Reader’s “wildlife” photos

The good news is that I found my keys.  They were in the freezer at home; I somehow put them there when I arrived home yesterday and took some stuff out of the freezer to defrost. It’s a great relief to have them back! I should get one of those devices that fastens your keys to your belt, but they’re too geeky.

Today’s “wildlife” falls into the category of H. sapiens photos, and were taken by Joe Routon, who does “street photography” around the world (photos like these now qualify as “wildlife.” They’re great photos (I love street photography), and I’ll put Joe’s captions in indents:

Here are a bride and groom who had just gotten married at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, France, several years ago. They were at a nearby café, taking a break with some coffee, after the ceremony.
In Central Park in New York City, I happened to see these young Asian tourists who were taking a photo of a genuine American hot dog.

This is a barber who was giving free haircuts to the homeless.

This is what happens when you fall asleep in the shopping cart at Walmart. (NOTE: I got the mother’s permission before I made the photo.)
A skateboarder in Philadelphia.
While roaming the streets in Brooklyn, I happened to see this young lady at a bar, seated beside a window.

1. Julian Cattaneo
    Posted August 13, 2020 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Wonderful pics!

2. ThyroidPlanet
    Posted August 13, 2020 at 8:24 am | Permalink

“Freezer”

Awesome!

“ I should get one of those devices that fastens your keys to your belt”

You need to leave a copy of the keys in the freezer.

• ThyroidPlanet
      Posted August 13, 2020 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Oh also

Stunning photography!

• Posted August 13, 2020 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Or make a mold of the keys, then make FROZEN copies of them and leave them in the freezer for…okay, well, maybe that’s not a good idea.

Posted August 13, 2020 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

No put the keys in jello.

• Posted August 13, 2020 at 10:40 am | Permalink

I guess I’m a geek, but I can always find my keys.

Love the photos!

Posted August 13, 2020 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

My dad has had one of those devices for years and then he puts his keys in his pocket. Still, with all that he still managed to flush them down the toilet.

• Posted August 13, 2020 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Waterless composting toilets FTW.

Posted August 13, 2020 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Yeah my dad’s keys with his Tile tracker and his smiley face keychain he got from me when I was 11 is probably in Lake Ontario now.

Posted August 13, 2020 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

The fish in Lake Ontario probably notice shiny things like that. Maybe it’s gone through the guts of a very large perch.

• Posted August 13, 2020 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Ditto here. Another advantage of keys-on-a-chain-on-the-belt – I am no longer inadvertently setting off the car alarm with my keys in a pocket 🙂

Posted August 13, 2020 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Dig the groom’s tux and sneakers look, man.

• merilee
      Posted August 13, 2020 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Outta sight!
      Great photos,all.

Posted August 13, 2020 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

These are one of the lessons I take from men – they are not going to ruin their feet and be uncomfortable. Smart.

• Ken Kukec
        Posted August 13, 2020 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Plus, you can get some use out of sneakers post-wedding.

Unless one runs in some rarefied circles, OTOH, there’s not much use for tuxedo kicks after-the-fact.

• merilee
          Posted August 13, 2020 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

I remember the horrendous bridesmaid dresses I had to wear (only once each) in a couple of friends’ weddings. I made my own wedding dress and wore it several times thereafter.

Posted August 13, 2020 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

See, smart man advice.

• jezgrove
      Posted August 13, 2020 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

“Dig the groom’s tux and sneakers look, man” – looks like he’s ready to make a quick getaway!

• merilee
        Posted August 13, 2020 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Quick getaway. With the bride, one hopes.

• jezgrove
          Posted August 13, 2020 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Maybe they re-enacted the last scene from The Graduate just before the ceremony?

• jezgrove
            Posted August 13, 2020 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

If so, I hope it was out of choice!

4. Posted August 13, 2020 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Wow, Joe, amazing photographs. These belong in a show in a swanky gallery somewhere, including the Walmart one which might be my favorite if the others weren’t so so striking!

Posted August 13, 2020 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

At first I thought you were suggesting the photos should be displayed in Walmart and I figured “wow that’s either a weird insult or I’ve missed something about Walmart”. 😀

5. Posted August 13, 2020 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Excellent photos of our species!

6. notsecurelyanchored
    Posted August 13, 2020 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Love those photos.

7. Jim batterson
    Posted August 13, 2020 at 9:01 am | Permalink

These are great pictues (portraits?). Free ranging Homo sapiens.

Posted August 13, 2020 at 9:05 am | Permalink

… I found my keys. They were in the freezer at home;

Keep that sorta stuff up, boss, gonna be time for one of those “person, man, woman, camera, tv” quizzes. 🙂

9. GBJames
    Posted August 13, 2020 at 9:10 am | Permalink

I love these photos.

Posted August 13, 2020 at 9:27 am | Permalink

I love “street” too. There are several good “street” groups on Flickr.

Hong Kong, BnW Lines
    • merilee
      Posted August 13, 2020 at 9:30 am | Permalink

What is it about freezers today? I went down to the deep freeze with some scissors to bring up some lamb kebabs from a Costco multi pack. I cut the kebabs and while rearranging the freezer put them right back in…Remembered in about 10 minutes…

• Posted August 13, 2020 at 9:38 am | Permalink

I think we all have related freezer stories. Why do they hate us so?

Posted August 13, 2020 at 11:32 am | Permalink

At least you remembered.

Posted August 13, 2020 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

At least you remembered. I would have never remembered again. Maybe I need the cognitive test. I’ve been extra ditzy all week.

Posted August 13, 2020 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Cognitive test: Can you remember the list given previously. Hint: starts with “man”.

Posted August 13, 2020 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

I forgot camera. 😦 I’m tired though.

11. docbill1351
    Posted August 13, 2020 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Re keys:

Person. Man. Woman. Camera. TV.

Elephant. Humpy back horse. Big nose dog.

12. eric
    Posted August 13, 2020 at 9:54 am | Permalink

I feel like that kid today.

Good pics. 🙂

13. Posted August 13, 2020 at 10:02 am | Permalink

These are terrific!

14. uommibatto
    Posted August 13, 2020 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Lovely photos!

15. Posted August 13, 2020 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Get one of those RFID or NFC tags to attach to your key ring. Not so geeky. Then use your phone to locate your lost keys. I have never used one but I suspect they work well.

• Posted August 13, 2020 at 10:34 am | Permalink

I should also say that these technologies only work over short distances so might help only if you lose your keys within your house. On the other hand, their associated apps might track the last place they were detected. Then there’s also GPS but that’s more expensive and involves batteries.

Posted August 13, 2020 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I have a Tile on a few different things. I had on in my bag that I left in the student centre at work. That place is massive and anyone can go there, even people not on campus. I found the lost and found box using the locator and I found it in there (locked so I had to get security to open it for me). At the same time the nice student who found it found me on Facebook and sent me a message that she put it in the lost and found. I was so impressed at the effort she took that I went up to the Student Accounts area and put some money on her student account. I always try to generously award good behaviour.

• Posted August 13, 2020 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

So are you a Tile fan? Sounds like you are. Are there any downsides? It seems like cool technology but I haven’t found a strong enough need to get into it. Like many guys, I keep stuff like keys in the pockets of my jeans. The only time I lose them is when they have slipped out of my pocket in the car. That’s pretty much where I look first when I can’t place them.

Posted August 13, 2020 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

I have Tile and Trackr and Tile is much better because the batteries last longer. They’ve also diversified their range of products so you can get smaller versions and stick it on things, however those don’t have user replaceable batteries like some of their other Tiles. I like the Tile Pro because it has a larger ringer and a user replaceable button battery that lasts a year. The app on your phone will tell you if the battery is kaput but you should probably check them every now and then (something I am terrible at). The downside is the app nags you to turn on location services and I have it set for only when using the app. Yes, it’s best to have it always on but I worry about draining my cellphone battery with location services always on.

The app shows you where your device was last heard on a map and if you lose it, you can mark it as lost and whenever someone passes where your devices is, the two tiles talk to each other using a passive system and then your tile reports that someone has found it and the location on a map so you can go look for your stuff. With Bluetooth being much more efficient these days the range and the battery life is quite good. You can also ring your phone from the Tile if you misplace it. I think there is also a feature for your tile to squawk if you get out of range with your phone but I turn that off as I’m always wondering away from my various Tiles with my phone….handy though it you misplace your phone in public a lot (I did that once and panicked half to death and I was lucky again a student turned it in).

Posted August 13, 2020 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Oh and Apple is rumoured to be coming out with their own tracking device so if they do I may try one of those if reasonably priced and replace some of my Trackr products.

• Posted August 13, 2020 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

I thought some of them didn’t require batteries in the device itself. They resonate with a signal emitted by the phone. Perhaps that has too limited a range to be practical for finding lost objects.

Posted August 13, 2020 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

No they work with Bluetooth with the device transmitting. The range is limited by bluetooth and by the power output of the Tile. The Tile Pro has the best range. I think something like 400 feet.

16. Posted August 13, 2020 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Nice photos Joe! 🙂

17. Posted August 13, 2020 at 11:40 am | Permalink

I love these!

18. Richard Jones
    Posted August 13, 2020 at 11:54 am | Permalink

What stunning pictures. I’d like to see more of Joe Routon’s work.

19. Richard Jones
    Posted August 13, 2020 at 11:57 am | Permalink

And google is my friend. Many photos by Joe.

20. Diana MacPherson
    Posted August 13, 2020 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

The Walmart picture looks like someone was shopping for new legs.

Jerry, you should get a Tile and put it on your keys. I don’t know how you found them in the freezer. If I can’t make it make a sound I’ll never find it again.

• Posted August 13, 2020 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Well, I retraced what I did when I came home yesterday. I put a few things out that I carried home in a bag (a book and some papers) and then went to the freezer to take out a chicken breast for defrosting. So I finally went to the freezer and there were my keys. I am not demented, but I’m going to always think to myself when I come inside: “put your keys in place X.”

I used to leave my car lights on and run down my battery, but now, every time I park and it’s dark, I tell myself, “Turn lights off before opening door.” (My old car doesn’t signal if I leave the lights on.)

Posted August 13, 2020 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I too try to put things in their right place and for the most part it works but I find around the house I misplace my phone the most because I’m carrying it around and using it. Same with reading glasses.

• Jim batterson
        Posted August 13, 2020 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

So the keys were in the freezer. You might want to check on where you put the ice cream?

Posted August 13, 2020 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

That sounds like a great memory device. Chaining your irrational behaviors. 🙂

21. ploubere
    Posted August 13, 2020 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

These are excellent photos! Each tells a story in its own way, a talent that separates good photographers from people with cameras.

Posted August 13, 2020 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Loved every photo. I would hate to have to choose a favorite. Though that skater photo would have been my choice when I was a young skater myself. Sick! As they are wont to say. 🙂

23. Mike Deschane
    Posted August 13, 2020 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

First question my wife or I ask the other when searching for a lost item; “Did you check the freezer?” It just seems to be the most likely place to look.

Cool street pictures!