The treats of Colombia

I have discovered the patacon, a sort of savory tortilla made from deep-fried plantains, mashed into a disk, fried again, and then topped with various goodies. This one has guacamole.  Muy delicioso!

Mini-patacons are also served as appetizers, or with drinks.

1. Jim T
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 7:43 am | Permalink

Double Deep Fried!

What could be better?

• Newish Gnu
      Posted November 9, 2010 at 7:57 am | Permalink

I think the answer lies in my 3-bladed razor.

2. bigjohn756
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 7:55 am | Permalink

Looks like it belongs in a pasture. Watch where you step.

3. John A
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 8:28 am | Permalink

I’m sad to report to you that that is a very UN-traditional patacón (or, “patacón pisaó” as some also call it).

It’s not supposed to be even remotely “tortilla-like”, it’s simply sliced green plantains fried, mashed between two heavy objects, then fried again. More like very thick plantain chips, maximum 3 inches in diameter. Also, they are never topped with anything, especially guacamole, which is a Mexican food.

Still, as nontraditional as that concoction may be, it looks delicious.

4. Dominic
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 8:32 am | Permalink

Persea americana… mmmm – supposed to be good at lowering cholesterol & improving blood pressure according to a recent experiment on rats – Advances in Biological Research 4 (2): 116-121, 2010!

On a base of Musa × paradisiaca (I had to look that name up!). I suppose they use sunflower oil for frying?

• Dominic
      Posted November 9, 2010 at 8:34 am | Permalink

…or soya oil?

5. Posted November 9, 2010 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Yeah a friend/weed dealer used to make them, more according to John A’s formulation. I got the recipe and hope to try to do them up once I get the chance. He’d roll them under a coffee cup. Delicious!

6. Kevin
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Fried plantains as an appetizer are awesome all by themselves.

7. Adam M.
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Mmmmm… fried anything plus guacamole equals awesome. Or anything plus guacamole, period.

8. Posted November 9, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Jerry I would like to thank you for having such good taste in food, shoes, and I suppose also philosophy.

I saw this and I of course immediately needed to try it. The only place in NYC that I can find these is Bogota on 5th Ave in Brooklyn. I’m letting you know to save you all of 30 seconds of googling, if you ever wanted to find them, I suppose? I think I’m just excited.

9. Chris
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

My wife is from Cali, and these are ubiquitous down there. I see them everywhere. Although I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with guacamole. There are a couple varieties. The small, 2-3 inch ones that people eat as a side dish (like fries), typically salted, and then the large ones like the one pictured, upon which different sauces, meats, and cheeses are spread. Both are very tasty.

10. Posted November 9, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Oh, my word, that looks delicious.

11. Posted November 10, 2010 at 1:15 am | Permalink

OK, that looks good. I love trying the local fare.

I’ve been feasting on seafood here in Alexandria, Egypt this week.