Jesus ‘n’ Mo ‘n’ cognition

I’m back from my checkup, and all appears to be well, though I have to schedule that dreaded procedure, the c———y, in which you get reamed. (My last one was ten years ago.)  On a lighter note, we have today’s Jesus and Mo strip, called “given“. And once again Jesus and Mo beg the question (in the correct sense of that phrase).

1. GBJames
    Posted August 19, 2020 at 10:20 am | Permalink

It ain’t the procedure, it’s the damned prep!

• Terry Sheldon
      Posted August 19, 2020 at 11:23 am | Permalink

You nailed it!

• Laurance
      Posted August 19, 2020 at 11:31 am | Permalink

My Sweetheart always refers to this procedure as “an assoscope”. (Or maybe I should spell it “assascope”…) He grumbles irritably, “It’s the Off Ramp, not the On Ramp…”

• George Atkinson
      Posted August 19, 2020 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Endured twice, now a member of the colonoscopy refuseniks.
      Our motto: We are not anused.

• GBJames
        Posted August 19, 2020 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

My mother got colon cancer at age 88. She might have died from it but got lucky with a benign tumor and lived to 95. I’ve endured several of them now. Polyps have been found from time to time. I prefer the procedure to the surgery she had to have so I do it when I get the call.

2. Laurance
    Posted August 19, 2020 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Thank you for using “beg the question” correctly! I appreciate that! I’m so used to people misusing it to mean “raise the question” that I flinch even when I see the term used correctly.

• Posted August 19, 2020 at 10:45 am | Permalink

I would say “forces the question to be raised” not “raises the question”. “Begs” doesn’t mean “raises”. The “forces the question to be raised” is reached via standard word and phrase meanings. It’s fine with me if some want to say that the phrase also refers to a fallacy but they can’t take away the literal interpretation of the phrase.

• Posted August 19, 2020 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

You were taught rhetoric?! 🙂

3. Janet
    Posted August 19, 2020 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Not to be too indelicate here, but FYI my Internist recommended that I skip the dreaded c-procedure (which does involve risks that increase as you age) and use the Cologuard test instead, where you just send in a sample. It is apparently very reliable…

• W.T. Effingham
      Posted August 19, 2020 at 11:34 am | Permalink

It is apparently very reliable…UNLESS it “does for you” as it did my father and gives you a false positive (rates of @ 6% for folks aged 50-65 and 13%+ for those who are 65 and better. While the “convenient” test raised enough concern for his doctors to follow up with a thorough colonoscopy, it turned out to be a false alarm. He seems to be in good health for a ninety -two year old. By the way,when he inquired about follow -up testing in future, he was brusquely informed us is too old to bother with this particular portion of care anymore (That’s what he gets for busting his tail from his early teens through his service in the Korean war and a successful engineering career into his late sixties. His Medi-gap premiums are just a mere $540.00 USD per month.)

• Posted August 19, 2020 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

I just got the 60th birthday present from the NHS – a colon cancer screening test in the post! For lovers of Tony Hancock, “It might be a smear to you mate, but it’s life or death to some poor bloke!”

4. ThyroidPlanet
    Posted August 19, 2020 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Should be a panel next to the textbook definition of “question begging”

5. Mark Joseph
    Posted August 19, 2020 at 10:45 am | Permalink

That is awesome!

People’s “faith in god” is really no more than their rationalizations for what they’ve been taught to believe.

I hope someone forwards this cartoon to William Lane Craig.

• keith
      Posted August 19, 2020 at 11:16 am | Permalink

You should do it just to give us the chance to judge how close he comes to the Trumpian gold standard for solipsism.

6. Posted August 19, 2020 at 11:10 am | Permalink

And how do we know that “human cognition is extremely unreliable”? Because of the results of studies done by humans with extremely unreliable cognition.

• keith
      Posted August 19, 2020 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Knowing of that weakness led us to the development of scientific methodology. It works better than anything else for ‘truth’ because of its relative objectivity especially vis a vis personal intuition.

Posted August 19, 2020 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

There is a sense in which we must rely on our cognition. It is a foundational belief that rationality is possible. Otherwise no effort to understand the world is possible. The crucial element in making this work is to avoid fallacies and test conclusions against the world as it is. Of course, it helps if you are also a realist.

8. Posted August 19, 2020 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I liked the fentynal they used to put me under.

9. James Walker
    Posted August 19, 2020 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

The problem with the dreaded c-word isn’t the procedure itself (I’ve had several), it’s the prep!

10. Posted August 20, 2020 at 12:01 am | Permalink

You’ll LOVE the c-spy if they give you a general anesthetic. ALWAYS go for the anesthetic – it is an area of consciousness we rarely experience in life unfortunately – half way to psychedelia.
    D.A., NYC

11. Posted August 20, 2020 at 2:02 am | Permalink

God in, god out…
    Imprinted thus like Lorenz’s geese they follow to death brings them to their senses…