Travel note to readers

As I noted several times in the last few days, I’m off to Paris tomorrow for eight days of fun and, of course, eating. This means three things:

1.) Posting will be lighter than usual. Matthew has kindly agreed to put up the Hili dialogues every day until my return. I will post as I have time.

2.) Please do not email me when I’m gone with contributions of items to read, or with wildlife photos. Although I appreciate these, they’re prone to getting lost or forgotten when I’m traveling. Please hold onto them until I return, when I’ll be glad to get them.

3.) The good news is that all restaurant reservations have been made, including some of my favorite bistros as well as some places new to me (eight restaurants in total). That means we’ll have some good food photos to get you salivating.  Even better news is that it’s winter, which is Hearty Food Season in Paris, so I look forward to game and cassoulets. I also have a ticket for the last day of the Leonardo da Vinci exhibit in the Louvre, which is the day I arrive. I will visit the exhibit after consuming a large lunch at one of my favorite bistros, Chez Denise*. Let’s hope I remain awake!

Professor Ceiling Cat (Emeritus) on the move! Photo: Getty images

*I already know what I’ll be eating there: onglet de boeuf (skirt steak), cooked rare (with a mountain of frites), preceded by a salade frisée (you need to start light here), a bottle of the house Brouilly (it comes in liters, and you pay just for the proportion you drink), and, to finish, the baba au rhum: a luscious spongecake made with rum and topped with whipped cream. It comes with a bottle of rum on the side in case you need to douse it more.

Posted February 22, 2020 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Bon voyage!

2. yazikus
    Posted February 22, 2020 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Safe travels, PCC(E)! I look forward to your travel posts always.

3. Kevin
    Posted February 22, 2020 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Sounds amazing! Enjoy

4. Mark Kautzmann
    Posted February 22, 2020 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

I figure you already have (almost) all of your meals planned, but if there is some way to squeeze in just one more, here’s a suggestion. If you like a really good cassoulet, and the cuisine of the Dordogne, try here. Just ignore the fact that canard is various preparations is on the menu. http://domainedolleac.com/

5. Avis James
    Posted February 22, 2020 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Au revoir!

6. Posted February 22, 2020 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing my post on Chez Denise! I just got back from Paris myself and had another great meal there. The baba au rhum was practically coma-inducing. And you’ve gotta try the choux farcis (stuffed cabbage). My friends and I devoured it 🙂

• Posted February 22, 2020 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Yes, I’ve had the stuffed cabbage there and it was great but somehow I always come back to the onglet. It’s even better than the more expensive cote de boeuf.

I hope that place never closes, at least while I’m alive. Good post you made!

Posted February 22, 2020 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

… and, to finish, the baba au rhum: a luscious spongecake made with rum and topped with whipped cream.

Don’t let ’em try to pass off any Cool Whip on ya, boss.

As the limerick (and Preston Sturges film title) has it, “the French, they are a funny race …”

8. BJ
    Posted February 22, 2020 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Oh dear. This means more posts of food that will make me insanely jealous.

Have a great trip!

Posted February 22, 2020 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Have a nice and relaxing trip with good eats and sightseeing. Hopefully your bistro-reviews will be positive. I remember last trip you wrote about an oldie but goodie that wasn’t as goodie anymore. Either way, guaranteed you’ll be eating and drinking better than I will next week. 🙂

10. Steve Pollard
    Posted February 22, 2020 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

My son is a sous-chef at a Paris restaurant. I doubt you’ll be going there, but have fun and give your chosen destinations as much publicity as you can. What with the Gilets Jaunes demos and then the long series of transport strikes, Parisian restaurants deserve all the good reviews they can get.

11. Posted February 22, 2020 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Eight days and eight restaurants. No fasting day in Paris, huh?

Bon voyage, PCC.

12. darrelle
    Posted February 22, 2020 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful itinerary. Some day I too shall dine a Chez Denise.

13. boggy
    Posted February 23, 2020 at 5:42 am | Permalink

I hope you have some free time between meals to visit the tomb of Oscar Wilde in the cimetiere de Pere Lachaise. It has been encased in glass owing to vandalism mainly by women leaving graffiti on Epstein’s statue The Angel of Death.Unfortunately it now acts as a receptacle for used Metro tickets and megots (cigarette ends).
    Also try to visit the statue of Chevalier de la Barre, in Square Nadar on Montmartre. He was executed in 1766 for refusing to show respect to an ecclesiatical procession in Abbeville. His death was a landmark in the development of secularity in France.

14. Posted February 26, 2020 at 12:06 pm | Permalink