Readers’ wildlife photos

Again I ask you to send in your wildlife photos, as there’s always an aching need for them.

Today’s photos are of landscapes, all taken by reader Mark Jones from Old Blighty. I’ve indented his notes:

In the absence of any insect or animal photos I’m sending you some English Landscapes.

The first three are of the Sussex Weald, near my home. They are all taken on the network of paths called Public Footpaths, which criss-cross the countryside and allow the general public the right of way across otherwise private land.

The next two show the contrasting landscapes of the South and North Downs. Rolling hills define the South Downs, whilst the North Downs tend more to forest and moorland.

And the final one is from Northumberland, where my daughter now lives. It shows Sycamore Gap, a feature on Hadrian’s Wall on an outcrop of igneous rock called the Whin Sill. Filmgoers may recognise it as a location from the Kevin Costner film “Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves”. My family are on the ridge looking down.

1. Randall Schenck
    Posted October 2, 2020 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Some really nice pictures. I spent a little over three years in England many years ago. One of the prettiest places to see.

2. David Harper
    Posted October 2, 2020 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Britain is well supplied with thousands of miles of public footpaths. These are all marked on the maps published by the Ordnance Survey, Britain’s national mapping agency.

The classic Ordnance Survey maps for walkers are the 1:50000 (2 cm on the map is 1 km on the ground) LandRanger series, which cover the entire country in a series of two hundred 40×40 km squares. There’s also the more detailed Explorer series at 1:25000 scale.

The Ordnance Survey makes its 1:50000 and 1:25000 mapping of the entire UK available in digital format with an app for smartphones and tablets plus access via a web portal, all for just £24 a year, which is less than the price of four printed maps.

I’ve loved Ordnance Survey maps ever since I was taught how to read them in geography class in school.

3. Rik G
    Posted October 2, 2020 at 8:21 am | Permalink

Gorgeous!

4. Posted October 2, 2020 at 9:32 am | Permalink

These are splendid bucolic photos, Mark. Wish I were there! Thanks.

Posted October 2, 2020 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Wonderful compositions!
    You’ve mastered the art.

6. Charles A Sawicki
    Posted October 2, 2020 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Idyllic landscapes!

7. Steve Pollard
    Posted October 2, 2020 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Whereabouts in the Weald, Mark? I live just over the border in West Kent.

• Mark Jones
      Posted October 2, 2020 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Hi Steve, we’re the other side, nearer Hampshire than Kent. Wondering about the border going up between Sussex and Kent!

• Steve Pollard
        Posted October 3, 2020 at 11:24 am | Permalink

I infiltrate across the border several times a week! Have to watch out for the border guards on the way to the Ashdown Forest though.

• jezgrove
          Posted October 3, 2020 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Yes, better make sure your passport is up-to-date.

8. John Dentinger
    Posted October 2, 2020 at 11:06 am | Permalink

I looked and looked, but I couldn’t spot him–where’s Hazel?

9. Jim batterson
    Posted October 2, 2020 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Thank you…Beautiful pictures mark. I enjoyed the wonderful public footpaths (a surprise to me) on several trips to england in the 80’s and 90’s…they are a great gift for all people to have access to the beauty of the country.

10. scruffycookie
    Posted October 2, 2020 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Absolutely beautiful! Thank you!!

11. Joe Routon
    Posted October 2, 2020 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Beautiful photos of beautiful country.

12. Posted October 2, 2020 at 11:52 am | Permalink

All beautiful, but that 3rd one could be on a wall.

13. Diana MacPherson
    Posted October 2, 2020 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Lovely photos….good ol’ Roman brick work.

14. A C Harper
    Posted October 2, 2020 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Most impressed by the photso, particularly how they had been given a similar ‘look and feel’.

Posted October 2, 2020 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Beautiful and peaceful…I was looking for a Hobbit Hole! 🙂

16. davelenny
    Posted October 2, 2020 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Yesterday’s photos were wonderful and now, more terrific photos. These landscapes are balm for the eyes and heart.

17. Mark Jones
    Posted October 2, 2020 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the kind comments!

18. Gary Radice
    Posted October 2, 2020 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Lovely and evocative photos. They make me want to go for a ramble. Are they HDR?

• Mark Jones
      Posted October 3, 2020 at 2:03 am | Permalink

Hi Gary, none of these are HDR except the South Downs shot, and that is only accidentally HDR because I did a pano merge. I shoot in RAW so HDR is not usually needed.

19. Hempenstein
    Posted October 3, 2020 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Lovely! The North Downs trees give the impression of hemlock.