Duck rescue at Home Depot

Reader Michael sent a link to this short video of a rescue of a mother mallard and her eight ducklings at a Home Depot. The YouTube notes from Johnston Creative say this:

Note: the bread was whole grain organic and safe for birds and the fence was fixed! On Sunday at Home Depot my wife and I encountered a group of people and employees standing around a family of lost ducks at the entry of the business. Animal Control was called, people suggested ideas, but the situation worsened as temps climbed to over 100 degrees and mama duck grew agitated. Concerned, my wife Rebecca decided we were going to “walk the ducks” to a nearby park. It wasn’t until I got home and watched the videos I’d captured that I realized the magnitude of what had transpired, and the amazing leadership Mama Duck, my wife, and some kind souls had just demonstrated.

I rescued a mom and eight (as I recall) last year this way by walking them to the pond with the help of a couple of students. DO NOT BOX DUCKS if you have the walking alternative, preferably with at least two people to herd them. And take them to water, not just a grassy park. I’m not sure that the mallards in this video went to a pond.

1. James Walker
    Posted February 19, 2020 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

The mom was remarkably calm. There are many duck families on the campus where I work and the parents get *very* agitated and aggressive if you come anywhere near the kids.

2. Posted February 19, 2020 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

You can see at the end that they have been guided to a lovely pond! It looks like a duckie Paradise!

Posted February 19, 2020 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

I wish they’d shown them swimming off into the sunset.

• Posted February 19, 2020 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Ah, I missed the glimpse of the pond! I feel better now.

Posted February 19, 2020 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Who dat tickling the ivories on the soundtrack?

Sounds kinda Bud Powell-ish.

4. jedijan
    Posted February 19, 2020 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Hate to say it but these birds are creatures of habit and the mother abd troop will be back next year. Same used to happen every year at the Arts Centre (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia) where they would show up at the fountain. Every year they were guided back to the botanical gardens pond, crossing very busy multi-laned St. Kilda road, often by Police.

• Posted February 19, 2020 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

-grin- there are ducks in Eltham/Research too. Locals just stop and let them cross. πŸ™‚

• jedijan
        Posted February 19, 2020 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

People, if no Police were present, had to stop the traffic while the ducks crossed each year. Don’t understand why Mother Duck pulled this stunt year aftee year, possibly training up the brood to do the same. Amazing they all survived. πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†

• Posted February 19, 2020 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

I could say something about the IQ of ducks, but perhaps it’s just that generations of /these/ ducks have learned to trust humans. -sigh- there goes that question of IQ again. 😦

5. eric
    Posted February 19, 2020 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Well that was different. When your description said “walk the ducks”, the image I had in my mind was someone walking in front of them, dropping bread or some other tasty treat so that the birds followed the human. Didn’t expect to see humans ‘pushing’ the birds via flanking. Still, I have to admit the way they did it is better if the secondary goal is to not let wild ducks get too used to humans

6. Posted February 19, 2020 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Kind people doing good things. πŸ™‚

7. Liz
    Posted February 19, 2020 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

I loved the full seven minutes. It was all delightfully captivating. Were those gadwalls or mallards.

I think there was a quote from Jobs at the end?

• Liz
      Posted February 19, 2020 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

35:11 Job – I just looked it up. That’s a bible verse. Still a really neat video. I like it anyway.

8. boudiccadylis
    Posted February 20, 2020 at 9:05 am | Permalink

We have Canadian geese and goslings hold up, actually stop traffic on a 5 lane without human assistance. Now we’re also seeing turkeys doing similar. Amazing how we humans are so accommodating when we’re also so avaricious

9. Josh Lincoln
    Posted February 20, 2020 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Lovely video, thanks for posting it. The pond does look like a great spot for them. Nice to see humans actually having a positive impact on this planet (although without us on this planet they would not have had any of these issues to dodge).