Google Easter eggs

Reader Mark Sturtevant called my attention to something that most of us probably don’t know about: Google “Easter Eggs”: results of searches that yield a bonus.

He found one this way:

I did not know that Google had ‘Easter eggs’.
But here is one:
In Google, type in: wizard of oz
Click on the red slippers,
then click on the tornado.
Yes, it’s a little cute “find” that you have to know about to see.  When you Google, you’ll see this; click on the red slippers and then after some kerfuffle you’ll get a tornado. Click on that and you’ll get a different kerfuffle.

Then I found out (by Googling, of course), that there’s a Big List of Google Easter Eggs. Some are retired, but there are enough to amuse you for a while. I don’t know how one finds these things; presumably people hit on them by accident. But how did they know to click on the red shoes? Does that triangular symbol to the left tell you?

1. Mobius
    Posted October 24, 2020 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Thanx. Haven’t watch that in ages.

2. pablo
    Posted October 24, 2020 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I remember finding out about this a few years ago, there was one for Thanos from the Avengers movies.

3. Nobody Special
    Posted October 24, 2020 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

The triangle to the left of the shoes is the ‘share’ button, a shortcut to your contacts and social media sites for sending a link to a page.

4. Mark Reaume
    Posted October 24, 2020 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I was aware of “do a barrel roll”

5. Posted October 24, 2020 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

The list doesn’t include the Pele one which I commented here a day or two ago. Search for the famous soccer player, “pele”. Scroll down to the page list and click on the football.

6. Steve Gerrard
    Posted October 24, 2020 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

Googling “askew” is pretty good.

• cyan
      Posted October 24, 2020 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

hah! Thanks

7. Posted October 25, 2020 at 3:31 am | Permalink

I would encourage you all to drop Google & replace it with another search engine such as duckduckgo. They do not track you. I use Ecosia as they are ethically minded & PLANT TREES! What does Google do that is not evil?

8. Posted October 26, 2020 at 4:01 am | Permalink

The Jason Isaacs one is missing (may only work in the UK).