Caturday felid trifecta: A klepto cat from Prestwich, a tree turned into a cat sculpture at Stephen King’s Maine home; a virtual exhibit of “Cats in Art” at Paris’s Grand Palais (and lagniappe)

This klepto cat resides near Matthew’s town of Manchester. Click on the screenshot to read about the purloining felid:

When Jane Dennerly discovered a pair of gloves on her door mat, she was not sure what to think.

But, soon they were coming thick and fast.

She would often return from work at night to be greeted by yet another present at the front door.

Along with an increasing number of gloves, there were cloths, paint brushes – even a pair of knickers.

It did not take her long to find the culprit.

Her seemingly sweet cat, Bella, had been pinching items from unsuspecting neighbours in Prestwich under the cover of darkness.

It’s Bella, a calico! (All images via UGC):

“They just kept coming and coming,” said Ms Dennerly.

“I have a massive bag of gloves, there are about 50 odd in there. Some of them are brand new.

“She started doing it about four years ago.

“We have had everything from workman’s gloves, gardening, even surgical gloves. She has even brought back a paint brush and a pair of knickers in the past.”

The nine-year-old pet prefers to strike in the summer months when neighbours have spent the day in their gardens.

Once the coast is clear, she takes what she likes before carrying it home.

Here are some of Bella’s haul (the owners have not been located):

And how she leaves them for her staff:

*************

From NBC News Center in Maine, we learn that an insect-infested tree in the front yard of authors Stephen and Tabitha King is being destroyed, but in a way that turns it into a work of art (click on screenshot):

A quote:

The tree stood in front of the house for about 300 years, but with the years it got bug-infested. The King’s decided to cut it down, leaving only the trunk.

Tabitha King wanted to do something special with it, and give new life to the tree.

The remaining trunk is now being carved into art by Josh Landry, a professional wood carver from North Anson. Landry is giving the tree a whole new spin based on Tabitha’s suggestions.

“She wanted it to be a bookshelf in the tree and she kinda wanted the tree to be giving everything to us, meaning…it kinda like morphed into the bookshelf, the tree gives oxygen, obviously for the cats, the books, the paper, the wood to build the book-shelf, everything comes from the tree…so it was really neat to do,” Landry said.

Here’s a photo of part of the sculpture that shows the cats. From reading his book on how to write, I got the impression that the Kings favored d*gs, but maybe they came to their senses and got cats.

Here’s a photo of the whole thing posted on the Bangor, Maine Police Department’s Facebook page:

**************

The Universal Museum of Art has a virtual exhibit of “Cats in Art History” that you can tour by clicking on the screenshot below. First, a note from French Vogue (translated by Google);

In the midst of a period of confinement, this virtual exhibition on the place of cats in the history of art will warm the heart without a doubt.

When cats inspire artists

Marvel at works of art honoring the cat, without going to a museum. This is what the Universal Museum of Art (UMA) in partnership with the Réunion des Musées Nationaux-Grand Palais is offering with Cats in Art History, a virtual reality exhibition that can be visited in just a few clicks. Playful and instructive, the exhibition looks back at the place of the feline in art and its various symbols that have evolved over the centuries. As the centerpiece of a painting or discreet presence in the background, the cat wanders through many works of art, from a painting by Géricault to a poster for Rodolphe Salis‘s cabaret, not forgetting paintings from Ancient Egypt, where it was considered a true god. Overall, the interactive virtual reality exhibition aims to teach us a little more about our much-loved, enigmatic house panthers.

***************

Lagniappe: A quarantined cat catches virtual fish:

Double lagniappe: reader Divy sent a picture (called “The Shadowing”) of her cats Boba and Jango. Jango is in the foreground:

h/t: Matthew Cobb,Jacques

1. merilee
    Posted April 25, 2020 at 9:41 am | Permalink

🐾🐾

2. Posted April 25, 2020 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Bella’s behavior, bringing home gloves etc, is not unique. I once had a neighbor whose cat did the same. Once it brought home a brassiere! The neighbor had a stall where people could find their missing items, but no one ever claimed anything. I often wonder why a cat would do this sort of thing. A variation on bringing home a mouse or bird, I suppose.

3. Posted April 25, 2020 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Years ago I had a friend whose d*g brought things home. My friends built box on their fence for all the goodies the d*g filched. One day, as my friends were going to work, they noticed the d*g (a malamute. I think) had stolen an orange sweater and slept with it in his bed in the garage. They were running late, and decided to extricate the sweater later, and left. When they came home, the sweater was gone. The next morning, it was back. This time there was time to extricate it and put it in the box on the fence. As they reached for it, it raised it’s head, purred, and said ‘meow’. The d*g had found a large cat, about 20-25 lbs worth for a friend. When my friends moved, and couldn’t take the cat, he came to live with us.

• Glenda Palmer
      Posted April 25, 2020 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Great pet story.🐶🐱

4. Debra Coplan
    Posted April 25, 2020 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Thank you for the story on the museum. I will spend a lot of time going to that museum today.

5. EdwardM
    Posted April 25, 2020 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Years ago I lived in Seattle and I had a kitty, Miss Weezy (her name was Louisiana), who was a klepto kitty too. We had a line hung outside my house which over time had many things pinned to it, various gardening gloves, hair scrunchies, sun glasses, even a bikini top. Nailed to the post was a sign saying; “our cat is a thief – if any of these are yours, we’re sorry”. She usually just left them on my bed but sometimes she’d hop onto my chest while I was asleep and drop them onto my face. Miss Weezy also brought us moss too (roof moss, who knows where she got it). And grapes, for some reason. She was an odd one.

• Posted April 25, 2020 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Did you live on Phinny Ridge by any chance?

6. Charles Jones
    Posted April 25, 2020 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I love taking photos of our cats with laser eyes. It gives them a lovely aura of sci fi menace.

7. Glenda Palmer
    Posted April 25, 2020 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I have passed the link to the VR Cats in Art History on to my Art History study group leader. What an excellent website it is. Thank you for sharing that information.

8. Posted April 25, 2020 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Hey, Bella, could you fetch some surgical masks for me, please? 🙂

9. Susan Davies
    Posted April 25, 2020 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Oohh! The cats in that photo are obviously aliens working on their plan to take over the world. Ahh, wait a sec…

• catmentality
      Posted April 25, 2020 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Too late, they have taken over, me at least.

10. ashdeville
    Posted April 26, 2020 at 1:17 am | Permalink

I have a Burmilla whose daily ritual is to bring home a mouse in the middle of the night, and to then decapitate it, eat the top half of the body and to leave the head (which always has a shocked expression on its face) pointing towards the remains of its body. It genuinely looks as if he takes great care to position the remains in this position

11. Andrea Kenner
    Posted April 30, 2020 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

This was a fantastic trifecta! I especially liked the carved tree in front of Stephen King’s house!