Jesus appears in Marmite

A little midweek humor from the BBC, although, of course, the family who found the saviour’s image in vegetable goo doesn’t think it’s funny at all.

“We’ve had a tough couple of months; my mum’s been really ill and it’s comforting to think that if he is there, he’s watching over us.”

Family sees Jesus image in Marmite

It may not be immediately obvious to everyone, but one family are convinced that they can see the face of Jesus on the lid of a jar of Marmite.

Claire Allen, 36, said she was the first to notice the image on the underside of the lid as she was putting the yeast spread on her son’s toast.

Her husband Gareth, 37, said he could not believe his eyes when he saw it.

Mr Allen, of Ystrad, Rhondda, said: “The kids are still eating it, but we kept the lid.”

He explained: “Claire saw it first and called her dad to come and take a photo of it.

“When I first looked at it I wasn’t sure, but when I moved it away from me it started coming out. I thought yeah, she’s right – that’s the image of Jesus.

Mrs Allen said her 14-year-old son Jamie had also remarked on the likeness.

She told the South Wales Echo: “Straight away Jamie said ‘that looks like God’, and my other boys (Robbie, four, and Tomas, 11) even said they could see a face.

“People might think I’m nuts, but I like to think it’s Jesus looking out for us.”

Image from BBC website.  Thanks to Andrew Berry for calling this to my attention.

1. Dave
    Posted May 28, 2009 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Here’s a goo done. Shermer’s recent Scientific American essay.

-“The answer has two parts, starting with the concept of “patternicity,” which I defined in my December 2008 column as the human tendency to find meaningful patterns in meaningless noise. Consider the face on Mars, the Virgin Mary on a grilled cheese sandwich, satanic messages in rock music. Of course, some patterns are real. Finding predictive patterns
    in changing weather, fruiting trees, migrating prey animals and hungry predators was central to the survival of Paleolithic hominids.

But we do something other animals do not do. As large-brained hominids with a developed cortex and a theory of mind—the capacity to be aware of such mental states as desires and intentions in both ourselves and others—we infer agency behind the patterns we observe in a practice I call “agent­icity”: the tendency to believe that the world is controlled by invisible intentional agents. We believe that these intentional agents control the world, sometimes invisibly from the top down (as opposed to bottom-up causal randomness). Together patternicity and agent­icity form the cognitive basis of shamanism, paganism, animism, polytheism, monotheism, and all modes of Old and New Age spiritualisms.”-

2. Posted May 28, 2009 at 8:51 am | Permalink

I see my deity in my food all of the time. Then again I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster and I love pasta…

3. SeanK
    Posted May 28, 2009 at 9:12 am | Permalink

It’s amazing how people always see the image of Jesus. How do they know what he looks like? I think that blob of goo looks more like my Uncle Fred than Jesus.

4. Emily
    Posted May 28, 2009 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Eh, I’ve seen better. Check out the Jesus pancake:

5. Gingerbaker
    Posted May 28, 2009 at 9:45 am | Permalink

It never ceases to amaze me how easy Christians are to please.

A god who can create all the stars in the heavens in an instant, yet all he can do for the family is… rearrange some Marmite?

6. KittysBitch
    Posted May 28, 2009 at 10:57 am | Permalink

That’s not Jesus, it’s Lemmy from Motorhead.

7. DagoRed
    Posted May 28, 2009 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

People always see what they want to see.
    I actually see two people facing each other, and one is touching the other’s erection…but I am guessing this is one of those moments where I am sharing a bit too much information.

• Hempenstein
      Posted May 28, 2009 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

You’re right, but it’s two penguins, and one does indeed have an erection!

That could lead to a whole new Monty Python sketch – “Wat’s in the Marmite?”

8. newenglandbob
    Posted May 28, 2009 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

How appropriate, that family’s god is a bunch of goo.

In the voice of Groucho Marx:
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

9. Greg
    Posted May 28, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Would I be a total stick-in-the-mud to point out that Marmite is yeast extract, and therefore more of a fungal goo than vegetable?

10. Posted May 28, 2009 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

That would look like Jesus if Jesus were a Spanish ex-Conquistador on cannabis, but I think it looks more like a hand reaching for a sphynx.

11. Don
    Posted May 29, 2009 at 7:38 am | Permalink

That’s not jesus, it is rather the Dude in the Big Lebowski.

12. David
    Posted May 31, 2009 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Looking at those eyes, the first thing that popped into my head was, that’s a cylon (not that there’s anything wrong with that…)

13. Edd Almond
    Posted June 3, 2009 at 9:20 am | Permalink

How do they know it’s not the Devil who put an image of Jesus in there? Maybe Marmite is sinful?

14. Posted June 5, 2009 at 8:25 am | Permalink