As the number of commenters and readers has grown here, so has the degree of rancor, name-calling and vituperation on this site; and I often can’t keep up with the comments because of other commitments. So let me emphasize again a few long-standing rules.
1. Please do not dominate threads with your comments. If you exceed 15% of the total comments, you are commenting too often. What I particularly dislike is one-on-ones, where two people go hammer and tongs at each other. (I have never seen a rapprochement from these engagements!). Take it to private email if that happens.
2. Please do not comment solely to advertise your own website or a cause that you want promoted. If you think there’s a cause that would interest the readers, please call it to my attention via private email.
3. Please do not call the other commenters names. If you wish, you can call public figures names (I have trouble restraining myself vis-à-vis creationists!), but I don’t want a lot of invective directed at the readers. There are plenty of websites where you can curse to your heart’s content. I can’t guarantee that I’ll find every violation here, but I expect people to abide by this request.
4. Please keep your posts reasonably short; do not write essays. If posts are too long I often contact the commenters and ask them to shorten their remarks. If that happens to you, please do the editing without complaint.
5. Finally, do not diss the host. I don’t mind people criticizing my ideas—indeed, I encourage it—but don’t call me names, don’t tell me I’m a hypocrite, that I should relax, that I should not be posting on certain topics,that I shouldn’t eat BBQ, and so on. This website is like a home to me, and you wouldn’t visit someone’s house for dinner and then insult them. There’s been a surprising lack of social grace in many recent comments. If anything will get you banned here besides moronic creationism, it’s rude behavior.