It’s a bird, it’s a plane. . . . it’s Chicago!

I’m having severe trouble concentrating on writing today, and I’m 100% sure this is malaise from lockdown and all the bad news. I am also getting grumpy.

Here, have two pictures of Chicago that I took yesterday evening from my crib. One has a bird in it, the other a plane. I have to say that the view of downtown is much clearer than usual; perhaps this is due to a lack of air pollution. After all, there’s hardly any traffic.

Spot the bird (extra points if you identify it):

Final approach to O’Hare (spot the plane):

1. Posted April 16, 2020 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Obviously, it’s a pterodactyl.

• jedijan
      Posted April 16, 2020 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

My original guess was that is a bald eagle but now I am left wondering if the wingspan was wide enough, and I don’t know of any other white headed birds in the U.S. to suggest any other.

I cannot see any aircraft so I shall hazard a guess at a 767 just because no one else did.

• jedijan
        Posted April 16, 2020 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Correction: Spotted the aircraft (or budgie smudge on thedead window) 1/3 from left across, and 1/3 up from bottom of screen. Could be a UFO looking from here though … or that budgie smudge.

2. BobTerrace
    Posted April 16, 2020 at 9:39 am | Permalink

I see the bird and it has fairly large wings but I can’t see it clearly enough (maybe an eagle).

I could not find the plane although 4 other spots on my screen tells me it is time to clean it.

• Posted April 16, 2020 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Saw both. Bird might be a bald eagle because of the white head. Cannot identify the airplane species.

• sted24
      Posted April 16, 2020 at 9:55 am | Permalink

It helps if you enlarge the image.

It’s a 737.

• Posted April 16, 2020 at 10:10 am | Permalink

I was going to guess that solely on the basis of probability.

• sted24
          Posted April 16, 2020 at 11:09 am | Permalink

I am afraid that despite my deinite-seemingness that is exactly what I did!

• Posted April 16, 2020 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Definitely not a 737 Max. 😉

3. John Laughlin
    Posted April 16, 2020 at 10:00 am | Permalink

an Eagle

4. Charles A Sawicki
    Posted April 16, 2020 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Bald eagle…

Posted April 16, 2020 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Eagle.
    747.
    Do I get extra points?

6. mike j
    Posted April 16, 2020 at 10:32 am | Permalink

spot the eagle in photo #2. Too much time…

7. Paul Matthews
    Posted April 16, 2020 at 11:04 am | Permalink

The bird looks like a turkey vulture to me. No idea what the plane is. It makes me realize that I haven’t seen a plane flying overhead in some time, which makes sense as I assume there aren’t many flights these days. This makes me wonder to what extent domestic flights have been curtailed here in Canada. I have to admit I have no idea. I wonder whether others are like me and are beginning to experience “virus fatigue”. I’ve stopped watching the news and the only information I get these days is from CBC radio when I’m in the car. That’s enough.

• Liz
      Posted April 16, 2020 at 11:31 am | Permalink

I was also thinking turkey vulture or osprey.

8. normwalsh
    Posted April 16, 2020 at 11:33 am | Permalink

What a great time to be a cyclist in any big city.

9. Ray Little
    Posted April 16, 2020 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Obviously a hawk or eagle. Does Chicago have Bald Eagles? More likely a hawk, as a more common species, presumably. Osprey isn’t a bad guess, with that little crook in the wing. If I couldn’t find it, I’d have guessed (knowing Jerry) that it was a duck.

Posted April 16, 2020 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Not really much of a toddlin’ town since the shelter-in-place order took effect, now is it?

Hell, bet you can’t even see a man dance with his wife these days, except on video.

11. Posted April 16, 2020 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

I’ve never seen a bald eagle in Chicago, but I suppose some Googling will give the answer. In fact, I don’t know what that bird is!

12. jedijan
    Posted April 16, 2020 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

I did spellcheck! No idea how the[dead] window snuck in there.

13. Posted April 17, 2020 at 6:06 am | Permalink

Gull?

And very left edge, midway 😉 from the skyline to top of frame. Not identifiable.