U.S. ties England

We didn’t deserve to tie, but thanks to U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard (and a bobble by the English goalkeeper) we staved off a strong English offense to tie 1-1. I’ll be back in the U.S. Monday.

1. litchik
    Posted June 12, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

did you know soccer is an English term? Twas slang, as in Ruggers. Soc being short for association. See what happens when you let people in striped scarves emigrate?

2. Posted June 12, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Who’s “we”?

• NewEnglandBob
      Posted June 12, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

I believe he is referring to the team from his native land with the term “we”. (USA)

3. Willis Dean Buchanan
    Posted June 12, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

We didn’t deserve to tie

I think we deserved to win 2-1!!! We look forward to having you back.
    Dean

4. Mark Jones
    Posted June 12, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

LOL, “we staved off a strong English offense to tie 1-1”. You’d be laughed out the pub if you said that – we’re divided by a common language for sure!

The US are an excellent team and are only ranked 6 places behind England; the US deserved the point, just about. Well played. Hopefully we’ll both qualify.

• Friend of Icelos
      Posted June 12, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Being a Yank myself (and not particularly interested in sports), I had to look up the British use of the term to get your joke. That certainly is an inconvenient disparity in meaning.

• Grokes
        Posted June 13, 2010 at 3:48 am | Permalink

USA Holds England to a Draw

We didn’t deserve to draw, but thanks to our keeper Tim Howard (and a howler from his hapless English counterpart)we survived strong English pressure to draw 1-1.

Fixed it.

5. Sigmund
    Posted June 12, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Offense!
    Fnaaar!

6. justsearching
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 1:08 am | Permalink

The American goalie should give Green a few tips in between matches.

7. justsearching
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 1:12 am | Permalink

Check out how some conservatives have decided to hate on the World Cup for political reasons. I’m fine with Americans not liking football/soccer, but this is silliness.

• FrankNStein
      Posted June 13, 2010 at 4:00 am | Permalink

They just have to hate everythiung they don’t underatand, don’t they?
      That said, yesterday wasn’t great football, but having a team that keeps England under sontrol is worth a compliment.
      AND America has the best WC song.
      Even though the rest of the world is glad there is something you are not dominating 😉 … I’d be willing to support the team, as long as tehy don’t play against Germany 😉

• Galahad Threepwood
        Posted June 14, 2010 at 9:22 am | Permalink

I really hope the USA doesn’t have to play Germany, FrankNStein. They looked scary good yesterday. If they keep playing at that level, there’s no telling how far they can go.

8. Ian
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 4:44 am | Permalink

I take ‘offence’ at ‘offense’. Webster has a lit to answer for.

Whilst it is true that the US played well, especially when ‘attacking’ their ‘defence’ became weaker as the game progressed and to be fair, goalkeeper’s cock-ups apart, England should have scored at least 4 goals. On the night 1-1 was a fair score.

9. Posted June 13, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Even felines can play with soccer balls:

10. Sigmund
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Mind you, Jerry’s take on the match is not the worst –

11. Johnny O
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

I hate North American terms used in FOOTBALL…lol

It’s not an “offense”, it’s an “attack”

It’s not a “tie” it’s a “draw”.

Oh and I’m also Scottish so I’m still LMAO at the goal Rob Green let in. (Or was it a “score”?)

• CDubya
      Posted June 13, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Scotland’s keeper will show Green how it’s done! Which group are they in again?

• Adey
        Posted June 14, 2010 at 2:25 am | Permalink

In with the Faeroes, I think

• Johnny O
        Posted June 14, 2010 at 11:16 am | Permalink

LOL… The only group we’re in is the “group booking” of a holiday.

It is cheaper that way after all.

• Posted June 14, 2010 at 6:20 am | Permalink

I’m a Jock too! I take offence at the cr4p that has been fired at the poor chap in goal for Engerland! After all, he was the last in line – not the ONLY one. Where were the defence? and why were the forwards not scoring?

As an ex goalkeeper at school, I have every sympathy for him.

But the result was great!

My English team won at the weekend though – McLaren F1. 🙂

Cheers,
      Norm.

12. Galahad Threepwood
    Posted June 14, 2010 at 8:40 am | Permalink

England should have scored again in the second half (in particular, Heskey and Johnson’s shots were disappointing). That said, I thought the USA played pretty well throughout, and when Altidore blew past Carragher and broke for goal, it seemed like they were certain to take the lead. The remaining group matches are winnable for the Americans and English, and I hope they both qualify.