Tuesday: Hili dialogue

by Matthew Cobb

It’s a wet morning in Manchester, and I have to be off to London shortly, so no time for anything but Hili, who is doing what cats do:

Hili: Caring for physical fitness and sharp claws is time consuming.
A: Your claws do not need to be so sharp.
Hili: That’s your opinion.
Hili: Troska o fizyczną sprawność i ostre pazurki jest czasochłonna.
Ja: Twoje pazurki nie muszą być takie ostre.
Hili: To jest twoja opinia.

1. Posted February 25, 2020 at 4:00 am | Permalink

Matthew is too modest to note he has a NEW BOOK!

AND he is doing various talks about it – including the Royal Institution

• Dominic
      Posted February 25, 2020 at 4:50 am | Permalink

Also, this is extraordinary – sheep taking curlew eggs

A spider that has lost its egg sack & replaced it with a woodlouse/pillbug

AND a red campion flower that produces fungal spores instead of the plant’s own pollen!

This is why I like Twit*er!

• Jenny Haniver
        Posted February 25, 2020 at 11:52 am | Permalink

The tweets from Dominik render me agape and agog. More please!

• Jim batterson
      Posted February 25, 2020 at 7:10 am | Permalink

The book will be out 21april. Looking forward to it. Meanwhile, Hopefully a video of the march ri talk will be available on the web soon after his talk. I love ri for making so many general lectures widely available.

Posted February 25, 2020 at 8:36 am | Permalink

I’m sure someone will toss up the link when the talk is released.

• Posted February 25, 2020 at 8:09 am | Permalink

I have pre-ordered it! Looking forward to it. I think I like the above cover better than the one that’s apparently going to be on the US release.

• Jenny Haniver
        Posted February 25, 2020 at 11:44 am | Permalink

The above cover is splendid. It’s a kind of dynamic illustration that captures the sort of brainwork that went into writing a book about the brain. Though I’m in the US, if the cover’s redesigned for the US, I must get the UK edition for its cover.

And the recommendation on the cover can’t be beat.

Posted February 25, 2020 at 8:52 am | Permalink

The wolf spider has this behavior in common with cats who nurse ducks.

• boudiccadylis
      Posted February 25, 2020 at 9:25 am | Permalink

That you tube was delightful. When I was young, mid 20’s, i had an experience with Mrs. Wolf spider. First I was was at that time terrified of spiders. Fortunately over that. I was living in a very old cabin. Sawdust for insulation old. Anyway there was a doorway between the two rooms. It seemed every morning as I was getting ready for work she would park herself in the doorway. I was afraid if tried to step over her she’d jump on my leg and if I stepped on her all the babies she was carrying would climb up my legs. After about an eternity she would move on and I’d get to go to work. Never late but more than once harried.

Posted February 25, 2020 at 10:33 am | Permalink

I used to use a broom for self defense. 😎

3. Posted February 25, 2020 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Thanks for the reminder about Dr. Cobb’s book!

The video you posted is actually showing a fox raiding the nest. The correct video is farther down in the comment section – look for the sheep.

• Posted February 25, 2020 at 10:58 am | Permalink

or rather, farther down in the thread….

• Dominic
        Posted February 26, 2020 at 4:55 am | Permalink

Sorry 😦

4. ThyroidPlanet
    Posted February 25, 2020 at 10:59 am | Permalink

WEIT readers will be interested in Andrew Doyle in conversation with Dave Rubin, released today I believe : https://youtu.be/Q_qMWTYhVqk

Posted February 25, 2020 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Doyle is a very astute observer. I was hoping they’d get into some other issues to see where he and Rubin part company. I couldn’t find the full episode on the web page. Probably, for the best. Rubin depresses me.

• ThyroidPlanet
        Posted February 29, 2020 at 1:23 am | Permalink

Part 2 : https://youtu.be/DTNZ0x3HpUU

Posted February 29, 2020 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Thanks Thyroid.

Posted February 29, 2020 at 9:11 am | Permalink

Looks like a lot of agreement on free speech. Good for them.

• ThyroidPlanet
            Posted February 29, 2020 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Rubin mentions a 1-second female-female kiss in thebackground in a fleeting scene in the latest Star Wars. I read that this one second piece was removed in certain countries.

Posted February 29, 2020 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Probably removed in Islamic countries.

• ThyroidPlanet
        Posted February 29, 2020 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Aaaand part 3: https://youtu.be/zZb8nWUJyVM

… artificial intelligence or machine learning is doing this – I’m just the meat puppet.

Posted February 29, 2020 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Thanks again. I don’t understand why they segment the show. Short attention spans?

5. Nicolaas Stempels
    Posted February 25, 2020 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

I see a fox taking eggs on that video, but no sheep doing so. Quid?