Photos of readers

Well, this is the last one in the tanks, and th- th- th- that’s all, folks! Unless, that is, someone steps up to the plate.

Today we have engineer, physicist, and origami master Robert Lang, whose creations have been featured before (here), as well as several dollops of photos (e.g., here and here).  Robert’s captions are indented:

I saw your plea for Photos of Readers contributions today, and while I have no pictures of me since COVID began (all my travel and lecturing went poof), I will offer two pictures from past times.

The first is from my last exhibition before COVID closed everything; a show at the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum in Wausau, WI. This past winter they brought in 3 separate exhibitions of origami, and were kind enough to include my work in all three parts of the show. This photo was taken at one of the gallery walks (an informal walk-and-lecture); the piece just behind me is “Ghost Deer,” a family of deer, each folded from a single (large) uncut square of mulberry paper.

The second photo is inspired by one of yours, adventuring in the mountains (from about 25 years ago). That’s me halfway across the Tyrolean traverse after climbing the Lost Arrow Spire in Yosemite with a group of friends. The Lost Arrow is a pinnacle that is separated from the cliff next to Yosemite Falls. To climb it, one rappels about 250’ down from the rim to the notch at the base of the spire, then climb back up the spire, dragging the rope that is still attached to the rim; once you get to the top, you pull the rope taut and traverse back to the rim (which is what I’m doing in the photo). It was pretty adventurous, but still cannot compare to your photo, because, well, I’m still wearing clothes.

1. 5DimSpaceTim
    Posted July 27, 2020 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

In regards to your Porky Pig reference:

It’s spelled “a-bu-dee-a-bu-dee-a-bu-dee-that’s all folks.”

2. Posted July 27, 2020 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Great climbing photo! My climbing days ended in 1996.

I pass by the Woodson Museum at least three times a year (driving the Packer Highway). Never have stopped though. Seems like we need to stop in next time ….

Even the Tip route on Lost Arrow is pretty challenging, especially given the location. 🙂

• bugfolder
      Posted July 27, 2020 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

When we climbed, the last pitch (my lead) had bolt stubs (but no hangers) on the aid sections, which still allowed hanging wired stoppers on the stubs. I heard a while back that someone had chopped the stubs, which would up the challenge considerably.

• John Conoboy
        Posted July 28, 2020 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

The origami is just amazing. I climbed the Lost Arrow in the early 1970s. We did not set up the Tyrolean, but just left our rappel ropes from the rim to the notch and then rappelled down the spire and jumarred back to the rim.

The Arrow is one of the Fifty Classic Climbs of North America as set forth in the book of the same name by Roper and Steck. I still can’t believe I actually did it.

3. Posted July 27, 2020 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Wow! That is adventurous indeed!

4. Charles A Sawicki
    Posted July 27, 2020 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Love your origami!

5. Barry Lyons
    Posted July 27, 2020 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

As for that second photo, that gets a big “Nope” from me.

6. Posted July 27, 2020 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

I have extreme vertigo and that second photo is so wrong on so many levels. No. No. No.

I am also physicist and know very well that what makes physics beautiful is boundary conditions. The equivalence principle will only be tested until my body would hit the earth, then its a condensed matter problem.

• bugfolder
      Posted July 27, 2020 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

After a 3000′ fall, maybe particle theory would be more usefully descriptive.

7. jhs
    Posted July 27, 2020 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Nice. The second photo is wonderful. It turned my legs to jelly though. I’d have to wear an adult diaper to do something like that.

8. fishnet123
    Posted July 27, 2020 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Not being a climber & get dizzy cleaning the eves troughs…photo 2…wow…just OW!

9. Cate Plys
    Posted July 27, 2020 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Both photos: bravo!

10. Cate Plysb
    Posted July 27, 2020 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Actually, I should have mentioned that last week I had to climb up on the roof of my family’s lake house, a mere second story, to retrieve a table umbrella that blew up there and got caught. And I was surprised to find it was a little scary making my way from the top of the ladder onto the roof. So now I have that much more amazed by mountain climbing pictures.

• phoffman56
      Posted July 28, 2020 at 10:02 am | Permalink

I need to go up quite often to see to solar panels, e.g. remove snow. Fortunately it seems I have traded fear of heights for claustrophobia. Heights never have really bothered me, but the idea of exploring a cave, even swimming underwater in one–no way, Jose. I don’t even like slithering under the bed to fiddle with a landline phone connection.

11. Barbara Radcliffe
    Posted July 27, 2020 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the photos, Robert. The climbing one makes me feel ill, however! I did one of your classes at PCOC in Boulder, and had a brief chat with you after lunch in Sydney. I had no idea that you were also a WEIT fan… Our little origami group that meets twice monthly in Adelaide is now back to normal since South Australia has had no Covid cases for some time. I hope that things will settle down so that I can attend PCOC in San Francisco in 2021.

12. Bruce E Lyon
    Posted July 27, 2020 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

I got dizzy just looking at the climbing photo. That is one hell of a photo! In my lockdown boredom I just rewatched a Mission Impossible movie and you would have fit right in.

13. Posted July 27, 2020 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Like others, that second photo makes my palms sweat……

14. Posted July 27, 2020 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Now that’s some crazy sh*t, Robert! The Lost Arrow adventure, I mean. So glad you didn’t self-origami on that wild trip.

15. phoffman56
    Posted July 28, 2020 at 6:35 am | Permalink

As is definitely good advice, it is said to look where you want to go, definitely not to where you don’t want to go, at least till in a safe spot.

Applies to skiing, biking downhill, …; does it to rock climbing?

16. phoffman56
    Posted July 28, 2020 at 10:07 am | Permalink

“.. this is the last one in the tanks..”

That mountaineering pic would be a good, dramatic one to end on, but it would be shame to end.

C’mon people, don’t be shy!

Posted July 28, 2020 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Impressive origami…and rock climbing. “Pretty adventurous” is the understatement of the year. 🙂