Photos of readers

After this one, we have one in the queue, so now’s the time to get your mug displayed properly to thousands of people. Please email me one or two photos with brief captions, preferably (but not necessarily) of you doing something of interest during lockdown. Or just tell us a bit about yourself.

Today’s reader is John Cole (plus his partner), who tells us this:

Hi:  These were taken last September when my wife and I visited La Fondation Claude Monet in Giverny, France.  My wife is the one with artistic appreciation but I’ve become more appreciative with her guidance.  She is originally from Tehran and studied French from childhood, so she has a love of all things French.  The three trips we’ve made to Europe in the six years we’ve been together have broadened my horizons more than I could have imagined when I was younger and lived in Thoreau-esque simplicity in the Berkshires of western Mass.

John Cole [“finknottle” on the site]

1. Randall Schenck
    Posted June 20, 2020 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Nice photos. My wife is the art person in this family as well. I know very little.

Posted June 20, 2020 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Giverny and Thoreau-esque simplicity are two outstanding conditions for your condition to be in.

• Ken Kukec
      Posted June 20, 2020 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Sure hope Mr. Cole just drops in to this comment thread to see what condition his condition is in. 🙂

Posted June 20, 2020 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

He’s probably painting waterlilies at Walden Pond, and won’t be back for some time.

3. merilee
    Posted June 20, 2020 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Lovely shots of you two, though ol’ Claude looks a bit like a mushroom in that hat🤓

4. Charles A Sawicki
    Posted June 20, 2020 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Yep! Women do lots of good work enhancing our aesthetic sense as well as inducing an appreciation for the finer, more complicated aspects of life. I’m 76 and still being renovated.

5. Posted June 20, 2020 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

For a time, I was trying to morph the bust into DaVinci! Monet is still one of my absolute favorites.

6. finknottle
    Posted June 20, 2020 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Heheheh; believe it or not newts can be found there;-)

7. Secular Transhumanist
    Posted June 20, 2020 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

How long until some ignorant yahoo tears this statue down?

Posted June 20, 2020 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Nice set. Do kids from Tehran still have the availability to study French culture, Monet and such? Not without a hijab I suppose. I’m glad your wife escaped Iran’s backward slide. Maybe this comment is too controversial?, but curious and the cat and all.

• finknottle
      Posted June 20, 2020 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Not too controversial to me, Mark. She was a kid when the islamic junk ruined her Persian cultural inheritance. And she remained there under the hijab until twenty years ago when she and her ex split to Montreal. She has a more western approach than even I have, funny to say.

• Posted June 22, 2020 at 9:43 am | Permalink

Have you been able to visit Iran? I would love to visit; but I’m guessing, as a USian, it’s not likely in my lifetime.

Turkey is very much on the list however.

9. Posted June 21, 2020 at 2:13 am | Permalink

People who learn, study and appreciate other cultures at depth are always the most interesting people. 🙂
    D.A., NYC
    (Lifelong Japanophile)

10. Posted June 21, 2020 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Great photos, John! Thanks for sharing.