Billboard of the day

Unnecessary quotation marks are my bête noire, but these seem appropriate:slide_3311_46910_large

See more examples here.

1. Diego
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 6:16 am | Permalink

In Calgary, Georgia they have a Mule Day Museum (or Muleseum, as I like to say) and ever single information display is chock full of seemingly random quotation marks scattered though the text. I took some photos at the time, but can only find one, not particularly heinous example. Here it is:

TOBACCO LEAF STRINGER
    The “tobacco leaf stringer” was used to “string” tobacco leaves so they could be “cured” or dried, prior to sales.

2. Posted October 23, 2009 at 6:53 am | Permalink

Scare quotes that live up to their name.

3. newenglandbob
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 7:34 am | Permalink

Oh, No! You sent me to the Huffington “Post” “blog”.

4. Posted October 23, 2009 at 10:08 am | Permalink

I used to do a lot of editing on Wikipedia, and the Wikimedia markup language specifies italics with two single-quote. In other words, ”this would be italicized”. During the time when I was most heavily editing Wikipedia, I occasionally caught myself in e-mails or blog comment forms accidentally trying to add emphasis like ”this” instead of like *this* or like this.

So when I see this kind of thing, I just tell myself that the people doing the billboard were Wikipedia addicts. It’s almost certainly untrue, but it’s a comforting delusion. (Does that make me religious? heh)

5. Posted October 23, 2009 at 10:59 am | Permalink

The atheists are sabotaging the Xians.

Why not? They’re can’t be expelling ID scientists all of the time, might as well mess up a billboard once in a while.

Glen Davidson

6. Occam
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Holy Mess!

7. KP
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

A bit OT, but in Science today there is an interesting article on fighting ID/creationism in Hong Kong.

• hempenstein
      Posted October 23, 2009 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Interesting, the Kwok in this story agitates FOR evolution!

8. daveau
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

If you are not actually quoting anything, I interpret quotes as meaning “not really this”. So that sign is perfect.

I do have an issue with apostrophitis. (As in cigarette’s) It’s ubiquitous; even in professional ads. Makes me twitch.

• Posted October 23, 2009 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

I caught myself doing it in a comment on some blog just yesterday. Unfortunately it was a blog where you can’t edit once a comment was posted. Deeply embarrassing. Thankfully, nobody pointed it out 🙂

9. Screechy Monkey
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

It’s not just “your” bete noire; there is an entire “blog” devoted to this “phenomenon.”

10. Posted October 23, 2009 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

God, troops, American, family – an impressive quantity of hooray words for such a short announcement.

11. ennui
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

nice catch on the accent circonflexe

12. Ryan
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Thats great! There is a Taco Bell near me in San Diego that says the following:
    —–
    Sorry we do not accept larger than “$20” dollar bills.
    —–
    Its hilarious both because of the unnecessary quotes, but also because of the redundant dollar sign.

13. Sili
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Poor troops.

I’d thank the troops for the troops, but I’m odd like that. Not wasting gratitude on the Easter Bunny an’ all.