The story of Honey and the Botany Pond ducks: a school project by Meghan Hammond

Meghan Hammond is a rising senior at The Laboratory School, part of the University of Chicago that gives secondary-school education in a high-class way.  During the virtual-learning part of the semester, her English class, called “Tell Me a Story”, assigned as a final project the production of an audio “story” by the students. They could choose any topic or story they wanted.

Meghan, who had been around the duck pond watching Honey et al. for a year, and eventually helped feed them, decided to do her project on “The Botany Pond Ducks,” and told their story in a 16-minute “podcast”. If you listen, you’ll see that Meghan interviews me, the Secret Duck Farmer, and then adds her own experiences. (Meghan, by the way, also filmed the definitive—and unique—video of Honey and her babies jumping out of the nest on May 7, which you must see here.)

I was quite impressed, and Meghan got an “A” on the project. There’s audio only, but there’s a cover picture of Honey and nice background music.  I like the story very much (of course!); it reminds me in some respects of the way that NPR’s Radiolab covers science. Congrats to Meghan!

BTW, when I refer to “labbies” at the beginning, those are the students at the Lab School, and I’m referring to those who visited the pond in the past few years and helped feed the ducks.

Posted June 21, 2020 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Congrats to Meghan! Sounds like that “A” didn’t come easy.

Posted June 21, 2020 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Nice.

3. jezgrove
    Posted June 21, 2020 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Yes, congratulations to Meghan for all her hard work. (Hope she had a word with Honey and the brood about sending you that Father’s Day card.)

• Posted June 21, 2020 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

I didn’t get any Father’s Day acknowledgement from Honey or her brood. 😦

• Jim batterson
        Posted June 21, 2020 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

What about wingman?

• Posted June 21, 2020 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

He didn’t either. He’s taken up with one of the three nonbreeding hens who frequent the pond.

4. Debra Coplan
    Posted June 21, 2020 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

This is so well done! I love the soft music in the background with the story. The story is told really well. It’s very engaging.
    Congratulations to Meghan. This project is a wonderful accomplishment.

5. Jim batterson
    Posted June 21, 2020 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Very well done meghan. While i watched the duck cam pretty much every day, this telling of the story and the video of the great leaping were a bit emotional for me. Excellent choice of background music and a wonderful and very professionaly accomplished project. Seeing kids’ creativity these days is very encouraging. Thank you meghan and jerry…and of course the uc administration and facilities folks.

6. Posted June 21, 2020 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

A story worth telling, and well told! And thanks for putting it online!

7. Posted June 21, 2020 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Beautifully done, Meghan. A++.

8. Bruce Thiel
    Posted June 22, 2020 at 7:01 am | Permalink

Ditto with congrats to Meghan and an added pat on the back to Jerry and the other duck pond helpers. I won’t repeat all that was said above, but add that I too enjoyed the narrative. Thanks and good luck, Meghan on all your future endeavors and your help to caretake the world. A+

9. Posted June 23, 2020 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Congratulations, Meghan, on a stellar job! (Sorry for being so late with my comment. Swamped here at home.)