Caturday felid trifecta: Felted kitties; holiday gifts for cat lovers; cat landscapes

Today’s trifecta includes an item we’ve encountered before, but not in this form: felted cat replicas. “Wakuneco’s” notes on YouTube concern replicating in felt the face of a deceased cat, a companion to another cat recently reproduced in felt:

I found “Cha-kun” the red tabby which I created in 2018 in my hands again. The owner who asked me to create “Cha-kun” had another cat called “Koh-chan” who recently went to heaven.

I decided to create Koh-chan for my new project. I wanted to see them side by side and make small adjustments so I asked the owner to send me Cha-kun. They were both stray cats. Both cats were taken in at different times but were both suffering severely from starvation when they were found. With the much love and care from the owner, both cats found themselves very happy together as a family till their very last day. Cha-kun and Koh-chan were very fortunate to have such a kind-hearted and loving owner take them in.

I had the opportunity to create such cats. I don’t really know what role my cat portraits have but I hope that they somehow help these cat owners who have lost their beloved pets.

This artist does a fantastic job of recreating the cats in felt, though some think the result is so realistic as to be ghoulish (I don’t agree!). Even the eyes are painstakingly created with paint and pigment from glass spheres.  The amazing thing is that getting this done for your cat appears to cost only $230 at Wakuneco’s etsy store (there are other gifts as well, like portraits).

***************

The holidays are coming: Hanukkah, Christmas, and Koynezaa, and My Modern Met has a list of the gifts your ailurophilic friends would love to get (click on the screenshot). I’ll show a few of the goodies, with a link to where you can buy them:

Metal cat bookend:

Melting cat candle, with a demon surprise inside:

Cat hammock (though your moggy may prefer a cheaper cardboard box):

Temporary cat tattoos:

Cat butt magnets! (I have these on my refrigerator):

. . . and a beautiful cat journal to record your lucubrations. Only $21.

***************

Bored Panda reproduces some lovely cat landscapes by the author of the article. The details:

My name is Lim Heng Swee, and I’m a self-taught illustrator from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Cats, for me, are very mysterious animals. I like their personalities, which are always curious, calm, and relaxed. I always feel soothed when observing their postures, and I found that the curves of cats can perfectly blend into natural landscape scenes. Therefore, I decided to create a series of cat landscape artworks in which the cats play hide and seek with you inside these minimal landscape artworks.

Hope these simple, playful, colorful artworks with a touch of a sense of humor will ease the stressfulness we are facing in 2020.

If you’re interested, you can find my previous posts hereherehere, here, and here.

Here are a few:

h/t: Ronaldo, Bruce, Su

1. kyuss
    Posted November 21, 2020 at 9:47 am | Permalink

what happened to the search function and all the links? the utility of this site has taken a great big leap backwards.

• Frank Bath
      Posted November 21, 2020 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Scroll down left.

• Posted November 21, 2020 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

As I said, the site glitched, thanks to WordPress. All the sidebar stuff is there, and, as Frank said, you have to scroll all the way down to the left.

I’m doing my best to fix it! It won’t be that long, so I ask readers to bear with me and refrain from kvetching. I have a new post up in which I ask for readers’ suggestions.

• GravelInspector
        Posted November 21, 2020 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Does the new version “allow for” something like a running poll/ discussion for feature complaints (“regression testing” in one of the programmer’s “move fast & break things” paradigms) and/ or feature requests.
        There are a variety of ways of managing “consumers” … which I was typing while thinking “consumers = not-a-blog users”. But on typing it, I realise it may actually be a wider issue, which U.Chi may well have tools and advice for in the mind-set of “consumers = students”. You’re not the only Emeritus Prof at U.Chi (well, I doubt it!), and you’re unlikely to be the only emiritum (??) using the platform. Is there a User Group somewhere (news://chi.edu ??) to provide you with help on this and general administrivia.

2. Merilee
    Posted November 21, 2020 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Love the Malaysian artist’s kitty art.

3. Mark Sturtevant
    Posted November 21, 2020 at 10:54 am | Permalink

I really like the cat prints!

4. Nicolaas Stempoels
    Posted November 21, 2020 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

I already knew Japanese artisans are the best in the world, by far. They work with love, dedication and great skill. Wakuneco’s felt cats are a new apotheosis. Fantastic, mind blowing, no words.

• jezgrove
      Posted November 21, 2020 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Yes, those felt portraits are incredible!

5. GravelInspector
    Posted November 21, 2020 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Does anyone have a translation of these OverLord names into English (Or French, Spanish, German, Swahili, Russian, in about that order of preference?

6. GravelInspector
    Posted November 21, 2020 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

I love the “Great wave of 5 Cats and Fuji-san” picture … but where have the 20-odd fishermen gone, and who is going to feed the “cait an uisge” once they’ve dried off? Some be-fingered minion needs to get the fire going!