Readers’ wildlife photos

Today we have a potpourri from several readers. Their captions are indented.

First, a photo from Kristin Wells (click to enlarge):

The picture attached was taken this month at  Bear Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado.

Reader Cate found a debilitated baby squirrel (probably dehydrated) and wrote me asking what to do with it (she’s local). I told her to call the Chicago Bird Collision Monitors, who would know what to do with it.  They did, and took it for rehab. Her notes:

Thanks Jerry, you were spot on. I called the bird people, and I was able to drop the poor little guy off with Annette downtown so she could bring him along with this morning’s wounded birds to Willowbrook. If you want to post anything about it to alert people about the wonderful people saving birds again, and that they can also take and safe squirrels, I can send you a picture of Annette holding the box with the squirrel too. He or she was a lovely specimen, an incredible tail.

The poor baby after rescue:

Annette taking it to Willowbrook (a rescue/rehab facility where I’ve sent several orphaned or abandoned ducklings). Chicago Bird Collision Monitors is a fantastic organization, made up largely of volunteers. Their main job is to find birds downtown that have been stunned by flying into buildings, and rescuing them. But they go all over the Chicago area rescuing wildlife in trouble.

A spider from Jorg Driesener:

A friend of mine, Peter Simpkin,  suggested I send you some photos of wildlife I have taken in my yard in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.  I don’t know the scientific names of the animals, but I enjoy macro photography and thus take photos at every opportunity.

If you know the spider, weigh in below:

From Tim Anderson:

Messier 16 is a bright emission nebula in the Serpens constellation. This image was compiled from forty 180-second frames captured with a 100mm refracting telescope and a colour astronomical camera.
In the centre of the image is a structure known as “The Pillars of Creation“, made famous by the Hubble Space Telescope:

1. Mark Jones
    Posted October 20, 2020 at 8:10 am | Permalink

The first spider may be a crab spider (Diaea evanida), the second a green jumping spider (Mopsus mormon)?

• tjeales
      Posted October 20, 2020 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Definitely a female Mopsus mormon Green Jumping Spider. The one in the retreat…not the right eye arrangment for a crab spider. My guess from the clues is Araneus praesignis, Outstanding Orbweaver or better known as the Alien Butt Spider. The thing to do is to go out at night or near dawn or dusk and it will be out on its web. Look at the back end and if it has the alien eyes that’s what it is. Here’s one in a similar daytime retreat https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/52526932 and these photos will show the whole spider https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/34821803

• Jenny Haniver
        Posted October 21, 2020 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

I was very curious about the “alien butt” and it was worth the trouble tracking it down. This has a much better image of the alien butt

I don’t know how to embed images or I would have embedded this one because that alien butt really deserves to be seen. Worth a George Noury show.

• Jenny Haniver
          Posted October 21, 2020 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Click that little box and the image appears. That’s the best I could do. Better than nothing.

2. Posted October 20, 2020 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Nice photos and a lot of variety!

Posted October 20, 2020 at 10:12 am | Permalink

I hope the squirrel made it.

4. Posted October 20, 2020 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Great pictures! That is an interesting enclosure made by the first spider.

Posted October 20, 2020 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Nice variety of photos. Hopefully the squirrel pulls through. Very pretty jumping spider…love the coloration.

6. Posted October 20, 2020 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Wonderful smorgasbord of shots. Thanks to all you talented photographers.

7. Diana MacPherson
    Posted October 20, 2020 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

I know that spider! It’s Simon! Simon from the leaf!

8. Posted October 21, 2020 at 2:50 am | Permalink