Jesus ‘n’ Mo ‘n’ question-begging

Today’s Jesus and Mo strip, called “guys”, is the 1002nd strip, but the author forgot to note the 1000th.. There is an addendum:

This is the 1002nd episode of Jesus & Mo. In this strange timeless lockdown I failed to notice the 1000th two weeks ago – which is a shame because I was going to invite all you readers round for a party. Never mind, we’ll have a proper celebration on the 2000th episode.

That will be in 20 years! In the meantime, Moses is quarantining with the boys, and Jesus engages in a J&M speciality: begging the question.

1. E.A. Blair
    Posted May 20, 2020 at 9:12 am | Permalink

I hope I’ll be around to see #2,000. According to my calculations, on 6 June of this year, sometime around 15:38, I will be 2,000,000,000 seconds old, unless COVID-19 or something else strikes me down in the next 17 days.

• Posted May 21, 2020 at 4:17 am | Permalink

You’ll still be two billion seconds old, you’ll just not be aware of it and many of your constituent atoms will have begun new independent adventures.

Posted May 20, 2020 at 9:42 am | Permalink

That’s really good.

3. W.T. Effingham
    Posted May 20, 2020 at 9:49 am | Permalink

It’s the Truthiness of Crucifixion and Resurrection that hold the Turtles in balance all the way down.

4. Posted May 20, 2020 at 9:52 am | Permalink

But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen: and if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.

— 1 Corinthians 15:13-14

Hey Paul, you said it, I didn’t!

• Posted May 21, 2020 at 4:18 am | Permalink

It’s my favourite example of “argument from adverse consequences”.

5. A C Harper
    Posted May 20, 2020 at 9:54 am | Permalink

In the event that non-interfering time travel showed that the crucifixion and resurrection didn’t happen there would still be plenty of people who would continue to believe.

Religous belief is not a matter of facts.

6. Roger
    Posted May 20, 2020 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

I mean, how you gonna explain the empty tomb? Tombs don’t get empty just for their looks, you know.

• Posted May 21, 2020 at 4:21 am | Permalink

The tomb of Tutankhamen is empty. Therefore he rose from the dead.

• Samphire
        Posted May 21, 2020 at 5:38 am | Permalink

When Mrs Josephine of Aramathea discovered on the Friday evening that her schmuck of a husband had put the dead seditious preacher in her brand new tomb she hit the ceiling and made her husband get the body out quick else no more matza for him.

I heard it on the accursed grapevine.

• Posted May 21, 2020 at 5:42 am | Permalink

That’s not implausible. A hypothesis I like to peddle is that J of A didn’t have time to take Jesus’ body to the mass grave for criminals so he stuck it in his own tomb and then moved it right after the Sabbath was over on Saturday evening.