Wednesday: Hili dialogue (and Szaron monologue)

by Matthew Cobb

I’m off to the picket line (UK academics are striking again over unresolved issues relating to pay, pensions, casualisation and equality…), so just time for these two cats. Hili is – unlike mine – not picky:

Hili: I will quickly eat something and return to struggle for peace.

A: Something special?

Hili: No, just in general.

Hili: Szybko coś zjem i wracam do walki o pokój.
Ja: Coś konkretnego?
Hili: Nie, tak ogólnie.
And there’s a newcomer in Dobrzyn, where Szaron, the semi-tamed feral cat, is resting on the veranda:
Szaron: I hope I’m not disturbing anybody.
Szaron: Mam nadzieję, że nikomu tu nie przeszkadzam.

Posted February 26, 2020 at 3:15 am | Permalink

I’m delighted to see the new face has a voice.

2. Dominic
    Posted February 26, 2020 at 3:37 am | Permalink

This may interest readers – from Science
    Do you trust science? These five factors play a big role

• Stephen Mynett
      Posted February 26, 2020 at 7:36 am | Permalink

Here is one guy who certainly does not like science: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/thefreethinker/2020/02/angry-ken-ham-labels-ark-encounter-documentary-propaganda/

If Ham was not so dangerous he would be quite funny.

• Jenny Haniver
      Posted February 26, 2020 at 8:39 am | Permalink

A couple of days ago Darwinwins posted a link to an article about flat earther “Mad” Mike Hughes’s fatal rocket launch – he said he wanted to go up into space to see for himself if the earth was flat. Sadly, instead he fell flat.

In 2017 he declared in no uncertain terms that he doesn’t trust science: https://www.polygraph.info/a/flat-earth-believer-mad-mike-hughes-dies-in-diy-rocket-crash/30454704.html

In fact, he doesn’t just distrust science: “‘I don’t believe in science,’ said Hughes, whose main sponsor for the rocket is Research Flat Earth. ‘I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula. There’s no difference between science and science fiction.'”

Posted February 26, 2020 at 10:14 am | Permalink

“But that’s not science, that’s just a formula.”

That guy was mightily confused.

3. Barbara Radcliffe
    Posted February 26, 2020 at 3:48 am | Permalink

Good luck with the picket line! As a retired Australian scientist, I understand the issues. Scientists are largely under-rated and certainly under-paid. As a woman scientist, I was perhaps more affected than some others. I was the third woman to be awarded a PhD from the Faculty of Agriculture in the University of Adelaide, so had a long history of being and oddity!

• Posted February 26, 2020 at 5:21 am | Permalink

I suppose that sadly, you had to do everything the men did only prove yourself twice as much…

• Posted February 26, 2020 at 10:43 am | Permalink

I’ll add my voice to wish Dr. Cobb good luck too in his and his comrades’ struggle for fairness.

Posted February 26, 2020 at 7:18 am | Permalink

Something to keep you warm on a February picket line:

5. boudiccadylis
    Posted February 26, 2020 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Smithsonian has had two cheetah babies in the past couple weeks. They were IVP and carried by and born to a surrogate. I believe in science.

Another subject has any said anything about how Hili feels about Szaron?

• Malgorzata Koraszews
      Posted February 26, 2020 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Unfortunately, Hili is not friendly and, as she is twice the size of Szaron, we try to restrict ther encounters (she is chaasing him in quite threatning manner when she sees him). So Szaron will not be Hili’s companion but will be living upstairs with a very nice, young couple of servants.

Posted February 26, 2020 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Does Szaron have his own access to outdoors? How do you keep the two cats apart?

• Malgorzata Koraszews
          Posted February 26, 2020 at 10:56 am | Permalink

We always check whether Szaron is on the verandah. If so, Hili is not let out. If the meet in the garden Szaron is able to escape and he has a place in our garage where the entrance is so small that Hili just doesn’t have a chance to go after him.

Posted February 26, 2020 at 11:13 am | Permalink

That’s good to hear. Maybe they’ll learn to get along one day.

• Jenny Haniver
            Posted February 26, 2020 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

I’d bet that when Empress Hili went up to the roof on the 22nd, she was scoping out the domain of the interloper.

Hopefully, they’ll get along in time.

• Posted February 26, 2020 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Aw,that’s too bad.(How is Szaron pronounced?) Nonetheless, Hili and Szaron are two lucky cats!

• Malgorzata Koraszews
          Posted February 26, 2020 at 10:57 am | Permalink

It’s Sharon, like a name. But “szary” means grey in Polish so it suits him perfectly.

• boudiccadylis
        Posted February 26, 2020 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

I’m so sorry. I am aware of the primary dona personalities in cats, especially when they’re convinced it’s their turf. I’m pleased that season has a good home and family. Hili needs to consider when she’s in her senior years, he may be needed comfort. You may tell her I said so. I have much experience, I currently live with 9 cats with ages 14 to 5. They have their moments as do i.lol