Saturday: Hili dialogue

It’s Saturday, April 11, 2020, and already we’re almost halfway through April. It’s National Cheese Fondue Day (more cultural appropriation, but I prefer the equally appropriated dish of raclette). It’s also “International Louie Louie Day“, celebrating the birthday of the song’s writer, Richard Berry, in 1935. He recorded it in 1955, but the big hit version was by the Kingsmen in 1963. I still remember hearing that song for the first time: I was in an Army cafeteria in Germany and they played it over the loudspeaker. For a long time we all thought the inaudible lyrics were obscene, but they weren’t (they’re here). And here’s the Kingsmen’s version, in case you’re too young to remember:

It’s also National Pet Day, National Poutine Day (in Canada), and Submarine Day, honoring this event:

On March 17, 1898, St. Patrick’s Day, Irish-born engineer John Philip Holland demonstrated a submarine he designed, the Holland VI, for the U.S. Navy Department, off the coast of Staten Island. During the demonstration, the vessel was submerged for 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Finally, because tomorrow is Easter (no, the pews won’t be filled except, perhaps, by lawbreakers in the South), it’s Holy Saturday, the day before Jesus supposedly rose (he was apparently not dead but quiescent).

Google Doodle was supposed to run its series on coronavirus helpers for two weeks, but I don’t see one today.

News of the Day: Dire as usual. The Covid-19 death toll is now 18,763 for the U.S. and 102,774 for the world.  Although the news allows us glimmers of hope about the curve “flattening”, in truth we’re in this for a long time, and I suspect the lockdown will last into the summer. If businesses reopen, expect a resurgence of the pandemic. In other words, we’re screwed. (I hope I’m wrong.)  The Moron in Chief, of course, is getting restive, and wants to open the economy soon.

You can read how hospital chaplains are dealing with the coronavirus in this NYT article.  Finally, also in the NYT but on the lighter side, Rube Goldberg’s granddaughter has started a competition for people to submit complicated devices to help wash their hands.

Stuff that happened on April 11 includes:

They of course issued the “letters patent” that in 1693 founded my undergraduate alma mater, The College of William & Mary—the second oldest college in America (the oldest is Harvard, my other alma mater).

• 1727 – Premiere of Johann Sebastian Bach’s St Matthew Passion BWV 244b at the St. Thomas Church, Leipzig
  • 1945 – World War II: American forces liberate the Buchenwald concentration camp.
  • 1951 – The Stone of Scone, the stone upon which Scottish monarchs were traditionally crowned, is found on the site of the altar of Arbroath Abbey. It had been taken by Scottish nationalist students from its place in Westminster Abbey.

In 1996, the recovered stone, also known as the Stone of Destiny, was moved to Edinburgh Castle, where it stays until the next regent of England is crowned. Here’s the Stone of Scone in place in Edinburgh:

Image: The Print Collector/Print Collector/Getty

• 1957 – United Kingdom agrees to Singaporean self-rule.
  • 1961 – The trial of Adolf Eichmann begins in Jerusalem.
  • 1968 – President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act of 1968, prohibiting discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of housing.
  • 1976 – The Apple I is created.

Built by Steve “Woz” Wozniak, the Apple 1 was Apple’s first product. Here it is, along with an ad for it (check the price!):

PCB of Apple 1 1976, at the Computer History Museum

• 2006 – Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announces Iran’s claim to have successfully enriched uranium.

Notables born on this day were few, and include:

Smart, as you should know, wrote the best poem about a cat ever. “For I will consider my cat Jeoffry” was a 74-line fragment of Smart’s longer poem Jubilate Agno, written when Smart was confined for insanity. As Wikipedia notes:

The poem is chiefly remembered today – especially among cat lovers – for the 74-line section wherein Smart extols the many virtues and habits of his cat, Jeoffry. To this Neil Curry remarks, “They are lines that most people first meet outside the context of the poem as a whole, as they are probably the most anthologized extract in our literature.” Furthermore, Jeoffry himself is the “most famous cat in the whole history of English literature.”

I love that poem, but it’s too long to reproduce in this post. You can read it here.

• 1862 – Charles Evans Hughes, American lawyer and politician, 44th United States Secretary of State (d. 1948)
  • 1913 – Oleg Cassini, French-American fashion designer (d. 2006)
  • 1945 – John Krebs, Baron Krebs, English zoologist and academic

Those who were struck down on April 11 by the Grim Reaper include:

• 1926 – Luther Burbank, American botanist and academic (b. 1849)
  • 1987 – Primo Levi, Italian chemist and author (b. 1919)
  • 1992 – James Brown, American actor and singer (b. 1920)
  • 2017 – J. Geils, American singer and guitarist (b. 1946)

My favorite James Brown song (excuse the patriarchal sentiments) is “It’s a man’s man’s man’s world” (1966). Here’s a very unusual live performance with, of all people, Luciano Pavarotti! I could do without Pavarotti’s Italian, which I can’t even understand.  But The Hardest Working Man in Show Business struts his stuff.

Meanwhile in Dobrzyn, Hili is foraging for supplements in the form of mice. Malgorzata explains:

There is a craze now to buy supplements which strengthen the immunological system. We translated a nice article by Steven Novella about the real worth of these supplements (nil), but Hili didn’t believe it and she is still looking for supplements. However, for Hili, mice are good for everything, including the immunological system.

A: What are you doing?
Hili: I’m looking for strengthening supplements to my diet.
In Polish:
Ja: Co ty robisz?
Hili: Rozglądam się za wzmacniającymi suplementami mojej diety.

Here’s a cartoon sent by Ralph Richardson and drawn by his wife Patti.  He explains:

The cartoon backdrop is there is a glut in chicken wings in the country because March Madness and the NBA and other sports events have been cancelled, leaving the chicken wing industry with a lot of inventory. Homer can save the day!

From Nicole:And from Stash Krod (Trigger warning: cooked duck!):

Check out this hummer: what a looker! But he’s pissed off.

Titania is on the job!

A tweet from reader Simon:

Two tweets from Heather Hastie. I haven’t checked whether the first one’s true:

Tweets from Matthew. I say “REPORT THE MISCREANT!”

Darwin was often prohibited snuff, but he snuck it anyway. One of his children reported that they’d often hear the “clink” of the snuff jar on the mantel being opened and closed.

People really are starting to lose it during the lockdown:

Sound up on this beautiful BBC video of eleven ducklings a-leaping. Honey and Dorothy’s duckling will be doing this soon, and I hope they do it as well as these mandarins.

1. Liz
    Posted April 11, 2020 at 6:51 am | Permalink

Good morning!!!

2. Roger
    Posted April 11, 2020 at 7:05 am | Permalink

“Jesus died for our s sins” is so stupid on so many levels that they literally had to build new levels for it. And that my friends is how the Notre-Dame de Paris was born.

• Liz
      Posted April 11, 2020 at 7:09 am | Permalink

Are you Jewish or Catholic? I can’t tell. Really. . . ?

• Roger
        Posted April 11, 2020 at 7:25 am | Permalink

I got it from Paul Harvey in one of his “and now…. … the rest of the story” segments. Just kidding I made it up but I wonder how many fake stories ol’ Paul Harvey fell for. Probably a lot!

• Liz
          Posted April 11, 2020 at 7:35 am | Permalink

Who is Paul Harvey?

• Randall Schenck
            Posted April 11, 2020 at 7:51 am | Permalink

And now the rest of the story.

He was a guy on the radio for many years…

• Roger
            Posted April 11, 2020 at 7:53 am | Permalink

Some radio show guy who most notably had a talent for running ads as if they were news stories.

• notsecurelyanchored
            Posted April 11, 2020 at 8:38 am | Permalink

A staple of noontime radio at my Grandmother’s house in West Texas in the 1950s, followed by Mary Carter’s Organ melodies.

• Pierluigi Ballabeni
            Posted April 11, 2020 at 10:19 am | Permalink

An evolutionary biologist, somewhere in the UK.

3. Randall Schenck
    Posted April 11, 2020 at 7:19 am | Permalink

Hold a thought on those empty pews. The Kansas Supreme court will be ruling today to determine if the democratic governor keeps them out or not.

4. ThyroidPlanet
    Posted April 11, 2020 at 7:30 am | Permalink

I thought “666.66” was a Woznian-Jobsian gag – a poke at supernaturalism by Woz, met with Jobs’ penchant for figures.

• Posted April 11, 2020 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Woz knew the truth—he created the devil.

5. Saul Sorrell-Till
    Posted April 11, 2020 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Apropos of strange appearances by Pavarotti, I’d like to nominate this gorgeous, somber ballad, from Brian Eno/U2’s Passengers collaboration:

Even as someone who can’t really stand Bono or his voice, I always loved this song.

Big Lungs himself turns up about 2 and a 1/2 mins in. Debates can be had over how successfully he fits into the song itself.

• Saul Sorrell-Till
      Posted April 11, 2020 at 8:32 am | Permalink

…D’oh. Sorry about that.

This is the Pavarotti/Eno/U2 one(hopefully):

Posted April 11, 2020 at 7:43 am | Permalink

“But I would say without question it’s the biggest decision I’ve ever had to make”, said the psychopath.

7. Hempenstein
    Posted April 11, 2020 at 8:39 am | Permalink

When they were both with King Records, James Brown also recorded with The Stanley Brothers. At least, that is, if you count the sound from snapping fingers, since it’s JB et al’s fingers that you hear on the Stanleys’ version of Finger Poppin’ Time – a very improbable song for them to be covering to begin with.

8. notsecurelyanchored
    Posted April 11, 2020 at 8:57 am | Permalink

In the boonies here on the Texas Gulf, we have 14 known cases in a county population of roughly 21,400, no fatalities. For pensioners life not a great deal different than it was before COVID-19. I worry about getting a haircut, and how the Feed My Sheep program will conduct its monthly distribution under new guidelines from Food Bank and with its aging pod of volunteers. Everyone went out and made each other masks, but where will we get gloves?
    And I worry about my neighbors, the salesman who worked on a commission, the woman who cuts my hair, the school kids –I think we might as well give up on the spring semester due to uneven distribution and internet access. I wish there were a way we could just write off the month of April.

9. David Harper
    Posted April 11, 2020 at 9:07 am | Permalink

Fun fact #1 about the Stone of Scone: It’s pronounced “scoon”, unlike the bakery product, which is pronounced to rhyme with “gone” or “cone”, depending on which part of the United Kingdom you come from. There is a handy map showing the variation in pronunciation of the bakery product here: https://brilliantmaps.com/scone-map/

Fun fact #2 about the Stone of Scone: Terry Pratchett’s Discworld novels feature the Scone of Stone, a magical piece of dwarf bread which can tell whether a lie is being told.

• Simon Hayward
      Posted April 11, 2020 at 10:40 am | Permalink

I guess that map explains why my mother and her sister (growing up and living in a 50/50 location) are split on that pronunciation. I thought it was just one more thing to disagree about 🙂

• David Harper
        Posted April 11, 2020 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Then there’s the great crumpet versus pikelet controversy. Small baked teatime products do seem to have a way of dividing Britain.

• Posted April 11, 2020 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Typically I rhyme scone with stone as a mnemonic, because that is what they are as hard as.

10. Simon Hayward
    Posted April 11, 2020 at 10:42 am | Permalink

At last Jesus was only on lockdown for about 36 hours (Fri eve to early Monday). He probably didn’t even need to do a grocery run in that time.

11. Robert Bray
    Posted April 11, 2020 at 10:57 am | Permalink

‘William & Mary. . . the second oldest college in America. . . .’

To be fair, in NORTH America. There were several colleges and universities founded in 16th century Latin America.

12. Posted April 11, 2020 at 11:01 am | Permalink

I saw the Kingsmen at the Kosciusko County Fair in the 1960’s. I think that they modified the lyrics depending on the crowd 🙂

13. James Walker
    Posted April 11, 2020 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Technically, William and Mary were co-monarchs of England, Scotland and Ireland. Great Britain didn’t exist as a kingdom until 1707.