Caturday felid trifecta: Simon’s cat at adoption; violin practice with kitten; Maine Coon cat joins Star Trek

It’s Caturday again, and I hope ailurophiles, who must surely comprise many readers, look at this weekly feature. Today we have a special Simon’s Cat cartoon, showing when Simon’s cat was first adopted.

Unsatisfied with making model ships, and remembering his own childhood cat, Simon goes to the adoption center to find a moggie.  He finds Simon’s Kitten, who proves to be a handful right from the beginning.

Be sure to watch till the end.

****************

Below is a talented and cat-loving musician who’s rigged up a kangaroo pouch so her tiny kitten can be with her as she practices:

Here are the YouTube notes from the musician, Esther Abrami, whose work you can support at Patreon.

I work as a host family for the cat shelter https://associationfelicite.wordpress…

if you’d like to help us financially you can do so here: https://www.paypal.me/abramiesther All the money received will go straight to pay vet bills and cat food.

She cries when I leave her on the floor so here’s what I did! 1. Start of my practise session 😻 2. End of session 😴 –

Rémila’s story: This kitten was abandoned but thankfully rescued by the cat shelter https://associationfelicite.wordpress… As a host family I took care of her for the past week. When she arrived she was less than 400 grams, scared and had breathing issues from having stayed outside for several days. I’m happy to say that after 7 days of milk bottles and constant cuddles Rémila has now become one of the friendliest cats I’ve ever seen. She follows me absolutely everywhere around the house and refuses to be left alone on the floor. She is always either on my laps or in her little bag around my waist!

#AdoptDontShop

Perhaps Esther will adopt this adorable tabby. Being a classical-music numbskull, I don’t recognize the piece she’s playing, but I’m sure some readers will.

Kittens can sleep anywhere!

****************

I’m not a Trekkie, but some readers are, and my former grad student, Mohamed Noor, is the biggest Trekkie of all. After having written the book Live Long and Evolve: What Star Trek Can Teach Us About Evolution, Genetics, and Life on Other Worlds, he’s been made a scientific consultant to the new series, Star Trek: Discovery.

And, as space.com announces, the third season of that series features a hefty 18-pound Main Coon Cat (they misspell “Coon”) named Grudge on the show, but whose real name is Leeu:

Among the many new characters that “Star Trek: Discovery” will introduce in Season 3 is one of the non-human sort: a fluffy feline named Grudge.

The cat, played by a, 18-lb. (8 kilograms) Maine Coone named Leeu, is just the latest cat star in the 54-year-old franchise — but he’s already stealing the show.

“We put out a casting call for a large cat … and he fit the bill. So far he seems to be a one-take wonder,” said Leslie Lawrence, one of Leeu’s trainers, in a short video released by CBS All Access Sept. 8.

The two-year-old Maine Coon, like any Hollywood star worth their claws, is on Instagram and Twitter so that you can follow along with his adventures. So far, the staff on “Discovery” is impressed by his stamina.

While no one mentioned it in the video, it’s likely that American Humane is making sure that Leeu remains happy and safe, as the society monitors animal safety and health on film and TV sets.

“Everybody says that their cat can make a good set cat. But it does take a specific animal to be able to stay cool and calm and collected, because when cats are done, they’re done,” Lawrence said. The staff works hard to make sure Leeu feels safe in his environment. And to get him to look at the camera, Leeu’s handlers catch his attention with tin foil and treat bags.

Here’s an introductory video about Grudge:

The article recounts a number of cats that have inhabited previous editions of Star Trek, and also notes that the show is going woke:

Leeu joins an ever-more-diverse cast of actors on the show, which will include several new additions this season: transgender actor Ian Alexander, nonbinary actor Blu del Barrio, and Black actor David Ajala — the latter of whom is the owner of Grudge in the show.

h/t: Amy, Merilee, Paul

1. Brujo Feo
    Posted September 26, 2020 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Gabriel Fauré’s Après un rêve… lovely. If you look at the profile picture on either my FB page (https://www.facebook.com/brujo.feo–sorry–I don’t know how to embed the photo here) or my WordPress profile, you’ll see a pic taken in Palermo, Sicily, in 1990, when my then-traveling companion and I were sharing an apartment with some college students.

One of them had this newborn kitten, Paki. She would sit on my shoulder for hours as I was practicing the viola (or occasionally the violin), watching the bow go up and down.

• Brujo Feo
      Posted September 26, 2020 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Silly me. The same pic pops up here when I comment.

2. merilee
    Posted September 26, 2020 at 10:12 am | Permalink

My Booker T weighs 18 lbs. He’s not remotely “hefty”, just lonnnnnng, with big feets.

3. Saul Sorrell-Till
    Posted September 26, 2020 at 10:28 am | Permalink

“transgender actor Ian Alexander, nonbinary actor Blu del Barrio, and Black actor David Ajala”

I don’t think this alone is evidence of Star Trek “going woke”. Why is it automatically woke to hire someone who isn’t straight and white?

Maybe they were hired for purely tokenistic reasons…or maybe they’re good actors. Shouldn’t we give them the benefit of the doubt? Otherwise it’s a bit too close to the kind of assumptions people make about successful black people necessarily being beneficiaries of affirmative action.

• Posted September 26, 2020 at 11:30 am | Permalink

I hear you but it is hard to watch this show without getting the feeling that its diversity was calculated to the nth degree. It’s exactly the kind of show where using diversity to expand appeal wins out over good acting and finding the right actor for each role. In short, they probably picked the race/gender targets first and then defined the roles to be cast. As Bill Maher says, I can’t prove it but I know it’s true.

Posted September 26, 2020 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Yes, I think that’s right. What are the probabilities that this diverse group would ever be found together within such a small population size?

• Saul Sorrell-Till
        Posted September 27, 2020 at 7:47 am | Permalink

I haven’t actually seen it so I’ll take your word for it. You big nerd.

It’s Netflix, isn’t it? Whenever I see their logo above a new show I tend to skip past it, they’re so reliably consistent when it comes to churning out mediocre stuff. It’s quantity over quality with their shows recently.

• Posted September 27, 2020 at 11:17 am | Permalink

CBS All Access, at least originally. These days some shows are available on other networks so I suppose it might be on Netflix but I doubt it.

• Posted September 28, 2020 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

If Star Trek is woke, it’s been that way since the original series. A 1969 episode about two remaining people of a unique species — black on one side and right on the other challenged racist views. The crew couldn’t figure out why these last two people hated each other so much. Turns out they were both racist. One was black on the left side. The other was black on the right side. To Kirk, this seemed like a ridiculous distinction.

The Next Generation series also had an episode that challenged gay conversion therapy in a clever way.

Science fiction has long been a great vehicle by which to look at societal norms through a different lens. I just see this as a continuation of what the show has been doing all along.

• Posted September 28, 2020 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

I meant to say *white* on the other, not *right* on the other above. Ugh. Hell of a Freudian slip. :-/

• Posted September 28, 2020 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

I knew the episode to which you were referring so I didn’t even notice the typo which is unusual for me.

• Posted September 28, 2020 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Yes, that black/white episode was quite heavy handed in its treatment of the race issue. However, I would hesitate to call it Woke. They were not recommending that each race maintain their distinctive identity and rais their “lived experience” to dominate everything. It was plain old liberal storytelling.

• Steve Gerrard
      Posted September 26, 2020 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

They have added a transgender character and a nonbinary character to the script of the show. It seems reasonable to cast actors for those role accordingly.

4. Posted September 26, 2020 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I love cats and I suppose I’m a Trekkie, though I certainly wouldn’t go to one of those Star Trek conventions, assuming they still have them. Still, the addition of Grudge is not going to make me enjoy “Star Trek: Discovery”. It’s one of the worst incarnations of Star Trek ever.

• Saul Sorrell-Till
      Posted September 27, 2020 at 7:58 am | Permalink

I do remember when I was younger wishing I liked Star Trek, purely because the bloody show was on the BBC what felt like all night and day. I think it’s something you have to latch onto early maybe.

I can say one thing though: I vastly prefer Trekkies to the toxic wasteland that is Star Wars fandom. I think the generally positive, rationalist worldview of Star Trek as a show makes for more thoughtful fans. Fans who are less likely to, say, post graphic death threats against directors or re-edit an entire film to leave out all the female characters.

5. Johan le Roux
    Posted September 26, 2020 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Leeu is an apt name for a big cat – it’s Afrikaans for Lion; from the Dutch Leeuw.

6. jezgrove
    Posted September 26, 2020 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

The Caturday felid trifecta is a weekend highlight!

7. Posted September 26, 2020 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

My Maine Coon was 27lbs at his top but he had kidney issues and dropped below 10 lbs. We kept him going while he was confortqble but we had to put him down eventually. One of the sadder days of my life. But I have two more cats and they help ease the pain 🙂

• merilee
      Posted September 26, 2020 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

😿
      27 lbs is a veritable “lug”😻

• Posted October 10, 2020 at 10:12 am | Permalink

The “replacements” are 23 and 17 and they are just domestic short hairs. Something in the water I guess.

8. Barbara Radcliffe
    Posted September 26, 2020 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Saturday Felid Trifecta is my Sunday morning treat here in Oz.

9. Jenny Haniver
    Posted September 26, 2020 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Here’s another moggie – a very tiny kitten that looks like Yoda, was rescued from one of the California wildfires https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/26/us/baby-yoda-kitten-california-wildfires-trnd/index.html — now named Baby Yoda.

10. sugould
    Posted September 27, 2020 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Many years back, Simon Tofield, artist and author behind the drawings, went on a promotional tour in the US to promote his first book of cat cartoons.(I attended one in Chicago.)

He drew large drawings of the many cats and kittens he’s had throughout his life, and he donated the drawings to local cat shelters to raffle off at the many fundraisers. He also does the voice for the animations.

11. Andrea Kenner
    Posted September 28, 2020 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Super great trifecta! Thank you, PCC(E)!

12. Posted September 28, 2020 at 10:08 am | Permalink

I love how the destruction of the model ship at 6:55 in the Simon video closely resembles the sinking of the Titanic. I suspect that was by design.