Readers’ wildlife photos

We have a seriously low gas tank in the photo juggernaut, so please send in your good wildlife photos.  We’ve already almost done away with the “photos of readers” feature due to a lack of participation, and I’d hate to ditch this feature, too. Fortunately, Joe Routon sent some photos of H. sapiens and their creations in their native environment. Joe’s captions are indented. (Remember, our own species is also “wildlife”.)

This is my photo of the Famine Monument in Ireland that commemorates the 400 starving people who died on a forced march during the great potato famine in 1849. Over 1,000,000 people died as a result of the famine.

In 1847, when American Indians heard about the struggle, the Choctaw Indian Nation, who, 16 years earlier had suffered on the Trail of Tears (a forced march during which 4,000 Indians died), gathered $170 (almost $5,000 in today’s money) and sent it to Ireland. The Irish didn’t forget. A few months ago, after 170 years, they heard about the extreme suffering of the Navajo and Hopi Indians during the coronavirus pandemic, and they raised more than $3.6 million for the Indians’ relief fund.

My photo of an early morning hot air balloon ride over Cappadocia, Turkey.
I made this photo of the Ponte Vecchio from a window in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence, Italy. The sculptured bust is Alexander the Great.

Here is my photo of a camel train in the Sahara Desert in Morocco.
When in Europe, it’s common to encounter brides and grooms. Unable to restrain myself, I almost always ask if I can take a few photos. Here’s one that I made of newlyweds in Pisa, Italy.

1. ThyroidPlanet
    Posted September 8, 2020 at 8:13 am | Permalink

The tower flagpole follows the direction of gravity.

Posted September 8, 2020 at 9:35 am | Permalink

All fine shots. The on of Alexander the Great has a very painterly look. How was this adjusted?

• Joe Routon
      Posted September 8, 2020 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Rick, I made that photo several years ago and applied some Photoshop to give it an Old Masters’ feel. I’m a professional painter, and I like to give some of my photos a painterly look.

Posted September 8, 2020 at 10:43 am | Permalink

If your paintings are anything like your photography, I’m sure they are compelling.

• merilee
          Posted September 8, 2020 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Would love to see your paintings, Joe!

• Posted September 8, 2020 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I noticed that! I was wondering if I was seeing it right or not.

3. merilee
    Posted September 8, 2020 at 9:58 am | Permalink

What a wide variety of wonderful shots. Thanks, Joe! Particularly like the Ponte Vec hio one, having studied for 6 months a Firenze right before the big flood of ‘66.

4. Debra Coplan
    Posted September 8, 2020 at 10:28 am | Permalink

I love your photos and love starting the day after seeing them. They have such a wonderful brilliance.
    Thank you for sharing.

Posted September 8, 2020 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Cool camel caravan pic, Joe.

6. prinzler
    Posted September 8, 2020 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

You’re gonna get much better leverage if you hold up the tower at its top, not at the bottom.

• Ken Kukec
      Posted September 8, 2020 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Bet you didn’t even need to drop spheres of different masses from the top of the tower to figure that one out, either.

7. Posted September 8, 2020 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

I sent in some pictures a couple of weeks ago!
    But I have some better ones to add….

These are vibrant photos! 😎

8. Posted September 9, 2020 at 4:09 am | Permalink

Great pics. You must have racked up a lot of frequent flier points.
    Hopefully you’ll get to use them….. eventually. 🙂
    Lovely photos though.