Photos of readers

I’ve primed the pump for you thanks to reader Daniel Sharp, so by all means send me in photos of yourself (maximum two) doing something interesting or characteristic, and a short paragraph of explanation.

Here’s Mr. Sharp, whose words are indented

I’m a student at the University of Edinburgh (English Literature and History) and president of the university’s Atheist, Humanist, and Secularist Society- and a longtime WEIT reader (and very occasional commenter)! I also do a lot of writing and I review books for Areo (in which capacity I’ve had generous praise from the authors of some such books, including Richard Dawkins, A.C. Grayling, and Salman Rushdie). So with that in mind I’ve picked a picture of me in my fancy blue velvet jacket next to my books in my nice but chilly Edinburgh flat. Life of a student- sorry for the background of my clothes hanging up to dry! And the second is either me being shocked by the irreligiousness of Faith Versus Fact or me reverentially staring at it.

I’ve also included an extra four photos of a first edition of Darwin’s ‘Origin’ which I got to view at the university’s collections. Feel free not to post these, but I thought you’d appreciate them anyway.

I did appreciate them and couldn’t resist posting all of them! Only 1250 copies of this edition were printed, and, based on its condition, Professor Ceiling Cat (Emeritus) estimates that this book is worth around a quarter of a million dollars.

And the immortal last paragraph:

1. GBJames
    Posted February 4, 2020 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Nice pics!

2. Randall Schenck
    Posted February 4, 2020 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Very nice. We need more students, however when will they get the time.

Posted February 4, 2020 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Praise can’t come much more heavy-duty than that, Daniel. Keep up the good work!

4. mikeb
    Posted February 4, 2020 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Without that egregious “by the Creator” added to the end. Nice.

• Posted February 4, 2020 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Yes. I so wish Darwin had not “truckled to public opinion”.

• EB
      Posted February 4, 2020 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

I’m not a fan of that Bacon quote though, opposite the title page.

Posted February 4, 2020 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

I find it difficult to read when I’m cold; hopefully you have a better constitution than I!
    Good job on the praise for your reviews.

I’m glad PCC(E) posted your Origin photos; gives me goosebumps.

6. Posted February 4, 2020 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

It was great seeing that first edition book! What’s the white loopy thingie?

• mikeb
      Posted February 4, 2020 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

A rosary? lol

• Mark R.
      Posted February 4, 2020 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

I think it’s the tie used to close the bag wherein the treasure resides.

But the rosary joke is funny 😄

• Posted February 4, 2020 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

I think it’s a way to keep the book open to a specific page without damaging it.

• Dominic
      Posted February 5, 2020 at 5:26 am | Permalink

A ‘book snake’ – they have environmentally bad lead beads. Reminds me my mother put lead weights in our curtains…

7. Roger
    Posted February 4, 2020 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

How many moneys does he save on clothes drying costs though. he could probably buy facebook by now.

8. JAMES A WALKER
    Posted February 4, 2020 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Cool pix of the first edition!

I spent four chilly months in Edinburgh during my 2006 sabbatical – though I found that bundling myself up and reading was a good way to pass the evenings (I didn’t have internet in my flat and I wasn’t going to pay for a TV license).

9. Posted February 4, 2020 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

I know I am skating on thin ice here, but I feel about Origin like the religious do about the bible, but for better reasons. It transformed our understanding of the world, and our place in it. I would love to touch that first edition (is that allowed?), and read Chapter XIV from it. I guess we all want totems.

Posted February 4, 2020 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

My kind of guy.

11. Posted February 5, 2020 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Good to have a young person among us. And the pix of Darwin are perfect, just the right pages.

12. Posted February 7, 2020 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Wonderful stuff – and leading up to Darwin Day, too!

13. Andrea Kenner
    Posted February 9, 2020 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Darwin’s writing is quite engaging and easy to read!