Photos of readers

Meet reader Reese Vaughn, whose captions for her two photos are indented:

Wearing a mask made by my neighbor; it has pictures of llamas. I’m coming to embrace the mask as I feel invisible when I wear it.

And in the second photo, the late Dave England and I row in his hand-made boat on San Antonio Bay, Gulf of Mexico, Texas.

1. merilee
    Posted June 8, 2020 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Llove the llamas!

2. Jenny Haniver
    Posted June 8, 2020 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I love the llamas, too; and that boat is sleek and amazing.

I’m very impressed by both of your friends’ handcrafted products.

3. Randall Schenck
    Posted June 8, 2020 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Looks like a small boat on a big piece of water. But you have your life jackets on.

Posted June 8, 2020 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Looks like weather moving in!

4. Posted June 8, 2020 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Nice photos. I’m always amazed by people who can make boats, guitars, violins and such from scratch.

• Jenny Haniver
      Posted June 8, 2020 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Even sewing face masks. I can’t sew to save my life.

• Posted June 9, 2020 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Have you seen this video on how to hand-sew a mask? No sewing machine needed. All you need are fabric from old t-shirts or tea towels or pjs or whatever, elastic or string or shoelaces or whatever, thread, needle, scissors, and a non-medical mask as a template or wing it. Only the simplest straight stitch is needed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN0HH2Zb2hY

• merilee
          Posted June 9, 2020 at 9:06 am | Permalink

As a US-Canadian might I offer my translation services to Jenny. Tea towel= dish towel.🤓

• Posted June 9, 2020 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

:). Muchas gracias, mi amiga!

• merilee
              Posted June 9, 2020 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

De nada

• merilee
              Posted June 9, 2020 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

De nada

Posted June 8, 2020 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

I’m coming to embrace the mask as I feel invisible when I wear it.

I’ve come to embrace it because it gives me an excuse to skip shaving some mornings.

Cool mask, BTW.

6. Lee Beringsmith
    Posted June 8, 2020 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Great mask, as an owner of a small ranch where we raise llamas, I want one like it.

7. Lee Beringsmith
    Posted June 8, 2020 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

8. Max Blancke
    Posted June 8, 2020 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Wonderful little boat. My parent’s winter place is a few miles from there, and I do a lot of sailing from their dock when I am there. Nice protected waters, but sometimes unexpectedly shallow.
    I automatically respect anyone who is willing to go offshore in a little boat.

Posted June 8, 2020 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

That’s a nice mask…I use one of those 3M construction masks and it’s uncomfortable and makes the area covered moist with water vapor. I think I need a more comfortable/breathable mask…with Llamas!

If I made my own boat, I think I’d be reluctant to actually use it. From what I can see, that looks like a fine vessel.

10. Posted June 8, 2020 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Love to see such creativity and kindness going on.
    However, lovely though that mask is, according to the considerable reading I’ve done on the subject, it is likely to do almost nothing to protect either the wearer or people with whom the wearer spends ‘close’ time if either are infected.
    The gap where her nose meets her cheeks is where most of her intake of air and her exhalation will pass with virus being able to travel easily in either direction.
    Masks, apparently, need to be very close-fitting (with a stiffening device around the sides of the nose) so they hug *all* the contours of the face.
    Denim is being touted here (Australia) as the best material for masks since it’s very closely woven but still most effective when made into a mask that also contains another filtering material (like vacuum cleaner bag filters).
    I’ve even heard it said that if you can smell perfume while you’re wearing a mask, the mask is useless. I’m no expert on the topic, though, and happy to be proven wrong if readers have better knowledge of the topic.