Caturday felid: Pallas cat

The Pallas cat (Otocolobus manul), or manul, is hands down my favorite wild felid.  It’s about the size of a domestic cat but much stockier, is fluffy with a thick tail, has short ears, and is unbearably cute. Here’s one:

I love the racing stripes below the eyes.

Their thick fur and short ears tell you that manuls have to deal with extreme cold. Because they protrude, ears are heat radiators: that’s why you need earmuffs in winter. To conserve heat, natural selection has produced smaller ears in species that live in cold areas.  (This regularity is called “Allen’s Rule” by evolutionists.)  Manuls live in fact on the steppes of Asia; here’s their range (from Wikipedia):

You can see pictures of their natural habitat, and some photos of wild manuls in Mongolia, at the Pallas’ Cat Project.  Since their habitat is remote and the cats are solitary and shy, we don’t know a lot about their biology.  They live underground (in snow caves and abandoned animal burrows or in crevasses in the rocks) and are crepuscular or nocturnal hunters, eating small rodents, birds, and insectivores.  Manuls used to be hunted for their beautiful fur, but are now protected. Several zoos have specimens.  My favorite natural history book, Wild Cats of the World, by C. A. Guggisberg, says this about manuls:

According to Stroganov, Pallas’s cat remains wild and vicious in captivity, yet a specimen from Ladak kept by Colonel A. E. Ward became very tame, even though it always disliked strangers.  There have been reports of Pallas’s cat being kept in a semi-domestic state in various parts of Central Asia. “They differ in many ways from the domestic cat,” Pallas wrote, “but they like to mate with him.”

The cat is named for the German naturalist Peter Simon Pallas (1741-1811), who first described the species in 1776.

Of course, there’s an excuse for this information, and here it is: on May 28 four manuls were born at the Wildlife Heritage Foundation in the U.K., an organization devoted to saving wild felids.  I’ve been collecting videos of these manul kittens as they’ve been put up, and here are the first three.  Cheesy music alert  (Herb Alpert!): you may want to turn down the sound for the last two videos.

5 weeks:

6 weeks:

7 weeks:

If you want more videos, the Wildlife Heritage Foundation has its own YouTube channel.

1. articulett
    Posted July 24, 2010 at 6:14 am | Permalink

OMG– those are the cutest cats in the world!

I love those growly hissy babies!!!

2. Juha Savolainen
    Posted July 24, 2010 at 6:51 am | Permalink

Want teh cats!…:) Oops, cannot have them, they are wild….But suppose one Pallas cat impregnates an ordinary housecat, would the kittens be counted as Pallas cats or housecats? And are they likely to be temperamentally closer to Pallas cats or housecats?

• Posted July 24, 2010 at 7:26 am | Permalink

First, Pallas’ cats would have to be interfecund with housecats to allow that. I know this is a possibility between housecats and Eurasian wild cats, as (I think) the two are today often considered part of the same species, Felis silvestris. But Pallas’ cat is another, less close species, and even considered now to be in different genus.

3. articulett
    Posted July 24, 2010 at 6:55 am | Permalink

I wonder if they can produce hybrids with housecats? Probably not…

I saw this hidden kitty photo that I thought was pretty good and a nice addition to “caturday”: http://www.buzzfeed.com/caturday/there-is-a-cat-in-this-photo-ji8

4. Posted July 24, 2010 at 7:18 am | Permalink

OMG, the concentration of cute!

=^.^=

• articulett
      Posted July 24, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Google images has been updated… try google images “manul” for more extreme cuteness.

5. Posted July 24, 2010 at 8:26 am | Permalink

Adorable kittehs.

Small pedant question:

Does this mean that they _eat_ insectivores (which would include some of the previously mentioned birds and rodents, not to mention amphibians and fish), or that they _are_ insectivores?

• whyevolutionistrue
      Posted July 24, 2010 at 8:37 am | Permalink

By “insectivores” I didn’t mean things that eat insects, but members of the now-obsolete order of mammals Insectivora, which used to include shrews, moles, and hedgehogs.

• Posted July 24, 2010 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Thanks for the educational information!

6. Posted July 24, 2010 at 9:37 am | Permalink

The Denver Zoo has a couple of Pallas Cats. I got to see them run around after a feeding when I visited the zoo, when I went out there for Evolution a few years ago.

7. Tyro
    Posted July 24, 2010 at 9:51 am | Permalink

I’m watching some of the other videos from the WildlifeHeritage foundation and saw this leopard being fed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU-7p5exv4o

A slab of meat was hung from the top of the enclosure so the leopard would jump for it and try to tear it down. Pretty impressive! Is that to keep the cats stimulated and try to replicate some aspects of the native life – make them “hunt” their food?

It reminded me of how the crocs were fed at Steve Irwin’s croc park, where humans would act as minor threats and the bull crocs could charge and drive out the competitors. A kind of play which they said made the crocs feel more content and active.

8. Torbjörn Larsson, OM
    Posted July 24, 2010 at 9:52 am | Permalink

A devastating concentration of cute.

are crepuscular or nocturnal hunters,

Hee hee, he said “crepuscular”. What do you know, crepuscular rays that I did know about beforehand is connected with twilight. The things you learn.

9. Posted July 24, 2010 at 10:28 am | Permalink

purrrrrr

10. Naturalistbiologist
    Posted July 24, 2010 at 11:42 am | Permalink

They look like a primate-cat mix. When I look at the first picture, it sort of looks like emperor tamarins. Perhaps it is just the ‘moustache’ although the big eyes and small ears certainly contribute.

• articulett
      Posted July 24, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

I thought so too… I thought of marmosets– but I think tamrin is even better.

• Dominic
      Posted July 26, 2010 at 6:32 am | Permalink

Presume this is why they are called Oto-colobus – the “ears are short”?

The IUCN pages say “While retaining the monotypic genus Otocolobus, Eizirik et al. (submitted) placed it with the genera Felis and Prionailurus in the tribe Felini because of a close phylogenetic relationship. O’Brien and Johnson (2007) estimated that Otocolobus manul diverged from a leopard cat ancestor approximately 5.19 million years ago.”

11. Posted July 24, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

I suddenly realized what I found odd about these creatures: their pupils are round! Small cats with big-cat eyes.

I see their taxonomy has a complicated history, having been twice assigned and removed from the Felis genus (small cats).

• M'thew
      Posted July 26, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Seeing that animal, especially the eyes, I suddenly had the idea that a domestic cat had mated with a snow owl. Great looking cat, even when I’m more partial to caracals.

12. Hempenstein
    Posted July 24, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

There’s a ‘Look But Don’t Touch’ expression on the adult specimen that seems compatible with Stroganov’s assessment and suggests that it would not appreciate being regarded or treated as cute. Cool, surely, but not cute!

• articulett
      Posted July 24, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Agreed. But those babies… (!)

13. Posted November 26, 2010 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Saw some, possibly hybirdized slightly in Iraq, still, differed from asiatic/arabian cat which is slightly built with short hair.
    Have also seen specimens of Reed cat, impressive

14. Posted October 19, 2013 at 5:03 am | Permalink

Reblogged this on Barcodefly.com/登七小北 and commented:
    OMG!這種貓太可愛了!