Jesus ‘n’ Mo ‘n’ Midgley

The Jesus and Mo artist links this week’s strip to Mary Midgley’s dreadful column* in the June 12 Guardian, “The abuses of science”.

(The best defense of Midgley’s piece I’ve heard is this: “Well, she’s 91.  What do you expect?”)

1. NewEnglandBob
    Posted June 16, 2010 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Well, this cartoon could be in response to a whole slew of apologetic, accommodationists, faitheist or fundagelical pronouncements as well as Midgley’s.

• Posted June 16, 2010 at 10:38 am | Permalink

But it’s also specific to Midgley – the “anti-god warriors” is a direct quote.

• Torbjörn Larsson, OM
        Posted June 16, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

But that is awful, it claims atheism is proposing alternate gods (say, the devil opposite), not an absence of gods – “non-gods warriors”.

I’m not a supporter of ageism as such despite that age related behaviors are observable; so it is a “relief” to note that Midgley seems to have these notions before (cf “scientism”, Wikipedia).

2. Kevin
    Posted June 16, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

I really love Jesus&Mo.

Always a highly topical and insightful cartoon. Pure genius to be able to boil down volumes of blather (mine included, I must confess) into four concise, razor-sharp panels.

I suspect the god-bots still won’t get it, no matter how evident it is.

3. SLC
    Posted June 16, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

(The best defense of Midgley’s piece I’ve heard is this: “Well, she’s 91. What do you expect?”)

Just like the best defense of Helen Thomas’ equally dimwitted statement is that she’s 89.

4. Shatterface
    Posted June 16, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

I used to read The Guardian at one stage. Was it always this bad and I just hadn’t noticed because I was caught up in my own smugness at reading a ‘grown up’ broadsheet, or is this nuttiness new?

• Ian
      Posted June 17, 2010 at 6:07 am | Permalink

No, it used to be far superior! Now they’ve removed the spell-checker.