Just a few notes to refresh people about policies at this website:
- If you’re a first-time poster, I have to approve your initial comment. This won’t necessarily be immediate, as it depends on my checking email. After that, posting is automatic.
- If you have your own website, by all means give it in your comment, but not if it’s anonymous. (By this I mean don’t link to it through your name. It’s okay to link to anonymous websites in your text if they have something interesting to say.) I don’t approve of people running “blogs” anonymously, so if you do so, please don’t link to your site.
- If you are religious, and profess that strongly in your post, it’s often my habit to ask you for evidence for what you believe. (After all, I wrote a book on the evidence for evolution.) Do not be offended at this; simply give a short list of the reasons why you’re so certain there’s a god. And be prepared for others to dispute the evidence.
- Please do not tell me how to run the site. That is, comments about “too many cats,” “too many boots,” “not enough biology,” “too much religion,” etc., are not welcome. If you don’t like the mix of posts, simply go elsewhere. By all means take issue with what I say, but don’t diss the mix.
- Please try to refrain from insulting other posters, no matter how misguided you think they are. I don’t like name-calling, as it reduces whatever class this site has. And while I don’t always catch it, I often send private emails to people asking them to refrain from personal insults, or reprove them on the site.
- If you find something that you think would interest readers, by all means send it to me. My email is easily available via elementary Googling. I can’t, of course, promise to use everything, but I do look at what people send me.
- Sometimes I miss posts, particularly ones that contain links, since those are held by WordPress. I don’t always read every email that accompanies a post, so posts sometimes slip through the cracks. Please don’t assume that your post was trashed, as I rarely do that (except from those sent by religious loonies or well known trolls). You might send me an email if you’re concerned.
- Be judicious about posting videos and very long comments. I like good discussion, but essays are not on, particularly if you have your own website where you can post it. Embedded videos are okay, but please think before posting: do they add to the discussion?
- UPDATE: It’s a website, not a “blog”!
- UPDATE 2: Due to a popular uprising, I’ve rescinded Rule 2. For the record, though, I usually don’t approve of pseudonymous or anonymous blogging, as I think it reduces accountability for one’s views.
Finally, thanks for reading and contributing!