Photos of readers

One in the tank after this one, and then it’s dry. Do send in your photos, lockdown or otherwise (maximum 2, though I’ve been known to put up 3, like today), along with a caption.  Today’s reader is Alicia Fraile from Spain. She sent a fossil photo, though it looks carved rather than preserved. Alicia’s captions are indented.

I live in Madrid, Spain, and I work both as a psychiatrist (outpatients; main job) and translator (English to Spanish) of medical texts. The lockdown meant working from home, with innumerable phone calls, going out very very little for months.

Attached is a selfie trying on my latest facemask (and hair in disarray, lockdown’s style), compulsory everywhere. This is a strange summer we are living, and let’s see what Fall brings us.

As it took me many weeks to be able to read a book while in lockdown, I crocheted amigurumis, most of which I gave away to friends and familiy; this is one of the latest, but pretty cute, right?

The ‘reader’s wildlife photo’ with a question and question mark is a fossil that a patient gave me as a present about twenty years ago. He got it in the mountains south of Madrid (Montes de Toledo), I think. That’s all I know about it and I would love to have a name, perhaps you or the readers would be so kind to provide one? It is the only ornament on my table and has survived a few house moves.

JAC: I wrote Alicia that the fossil looks suspiciously handmade, but readers can weigh in below.

1. Randall Schenck
    Posted July 18, 2020 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Another psychiatrist, maybe we should be asking for help here. Spain is a very interesting place but my visits were so long ago.

2. Charles A Sawicki
    Posted July 18, 2020 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Definitely a carved fossil, but thoughtful!

3. Posted July 18, 2020 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

In Arizona, they may still (use to) imprison scorpions in plastic molds. That fossil looks crafted.

Posted July 18, 2020 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Yes, I’d say it’s a crude tourist trinket. BTW, what’s that white thing with the apple on it in two of the pictures? Nobody ever tells me what’s going on. I just have to humbly ask.

• Posted July 18, 2020 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Its the Apple wireless mouse. Instead of buttons the entire top is a “touch” surface.
      You are a PC user. 🙂

Posted July 18, 2020 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

PC user here. 🤪

• Alicia
      Posted July 18, 2020 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

I took the photo of the mouse for size reference, under the impression, false it seems, that everybody in the US used Mac, so much more than Windows (just the oppossite here)

Posted July 18, 2020 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Mac saw its share of the U.S. market grow from 12.6 percent to 13.0 percent in the last year.

Posted July 18, 2020 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Cool mask, Alicia. Looks like something designed by a tattoo artiste.

• Posted July 18, 2020 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Interesting message on the mask too: “Goodbye Patriarchy”.

• Alicia
      Posted July 18, 2020 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Thank you! I got it online at a shop (198) I first heard about in the newspaper… apparently, the most famous vicepresident of our Goverment (four vicepresidents, it is) likes to buy stuff there.
      I liked the message too (they also had the feminist symbol and the Spanish Republic flag, probably not suitable for work)

• Ken Kukec
        Posted July 18, 2020 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Good to see the sisterhood is still fuerte.

Posted July 19, 2020 at 11:08 am | Permalink

I’ve never heard of Amigurumi, and yes, it’s cute. That looks like a fun hobby, if I were your friend, I’d be happy to receive one. 🙂

• Alicia
      Posted July 20, 2020 at 2:39 am | Permalink

Thank you! Yeah, everybody (almost) loves them, I’ve done penguins, baby Yoda, little whales, Snoopy, doll, apple… right now, 1-inch icecream cones and mugs of coffee.
      It all started because I always liked crochet and the tutoríals bring me calm when I’m anxious (when I found out that USians had elected Trump, I had to watch some videos about making bread and dough, another soothing activity!)

7. Posted July 20, 2020 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the photos Alicia, fun to see you.