RD had caused? Shouldn’t we accommidationists be supporting the anti-T-shirt movement? 🙂

6. newenglandbob
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

I voted about 10 times 🙂

7. articulett
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

I showed the “forbidden t-shirt” to my students so they could enjoy a gleeful chuckle at the yokels in Sedalia.

I think the kids ought to sell their t-shirts on Ebay to us sciency folks or wear them when they aren’t representing the band.

Shame on Sedalia’s nutters. I hope this makes the kids more interested in that evoution thing some adults were so up-in-arms about.

8. Bryan
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

The Sedalia paper has an article about its own poll being hijacked.

“We had an overwhelming response from people who read scientific blogs,” (editor) Satnan said. “The poll may not reflect Sedalia’s viewpoint but it does show the global reading audience’s stance.”

9. 386sx
    Posted September 1, 2009 at 6:02 am | Permalink

That scene portrayed of the monkey evolving into an upright man is one of those “icon” thingies creationists don’t like very much. Creationists don’t like those kinds of “icons” of evolution, because they don’t want to come from no stinkin monkeys.

That’s what creationism is all about, really. No stinkin monkeys.

10. jdhuey
    Posted September 1, 2009 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

I’m wondering it there is not a great big silver lining to this gray cloud: perhaps the students in Sedalia will begin to wonder what all the fuss is about with evolution and, maybe, pick up some good book on evolution (ship a crate of ‘WEIT’ to Sedalia,stat) and actually read it for understanding (as oppose to memorizing it just to pass the mid-term). This might make a good nugget of information to assess the impacts of this type of controversy. Perhaps is a month or so, someone will go to Sedalia and perform a post-mortem on this incident.