Readers’ wildlife photos

Today’s photos come from young Jamie Blilie, who is not so young any more—he’s 16 (but still our youngest contributor). The indented captions and IDs are Jamie’s, though I’ve added the Latin binomials and links.

Red Breasted Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus ruber). I saw this one multiple times from our house, probably lives in the area. It always flew into this Douglas Fir,(Pseudotsuga menziesii), usually in the morning and evening.

I believe this is a Yellow-pine Chipmunk (Neotamias amoenus), but it also could be a Townsend’s chipmunk (Neotamias townsendii). If this helps anyone identify this, the photo was taken on Stagman Ridge, at the base of Mt. Adams (Gifford Pinchot National Forest, WA). Lots of dead trees and greenery.

I believe this is a Western Yellow-Bellied Racer (Coluber constrictor mormon. It spooked me when I was going back to the house.

Most likely a ruffed grouse (Bonasa umbellus). This grouse was walking in the middle of the road as we were going back to the house. It seem bothered by our car, or by me taking photos of it.

Don’t know what these are, but they looked pretty.  [Dad says:  Horsetails, Equisetum sp.]

Nashville Warbler (Leiothlypis ruficapilla):

Chicory flower (Cichorium intybus):

1. Jonathan Wallace
    Posted April 16, 2020 at 7:53 am | Permalink

Nice set of pictures Jamie

2. Posted April 16, 2020 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Very good! That snake has strikingly large eyes.

3. Liz
    Posted April 16, 2020 at 8:53 am | Permalink

Love these! Nice picture of the horsetails!

4. Posted April 16, 2020 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing them. Love the horsetails!

5. Posted April 16, 2020 at 9:19 am | Permalink

I love horsetails too. A few grew in my backyard near the house, and I’m encouraging the patch to grow by mowing down grass and other competitors.

6. Charles A Sawicki
    Posted April 16, 2020 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Thanks Jamie, nice pictures!

7. Debra Coplan
    Posted April 16, 2020 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Nice photos! I especially love the colors in the top photo of the Breasted Sapsucker.
    Thanks!

Posted April 16, 2020 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Very nice variety. What state are you in? The snake would be in the West?

9. Posted April 16, 2020 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Horsetail ferns, indeed. They look like asparagus when they first poke out of the ground in early spring.

• Posted April 16, 2020 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Some fun facts on horsetails from wikipedia.

They are not really ferns even though I’ve always heard them called that. Probably because they reproduce by spores.

The are a “living fossil”, a member of the Equisetaceae family which goes back to the carboniferous period, I think.

The spacing of the nodes along the shoot supposedly inspired John Napier to invent logarithms.

10. Posted April 16, 2020 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Here he is last year in Key West:

11. Posted April 16, 2020 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Eating lunch in Key West. Camera always in hand — even in a restaurant (this one was right on the beach).

• Mark R.
      Posted April 16, 2020 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Terrific contribution to RWP. The snake is my favorite.

• Mark R.
        Posted April 16, 2020 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

This was supposed to be a stand alone comment; don’t know how the comment ended up here, but just as well.

I can’t help but notice the simple enjoyment of eating in a restaurant with a glass of wine…the people in the background…when will that happen again? sigh…

12. ed hessler
    Posted April 16, 2020 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Chicory, one of the sweetest shades of blue I know and one of the (many) pleasures of summer is waiting for it.

Thank you for the shots.

13. Posted April 16, 2020 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

This is the environment on Stagman Ridge (Mt. Adams) where the chipmunk photo was taken. A relatively recent forest fire site (these were taken in 2019; I think the fire was either 2015 or 2012):

14. Posted April 16, 2020 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Good work, Jamie! I really like the contrast of the sapsucker against the fir bark. The horsetails look like a pine forest!