Monday: Readers’ wildlife photos

Let’s finish up Paul Hughes’s collection of photographs from Antarctica (he was a passenger on the first trip on which I lectured). His first batch of photos, published yesterday, can be seen here. Paul’s notes and IDs are indented.

On Half Moon Island we saw another Chinstrap penguin colony (Pygoscelis antarcticus; you can never get bored of these creatures), but also came across Kelp Gulls (Larus dominicanus). This is the only seagull species that breeds in the Antarctic. The adults mainly feed on limpets. Its size range falls between that of the Lesser and Greater Black-backed gulls we see in the UK (image 23).

On Half Moon Island we donned snowshoes and climbed to the top of the island.

Penguin sunset at Yankee Harbor.

1. Posted March 16, 2020 at 7:43 am | Permalink

Excellent photos, thanks!

2. Debra Coplan
    Posted March 16, 2020 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Looks like an amazing trip. Love seeing those penguins! Thanks for the post.

3. EdwardM
    Posted March 16, 2020 at 9:59 am | Permalink

That’s not a plant on that algae covered rock is it? If it is, do you know what it is? I didn’t think there were any land plants on Antarctica.

• EdwardM
      Posted March 16, 2020 at 10:13 am | Permalink

I didn’t realize i could zoom in. I see it’s not a plant, it’s lichen.

What eats it? No caribou there.

• GBJames
      Posted March 16, 2020 at 10:15 am | Permalink

I’m liking’ that lichen.

4. Jonathan Wallace
    Posted March 16, 2020 at 10:02 am | Permalink

I know this is a readers wildlife photos post but that picture of the snowshoes and ski poles is terrific!

• phoffman56
      Posted March 16, 2020 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Yes, and the terrific photo down to the boat indicates they had a good solid slog up to there and back.

Maybe already mentioned earlier, but my best magnification still was not so readable: The ship was Hurtigruten also, and I think the very new one Jerry was on first, MS Amundsen?

The contrast with the latest gargantuan cruises, e.g. the one dumping passengers un-Corona-tested at Miami I think, the 4,000 passengers versus about 200, is striking. You’d never catch me on one of the big ones. I’d sooner go to prison I think.

Posted March 16, 2020 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Many of us probably will never make it, except vicariously, so thanks for the wonderful images and report.

Posted March 16, 2020 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Great, great photos…and that last sunset, just amazing. Sad that it’s the last batch.:(