ZeFrank on reptile tongues

To end a long and difficult week, here’s an edifying new video about reptile tongues by the incomparable ZeFrank. Am I mistaken, or is ZeFrank putting more good biology into these gee-whiz videos?

But who is this “Jerry” to whom he keeps referring?

1. Posted November 20, 2020 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

The YouTube comments about “Jerry” tend to be quite funny. I love these videos and watch them the instant they come up in my feed. I think he IS tending ever more to put good, serious biology into the videos, possibly because he’s getting more and more offers of help from serious biologists who want to have a part in his work (I think he has always done this at least to some degree, though, with the possible exception of “True Facts about Morgan Freeman”).

• jezgrove
      Posted November 20, 2020 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

ZeFrank refers to Bob, too of course…

I’m not sure if he’s getting more biology in, but the videos are a brilliant mix of informative material and humo(u)r.

2. gbjames
    Posted November 20, 2020 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Love it!

Posted November 20, 2020 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

When humans do this [flick their tongues in the air, in a repeated, oscillating up-and-down movement], it’s called an HR violation.

Just ask Manny from Scarface:

4. Mark Sturtevant
    Posted November 20, 2020 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Great stuff. I could never use him for teaching, but that’s ok.

5. Debra Coplan
    Posted November 20, 2020 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Great information. I’m so glad I’m not an insect and food for any of these creatures.

6. Paul S
    Posted November 20, 2020 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Cool. Sent to my friend who has a lizard named Rex. A few weeks ago Rex went crazy and started diffing up dirt all over his quite large terrarium, about half a bedroom. They had no idea what was wrong. Turns out Rex was laying eggs.

His/her new name is T-Rex

7. Posted November 20, 2020 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I’m not the only one who assumes that the true identity of the mysterious (and somewhat lubricious) “Jerry” to whom Mr Franks refers is most likely a well known author on evolutionary matters.

8. ThyroidPlanet
    Posted November 20, 2020 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Best one yet! Truly amazing! I was eating a burrito while watching this and was a little unsettled but couldn’t look away. Vortices!

9. Jason Seaman